1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Travel Kit for Short Scotland Vacation

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Biro, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    My wife and I are likely to make a short trip to Scotland at the end of July. A travel day, three days there and a travel day back. I want to keep my photo kit on the small and simple side. I am currently considering a few configurations:

Micro four thirds: Panasonic G3 (so I won't have to mess with and lose the Oly EVF), Panny 20mm f/1.7 for low light (museums, dark castles, pubs at night, etc) and a yet-to-be identified zoom for general carrying around and most day photography. I have no superzoom for :43: and I really don't want to bring both the Panny 14-45 and 45-200. Once I change lenses, that's the way it'll be until I get back to the hotel room. It looks like the Oly 14-150 might be my only choice. The Panny 14-140 is a bit too dear for me right now. Any thoughts about using the Oly 14-150 on the G3?

APS-C - Two choices:

My Pentax K-5 with my Pentax 18-250mm zoom, which was my preferred travel lens until :43: came among, and one prime from this list (as the K-5 has great low-light, high ISO ability): DA 35mm f/2.4, DA Limited 21mm f/3.2 or DA Limited 15mm f/4.

My Pentax K200D (not as good at high ISOs but works on AA batteries, which means I don't have to worry about UK AC conversion for recharging - a fresh set of lithiums will give me 1200-1500 shots and bringing a single extra set will put me in the 2400-3000 shot range), the trusty Pentax 18-250 and, for low-light work at ISO 800 and below, perhaps the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

EDIT: I could also pick up something like a Fuji X10... but I probably don't have time to make sure it is one with the new sensor. And I'm not 100% sure the zoom range is just quite enough for all applications.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

2. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    If you wanted super light I'd take the G3 and the 20. It'll cover most of the eventualities. Bring along the 45-200 for anything you think might need longer. Given current weather I'd bring anything you had that was weather sealed.

The mains plug adapters are cheap so shouldn't be a factor.

3. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yes weather in Scotland certainly a consideration as its been so poor here so far this year!!!
    I'd echo Mr Botak, anything with some weather resistance!

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, then, WR would limit me to my Pentax bodies. My two Pentax WR lenses are big and heavy: DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135 (both f/2.8). But perhaps this would be an excuse to pick up the Pentax 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 WR zoom and pair it with the K-5. Not a bad idea. The irony is, travelling is when micro four thirds should be in its element - but the OM-D (which is the only micro four-thirds camera with WR right now) is a bit expensive. The Pentax 18-135 would run me about $400.

5. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    18-135 is meant to be a nice lens, I almost bought one when I had a K20D, its not so much the body but the 12-50 kit lens is currently the only WR lens in a M4/3 fit and its not all that quick especially v your 14 and 20mm.