Travel Kit

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by bassman, Apr 6, 2014.

1. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    Mods - feel free to move if this isn't the correct forum. But is about Travel, after all. ;-)

Two years ago my lovely wife and I went away for a full month, and I - of course - packed an appropriate photography kit. That kit was centered on a Nikon D7000, used a V1 as a backup, and included seven lenses: the Tokina 11-16/2.8, Nikon 16-85/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, 35/1.8 and the then-complete three lens Nikon 1 kit. I had the requisite filters, a Gitzo 2541 tripod and ballhead, batteries (shared between the two cameras!), cleaning stuff, straps, SD cards, etc. It completely filled a 22" Tumi rolling carry-on bag, and the tripod and some other odds and ends wound up in my checked suitcase.

Shortly we'll be taking another long trip, which will have a slightly lower photographic focus, but nonetheless I'm taking a full kit. But now it's m43-based, and the size difference is extraordinary.

Cameras: E-M1, GX7, three batteries and chargers for each (this is the only "larger" component as they obviously don't share batteries)
    Lenses: 9-18, 12-35, 40-150, 17/1.8, 45/1.8
    Carrying gear: TT Hubba Hubba Hiney, TT Skin 50, two OpTech wrist straps, one OpTech shoulder strap, Spider Black Widow Holster
    Tripods: Me-Photo Backpacker, Manfrotto tabletop
    Filters: 58mm CP and VND, step-up rings 37-58, 46-58, 52-58
    Misc: extra SD cards, cleaning stuff, Apple camera connection kit, etc.

The whole kit, with the exception of the Me-Photo tripod, fits into the TT HHH and Skin 50. We've hashed over the pros/cons of a DX DSLR ad nauseum, so I won't repeat that, but:

- I get two fully functional, great cameras sharing exactly the same lens kit rather than one great camera and a step down in the V1.
    - The lens kit is, on balance, more functional than the DX/CX kit I had last time, with the sole exception of the reach I had with the 2.7 crop for the 70-300 on the V1. Having a fixed 2.8 mid-range zoom is more useful than the wide angle I had last time, and the two 1.8 primes trump the single one I had.

I'm not bringing my square grad filters, as I found I didn't use them that much and can more than make do with HDR techniques. The tripod is clearly a compromise and no one will convince me it will perform at the same level, but I'm anticipating more cityscape and street this time rather than landscape, so it will do.

I know we all know instinctively that this stuff is smaller, but the aggregate improvement is just amazing. The smaller size of the core gear - camera and lenses - leads to smaller bags, smaller filters, smaller support, etc. I don't even need a rolling bag for the airport.

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.