1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Travel Kit for Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by VinVin, Jul 3, 2012.

1. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Hi everyone,

I'm going to be going to Hong Kong in a few days and I was wondering if my current Kit would be good enough for the trip. The main purpose of the trip is because of a death in the family but I will be staying there longer since I've already paid for the airfare, might as well spend some more time there.

I normally go to Hong Kong once every one to two years but for some reason I only take around 50-100 pictures each trip. This time around I hope to take some more pictures though so I was wondering if I could get some advice on what I should bring.

Right now the possible kit is as follows:

Olympus EP3
    Olympus VF3
    Olympus 14-42 IIR
    Olympus 40-150 R (if it gets here in time. Ordered a long time ago but Henry's still hasn't gotten it to me)
    Olympus 17/2.8
    Olympus 45/1.8
    Rokinon 7.5/3.5 Fisheye
    C Mount 35/1.7
    C Mount 25/1.2

Pentax Q
    Pentax Q 01 (47/1.9 Equivalent)
    Pentax Q 02 (27.5-83/2.8-4.5 Equivalent)
    Pentax Q 02 (17.5/5.6 Fisheye Equivalent)

Any suggestions on what I should keep and what I should take out?

Thanks!!!

2. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    everything below 45mm would be okay, but where are you planning to go?

for a city like hong kong (at the central areas) the 40-150mm will be too long for those kind of streets and people.

for me i personally prefer the 14mm lumix pancake, 20mm lumix, 45mm zuiko (just barely cutting it) for those narrow street pics thats my combo.

bring your 14-42 zoom, 17mm zuiko and 45. also the fisheye for some fun.

changing lens in the humidity and mugginess will tire you out. dont bring any manual focus lens for the same reason. the gear will wear you down after a while if the heat wont :thumbup:

but whats your plan in hong kong? there are some nice areas for nature and landscape (hong kong is not known for that but there are some) as well

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    It really depends on your shooting style...

I live in HK, and I find that my most used lenses are the Oly 12/2.0 and the PL25/1.4. I have the Oly 45/1.8 also, but often find it too long for indoor shots, especially if I want to use it on my kid, but it might be a good choice for you if you like to take candid shots on the street... I just got the 7-14 over the weekend and even though I haven't tried it yet, I think it would be a good lenses for shots on skyscrapers, but I think your 7.5 Fisheye will produce some interesting shots as well.

In general, I try to keep my travel lenses to between 3 to 4 lenses max. So, if I were you, I'd probably consider dropping the C Mount 35/1.7, 25/1.2 and maybe even the kit 14-42, and consider picking up the PL25/1.4 instead (for the fast aperture and AF speed), but if AF is not a concern for you, then, of course the C Mount 25/1.2 will do. I always keep one of the long zooms with me when I travel, just in case I need the reach, but that is probably my least used lens in my travel kit...

As for the Pentax Q, I don't think I will be using it at all if I have the above set... :wink:

4. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I will be going around almost everywhere in HK (I have friends and family in HK Island, Kowloon, and the New Territories) and quite possibly Lantau Island. I will also venture into China because we have to bring my grandma's remains to where the rest of our family's ancestors are located as well as meet with my extended family in Shanghai, Zhejiang, and Hangzhou. As it stands at the end of this trip I might either go to Hainan Island or Seoul with my god-sister.

I normally like to shoot b&w and I feel the most comfortable in the wide to 35mm range though occasionally I do prefer to keep the ability for reach on hand. I think I only want to bring the Q as it's my new toy but the more I think about it the less I want to bring it. Perhaps I'll just bring the M4/3 setup since in all honesty it's not really that heavy.

I agree that changing lenses in HK really does take it's toll on you though but as it stands I want to take a variety of lenses so I can expand the way I shoot. I don't really know how to explain my shooting style but it's mainly B&W and until last month I haven't used any lenses other than the 17mm f2.8 and the 2 C mount lenses for about a year and I felt pretty content in that zone though occasionally I will yearn for something longer or something wider.

This time around I might pick up the panny 14/2.5 as it's been on my wants list for a long time and in the price range I can afford whereas the 12/2 and 25/1.4 are too expensive for me at this point since I just picked up the Q with 01/02/03 lenses.

Right now it seems that the kit will be:

Olympus EP3
    Olympus VF3
    Olympus 14-42 IIR
    Olympus 17/2.8
    Olympus 45/1.8
    Rokinon 7.5/3.5 Fisheye

Where there is a possibility that I might bring part of or all of these ones too:
    Olympus 40-150 R (if it gets here in time. Ordered a long time ago but Henry's still hasn't gotten it to me)
    C Mount 35/1.7
    C Mount 25/1.2

I find that it's very hard for me to put the C Mount lenses away though... I've taken a lot of very good shots with them.

Figuring what to bring in terms of Camera gear by elimination is more torturous than the 15 hour flight!

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Haha, I hear you. I will be going through the same painful process for my upcoming US trip!

Then, again, if you find yourself missing any lens in your set, you can always pick one up in HK! :biggrin:

6. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

I have never been to Hong Kong but assuming it is a lot like most other big cities (meaning huge buildings) I would definitely recommend something a litttle wider than what you currently list. I saw you mention the 7.5mm fisheye, and while that is a great lens for certain occasions (I own the Samyang version myself) the effect can wear out quickly if you use it too often, so I would certainly take something like the Oly 9-18 (or better still the Panny 7-14 if money and bag space allow). I use the Oly myself quite a lot, especially in the city and find it very useful indeed.

7. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Yeah haha I know i will buy a 14mm if i can find it in the ebay price range and hopefully i will get a PL25 haha. HK is great with available stock but with the Japanese Yen so high i find that anything from Japan would be more expensive.

To tell the truth i just came back to Canada from HK in may... And comparing the prices from april 2011(my trip last year) to my trip this year (april 2012) the price jumps were fairly high. But since I am coming back to HK for the second time this year hopefully the prices are settled by now haha.

8. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Yeah, the 9-18 or 7-14 would be great but i don't want to buy a lens to go on the trip. If anything i might buy one on the trip. We will see haha. Thanks for your advice :)

9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Here's some examples of what you can get in Shanghai at 20mm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    E-PL1 with PL 20mm f 1.7

• Like Like x 1
  10. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Wow, come to think of it... though I go back to Hong Kong once a year it's been around 10 years since I've been to Shanghai! I don't recognize any of those places in your pictures haha. I'm flying in about 7 hours!