Travel kit

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by alex66, Mar 4, 2014.

1. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    What do you take/ want to take in an ideal world when you trace.
    For me it would be
    2x G3
    1 x EPM2
    12-32 panasonic
    14-140 Panasonic
    45mm Olympus
    17mm Olympus f2.8
    2 chargers for the Olympus and 2 for the G3's 9 batteries for the Panasonics 7 for the Olympus
    about 4/500 gig of SD cards ND and polarising filters for in 37 and 46mm
    At some point the kit will be supplemented with one of the 25's or the 20mm.

I have to test this though as to if I can carry it all around though I would likely leave one of the G3's at the hotel as an emergency camera, if the 14-140 makes it too heavy it will be replaced by a 60mm sigma. I have Fybromyalgia that rather annoyingly dictates what I can carry for extended times, I used to wander with a couple of bigger nikons no issues can not even hold a D90 for more than 20 mins now with out pain. I will walk for miles though with a camera in hand, not notice how much I am doing get home and feel it for days on end.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    FWIW, if you swap the G3's for E-M10's, then you would only have one type of battery to carry with you.

--Ken

3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    True but they are £500 each and the G3's were less than £100 each and I would rather blow the money on lenses, the EPM2 was more £150 with VF3 and 17mm.

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    You want to take 3 bodies, 16 batteries and 4 chargers? Dear god why?

I'd suggest getting a 37-46mm step-up ring so you don't need two sets of filters.

5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    In your shoes:

One G3 plus 14-140mm plus 45mm, or

Two G3s, each with the 17mm and 45mm mounted

Anything more, and you're defeating the reason you downsized from a DSLR in the first place

• Like Like x 1
  6. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    it depends ...

It depends on where I am travelling, why I am travelling, with whom I am travelling and for how long.

Depending on the answers to those questions, my travel kit can vary from a single compact, to a single body (E-M1 or E-P3) with 12-40/2.8 or a couple of primes, to 2-3 bodies and too many lenses. Whichever kit I take I will include spare charged batteries, SD cards, etc. I've never bothered with more than one charger per battery type. Some support will be included, whether a Gorilla, monopod or tripod.

I bought into after my DSLR was burgled from my home while I was overseas. I wanted a system that would give me the quality and photographic experience I wanted, but without the weight and bulk that caused me to leave my DSLR kit at home on that fateful trip. I looked at NEX and m43 and chose m43 based on the range of native glass.

Because even the larger m43 lenses are smaller than their 135 equivalents the temptation is to add another lens to the bag just in case ... Fortunately even when I carry the m43 kitchen sink the bag isn't too bad, and I usually have the foresight to pack a smaller bag too so I can take a smaller subset with me on day trips.

7. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    This gets my vote.

8. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Is the purpose of the trip photography or is photography incidental to the trip? When I was going to the Blue Ridge Mountains for photography, I had a bunch of things that I wouldn't take (and no longer own) if I was traveling with non-photographers. If it's a once in a lifetime trip but with non-photographers, two bodies that take the same battery, three batteries, four SD cards, and three lenses, two mounted on the bodies. If it's somewhere I can get to again easily (day trips to various local attractions), then one body, a spare battery, one or two SD card, and a prime and one zoom. Travel kit to Ometepe Island was one GF1 and the 20mm and 45-200mm lenses, and a battery charger, with a cell phone as the second camera.

Most parts of the world, including this one, you can pick up a spare camera (generally Canon, Nikon, or Sony for the interchangeable lens cameras).

I'm planning a trip to Honduras in the future -- with one GF1, two lenses, probably the 14-45 zoom and the 45-200 zoom for the Panasonic. Copan, Honduras, from here is $100 in bus fares, so something I could do again.

9. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Keep it simple.

A wide, a normal, a telephoto. Primes if I have a moment to take pictures, zooms if I don't. Figure out what kind of trip it's going to be first then decide on your kit because no kit will cover every situation. But one thing is for sure, less is more. If there is a zoom that you can use that covers multiple focal length ranges, bring that + low light prime.

I have done photo intensive trips with just an iPhone before, that's a great backup. I've had a few trips since that I didn't bring a secondary body for. I've pretty much given up on that approach. Just because you have multiple bodies doesn't mean they all need to come with you. Especially if it means you're also packing multiple chargers? Bring 1 charger. Bring a backup battery and a ****load of memory cards instead.

Don't let photos burden your trip, and spend more time enjoying yourself than pressing the shutter.

Looking over your proposed travel kit I'm scared to ask about your luggage... Here are my picks out of your proposal.

Pick one, 1 G3 or E-PM2

Ditto

No

Yes

No

Yes

1 charger for respective body, 2 batteries

10 fast memory cards > 500 slow ones. 46 mm ND & polarizer + step up rings from 37 mm.

Then don't bring the 17/2.8, get the 20 or 25.

10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    My travel kit is a fixed lens zoom camera + a body and a couple of primes. The details vary based on the trip, but I like to keep it as minimal and versatile as possible.

11. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I should point out that most of the stuff gets left behind when wandering around, and invariably I go out with one cam with a zoom and one with a prime, the rest are taken so that if I have a need. Depends on what I am looking for and yes to me the main purpose for travel is photography, those I travel with know this and accept it.

