1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Travel lens advice

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by judywisconsin, Apr 29, 2013.

1. judywisconsin

judywisconsin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I have an OMD EM5 with the following lenses: the 12-50 kit lens, a 25 mm Lumix, the 75 mm f1.8, and the 75-300m zoom.
    We are headed out to Utah to "do" the National Parks (Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches).
    I have been thinking I need a "wider" lens - a 12/14/17 - something in that range. Any advice?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 12mm if you can afford it, the 14mm if you can't. :) If you're talking about the new faster 17mm then it would be a fine lens to add to your collection but not really necessary with its proximity to your 25mm.

With either the 12mm or 14mm (12mm preferred) along with your 25mm and 75mm, you will only need to bring out the 12-50mm if you need weather sealing. So you can think of it as not only improving your speed and sharpness but also making your kit more compact.

3. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Why not 9-18? Or 7-14 if funds allow...
    They are not as fast, but there should be many places worth UW lens on your trip.

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    When are you shooting? Overall, I would suggest a small Ultrapod or similar. Use it during the sunset shots or at night, when the shutter speed gets too low. Otherwise, f3.5 would be fine for most daylight shots. For me, I generally find I want more DoF for landscape shots, since I want to make sure the back is in focus enough, as well as whatever is in the foreground.

If you want another lens, don't let my advice stop you. All I am saying is that weight matters, especially when hiking. If it is sunny, I would only bring the 12-50 and 75-300, and possibly the 75 (just has "something" in the images I see). This would allow you to hike longer, and focus on enjoying it more.

5. judywisconsin

Feb 25, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I'm open to the 9-18, or 7-14 - what advantage(s) do they have over the 12 or 14? And in response to Cruzan80, yes, weight DOES matter.

6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I agree with Cruzan80 and would just take the two zooms since you're likely to be shooting in good light and want quite a bit of depth of field in your shots and a compact tripod. Perhaps the 25mm f1.4 for its extra light gathering capability in a normal FOV. If you want to buy another lens specifically for this trip I'd go with a wide zoom like the 7-14 or 9-18 just for the 7mm- or 9mm-12mm range they'd offer - or perhaps the samyang 7.5mm fisheye if you like that kind of thing and want something small and relatively inexpensive.

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm more incline to say stick with what you have....

but

the 14mm is available for under $200 and it weighs very little...

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    There are several threads with the 9-18 vs 7-14 debate. With an OMD, you may develop the purple blob flares on the 7-14, but it gives you the most extra range with the least overlap. With that, you could have between 7-300 with only a gap between 50-75 (roughly the 2x-3x range). Only thing I would say is if you haven't used an UWA for landscapes, it can be very easy to get a lot of empty foreground shots.

Either way, while I wish you lots of good pictures, remember to set the camera aside for parts of the hike and enjoy being there with the rest of the "We" that are traveling with you. Something I think all of us need to be reminded about now and again.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Why do you feel you need a wider lens? The 12-50 is just as wide as any of the ones you mention.

Unless you find the 12-50 to be inadequate in terms of sharpness, I'm not sure what those other 3 lenses are going to gain for you on such a trip, save perhaps for spending more time switching lenses.

In terms of what would be valuable on such a trip, a lot of batteries and a small tripod for early morning/late even shots, if you don't have them already, would be my suggestions.

10. judywisconsin

Feb 25, 2013
    Wisconsin
    (in response to dhazeghi) I was looking for something a little faster than the 12-50. The 12-50 is a great little lens - will definitely be taking it along. Thanks for the other tips too. I do have 3 batteries and plenty of memory cards, as well as a tripod.

11. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I suggest the Samyang/Rokinon 7.5. It should be a lot of fun to shoot in state parks. You'll probably have to use more creativity then with a rectilinear wide angle lens.

And it's cheap...

12. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I don't think 14 or 17 are going to be wide enough if you're going into the canyons. 12-50 with a tripod or rent the 12/2. Buy it later if you love it.

13. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    With the canyons, the 9-18 and 7-14 won't take it all in. Go with a reasonable wide lens that won't render tiny details too tiny. Look for interest in smaller sections of canyons.