1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Travel Kit for Short Scotland Vacation

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Biro, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    My wife and I are likely to make a short trip to Scotland at the end of July. A travel day, three days there and a travel day back. I want to keep my photo kit on the small and simple side. I am currently considering a few configurations:

Micro four thirds: Panasonic G3 (so I won't have to mess with and lose the Oly EVF), Panny 20mm f/1.7 for low light (museums, dark castles, pubs at night, etc) and a yet-to-be identified zoom for general carrying around and most day photography. I have no superzoom for :43: and I really don't want to bring both the Panny 14-45 and 45-200. Once I change lenses, that's the way it'll be until I get back to the hotel room. It looks like the Oly 14-150 might be my only choice. The Panny 14-140 is a bit too dear for me right now. Any thoughts about using the Oly 14-150 on the G3?

APS-C - Two choices:

My Pentax K-5 with my Pentax 18-250mm zoom, which was my preferred travel lens until :43: came among, and one prime from this list (as the K-5 has great low-light, high ISO ability): DA 35mm f/2.4, DA Limited 21mm f/3.2 or DA Limited 15mm f/4.

My Pentax K200D (not as good at high ISOs but works on AA batteries, which means I don't have to worry about UK AC conversion for recharging - a fresh set of lithiums will give me 1200-1500 shots and bringing a single extra set will put me in the 2400-3000 shot range), the trusty Pentax 18-250 and, for low-light work at ISO 800 and below, perhaps the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

EDIT: I could also pick up something like a Fuji X10... but I probably don't have time to make sure it is one with the new sensor. And I'm not 100% sure the zoom range is just quite enough for all applications.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

2. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    If you wanted super light I'd take the G3 and the 20. It'll cover most of the eventualities. Bring along the 45-200 for anything you think might need longer. Given current weather I'd bring anything you had that was weather sealed.

The mains plug adapters are cheap so shouldn't be a factor.

3. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yes weather in Scotland certainly a consideration as its been so poor here so far this year!!!
    I'd echo Mr Botak, anything with some weather resistance!

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, then, WR would limit me to my Pentax bodies. My two Pentax WR lenses are big and heavy: DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135 (both f/2.8). But perhaps this would be an excuse to pick up the Pentax 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 WR zoom and pair it with the K-5. Not a bad idea. The irony is, travelling is when micro four thirds should be in its element - but the OM-D (which is the only micro four-thirds camera with WR right now) is a bit expensive. The Pentax 18-135 would run me about $400.

5. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    18-135 is meant to be a nice lens, I almost bought one when I had a K20D, its not so much the body but the 12-50 kit lens is currently the only WR lens in a M4/3 fit and its not all that quick especially v your 14 and 20mm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.