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I tend to either travel alone, or with my girlfriend who has learned to put up with my photographic foibles. How much gear I drag along depends on the destination (the more remote/exotic/less likely to visit again, the more I will tend to take along). For me, photography is one of the great joys of traveling, and reviewing the photographs, selecting a few nice ones and making big prints helps me relive some of those great trips. My GF prefers to take pictures of me in various settings, which I used to find annoying, and now actually don't mind too much. It's fair enough, since I'm always taking pics of her…

Anyway, setups.

1. City trip/location I can visit again with relative ease. Total weight, about 1.1 kg (+1.5kg for the two camera setup)
    - E-M1
    - 12-40
    - charger, 3 batteries total
    optional:
    - 7-14 (interiors love ultrawides, don't always take this along)
    - 45/1.8 (portraits, details, and it's fast and tiny)
    - A7r + 55/1.8 (if I'm in a people shooting mood or don't mind a little more bulk)

2. Backpacking trip, no wildlife, landscapes, far away places. Total weight about 2.4 kilos (+1.5 kg with tripod and UWA zoom)
    - E-M1
    - A7r
    - Olympus 12-40
    - Sony FE 35/2.8, FE 55/1.8
    - Sony RX100 (out on the town, smaller, more subtle camera, used by GF mostly)
    - Chargers, 3 batteries for each camera
    - CPL + step-up rings
    Optional:
    - Panasonic 7-14
    - Tripod (1.2 kg carbon fibre 4-section)

3. Backpacking trip, wildlife+landscape. Total weight about 3.6 kg (+1.5 kg with tripod and UWA zoom)
    Same as backpacking sans wildlife (#2), plus:
    - Olympus 43 50-200/2.8-3.5 SWD
    - MMF3 + EC-14 teleconverter

If there's scuba diving involved, I add my Acquapazza housing for the RX100 and an INON fisheye wet lens (adds another kg). Maybe a macro dioptre (Wet lens) as well. The backpacking + wildlife + scuba weighs in at about 5.5-ish kg in an F-stop ICU small, which fits everything but the ultrawide zoom and wet lens.

13. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Well, I travel either to see people at the location or to see things along the way or both. The photography enhances the experience for me and helps me remember the trip. So, I travel light. That's what brought me to u4/3 in the first place. So, for me it is my G5 and if traveling by car or airplane I'll probably bring my E-PM1 as well. If by my motorcycle then just the G5 and I'll use my iPhone as my second camera. For lenses I bring my three primes (P14, PL25, O45) and sometimes my two zooms (14-42IIr and O40-150). I'm really loving my kit right now. That's not to say there aren't several other lenses I'd love to have right now (Noticron, 100-300, 7-14...).

14. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    E-P5
    viewfinder
    spare batteries
    45mm
    14mm

That's about it really. Travel light and enjoy the trip! Don't fixate on photography but use it as an adjunct to your enjoyment.

15. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I always get a little irritated when folks say 'don't let the photography get in the way enjoying the trip', because to me, it adds to it. On plenty of occasions, I've noticed I see more, experience more strongly, and have a stronger memory of the place precisely because of the photography. I will admit this tends to apply most to natural areas - Patagonia, Africa, Antarctica - and far less to to cities and human structures, which I prefer to just take snapshots of in most cases - cityscapes I like, pictures of strangers I usually don't really gel with, although there are occasional exceptions to said rule (markets and the like, particularly produce/rural/livestock markets, perhaps because it's an intersect of man and nature).

So, my gear list may seem 'heavy', and it's certainly not super light. And most of my 'serious' travel involves getting on a plane, flying for 8-12 hours, getting out in part of the world I don't know well at all, exploring the cities a little, and then getting the hell out of them and heading into the beauties of nature. And seeing with a photographer's eye, soaking up the experience, and the details, and bringing to that the challenge of capturing a sense of the place, of the experience, with the camera. If I'm just visiting friends or family (often abroad), I take a much lighter gear load (camera + 1 or 2 lenses), but I call that visiting friends, not traveling as such :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Well, take every bit of gear you have and enjoy your visit. But asking for people's input and then getting irritated at their answers seems a bit silly to me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    If it's worked for you in the past with similar setup, it'll probably work again.

18. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    For the record, I didn't start this thread - I'm just providing a contrasting view to the 'travel light because you will enjoy the trip more!' implication, sorry if it came across as actually annoyed at anyone specifically. Not my intention.

As outlined above, I really don't take every bit of gear I have, but I do take a lot on longer/far away trips, and I've never regretted it. For me, 5kg (i.e. within even the most ridiculously stringent carry-on allowance) of camera gear that covers wideangle to supertelephoto, includes an ideal landscape setup, and an underwater camera is the very definition of 'travelling light', compared to the Canon gear I used to drag along. I'd rather pack fewer clothes than fewer cameras :)

19. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    this was my travel kit last year for a trip to Tokyo

PA020007_1_.

the e-m5 has since been replaced by an e-m1

I do have a larger Tenba as my carryon 'travel' bag, which takes the camera and lenses, macbook air, an ipad, plus chargers, power supplies etc. The domke goes in the hold luggage.
    If I think I might use them the 50-200 and maybe the macro make it in the bag... but essentially I shoot with whats in the photo

k

20. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Sorry, I mistakenly thought you were the OP. Still, we're all entitled to our opinions on the right gear for us and getting irratited at someone's else's opinion on a matter as personal as this is just aggravation that is not very productive. Each of us has an idea of what works for us and that is what we share. We don't all agree. I have to occassionally remind myself that my views regarding photography equipment and style are just that and not the only way to do something.