1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Travel kit report: GM1 + GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tlovegrove, Aug 16, 2014.

1. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
    I recently returned from an overseas trip on which I took the Panasonic GM1 and GX7. Here's the report in one word: tremendous.

It was a hectic trip, with small children, sickness, and little time to slow down and take pictures. There were beautiful sights all around, and only brief moments to try to capture them (of the 2500 pics I took, about 15 were on a tripod). There was no way to carry a large amount of equipment - small and light was the only possibility if I wanted a camera with me.

So the GM1 and GX7 were perfect. The GM1 gave me the super small size that I could literally put in a pocket (with the wonderful 12-32 lens on it). Yes, it has the limitation of no viewfinder, and the fiddly wheel. But it was a super capable camera, and never frustrated me at all. I set the FN1 button to ISO, adjusted exposure and drive mode (bracketing) with the selection wheel, and that gave me quick access to everything I needed. Battery lasted forever.

The GX7 was a great complement: viewfinder, more dials for quick adjustments. It was more of the power camera when needed (and at home, the flash sync speed is also a big deal for me vs. the GM1).

I basically kept the 100-300 on the GX7 and the 12-32 on the GM1 the whole time.

Any frustrations or regrets with that kit? Hardly at all. I do wish the high ISO performance was better (shooting wildlife at ISO 800-1600 to help keep it sharp, and a bit disappointed with the noise), and more megapixels wouldn't hurt. But those are both sensor issues - the GX7 and GM1 bodies were a joy, and the perfect complement to one another.

Some pics here if you'd like to see.

Thanks for listening,
    Tim

• Like Like x 5
  2. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    Awesome pictures. I'm jealous of your trip. One day.....

3. sethdsm

sethdsm Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2014
    Looks like a great trip. I'm considering switching from my current sony a77 and starting in m43 w/ a gx7 20mm combo along with the panasonic 100-300. The sharpness of some of the bird shots is reassuring for that 100-300 as that was a concern that I had.

4. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
    Here's a sample at 300mm - the sharpness is remarkable to me since I was handholding (so dependent on OIS), there was strong wind, the black swan was swimming in the water, and I was all the way to 300mm. This is with no sharpness applied:

14936233345_b8fe08846e_b. Black-Swan-2 by Tim Lovegrove, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  5. sethdsm

sethdsm Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2014
    That is pretty impressive. Any noise reduction?

6. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
    This should be pretty close to 1:1, with no noise reduction, sharpening, or anything applied:

14750079138_210074baac_b. P1130686 by Tim Lovegrove, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2