1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Travel Camera for Spouse

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by acnomad, May 13, 2016.

1. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    I'm an avid MFT enthusiast (E-M1, GM1, many native and adapted lenses) and plan to carry a small kit on a trip to Yosemite next month. My wife wants to be able to take her own snaps and I'd like to upgrade her to something better than the old point-and-shoot, but she isn't really up for an ILC, and probably prefers something GM1-sized or smaller. Looking for suggestions for a decent fixed lens camera suitable for a beginner with a good eye, but is a little light on technical knowledge?

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    RX100. Model 1-iV depending on how much you want to spend. Maybe the Canon G9X.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I would recommend the ZS100 / TZ100 if flexibility is most important, or the Canon G9X if size and price is most important. Only time the Sony RX100 (III) would get preference from me would be if you really needed to shoot in low-light so that faster lens was important, or for the RX100 IV if video quality is much more important than price. The only other advantage I see for the RX100 III and IV is the better EVF. But they don't have touchscreens, which I think is a bummer on any new camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I forget about the tz100. That's another good option if you want the zoom range

• Like Like x 1
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Unless size is really a big issue she's probably better off with the GM1 + 12-32 over the RX100. There is really little difference between the two and the GM1 has the touch screen. The only reason I might pick the RX100 would be if she wants a tilt screen.

If she needs more reach I'd still say GM1 plus 12-32 and add the 35-100 f/4-5.6. I guess alternatively the TZ100 would be my next pick.

• Like Like x 1
  6. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    That would be convenient, as I already have those on hand, and I've even suggested that, but I think it will be better to buy her something that she considers her own.

7. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    Give her your GM1, buy yourself something else. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Maybe a GF7 kit? That way she can use your 35-100?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    You have to choose either a fast lens or the zoom range.

Zoom range: TZ100
    Low light: RX 100

I think this chart is handy for a comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/files/p/articles/4726945289/ZS100_Equivap.png

Here you have about one stop and a half advantage on the very wide/normal end, up to 30mm, and about half stop up to 70mm where the RX100 stops. Instead the TZ100 gets the 70-250 extra range with a reasonably "fast" f/4-5.9 aperture. In my experience casual shooters love the big zooms.
    If she likes to shoot wildlife 70mm is about useless.

I used an old LX-5 camera for a while, 24-90 equivalent, and the short focal length was the reason I moved to m43. I would never get a 24-70 camera for all around travel shooting. It may be best for street, friends and family and indoor shots, where you use the faster shorter focal lengths. But outdoor usually you have good light and things are often distant. For landscapes you usually stop down so the extra speed is not an advantage and on the wide end stabilization makes miracles for static subjects.

Considering background blur, that IMO is a fun thing to use, the RX100 at 70mm has a reasonable (not big) advantage and you have to move to 135mm for the TZ100 to catchup and pass over. At focal lengths around 25mm there is practically no difference.

Then you have the tilt LCD screen on the RX100 only and that is a nice to have thing too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    Well my wife shot with the GM1 a bit over the weekend, and it seems she likes it. Might not have a good excuse to buy an RX100 after all.

• Like Like x 2
  11. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    Most definitely a GF7 / GF8, it is designed for those people who are not as technically inclined / interested yet it is quite a step up from the point and shoot cameras. Plus it has a tilt screen and you can exchange lenses with the GM1 if needed.

I mention this because she can then take a picture of herself by waving her hands. Or it will take a picture of you both when it detects two faces together. This can be very usefull when you are out in the wilderness and you do not have someone else to take a picture of you. Have a walking stick that you can screw the camera on top on and can poke into the ground, saves you a tripod. Or have the smallest ultrapod.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Realistically this is the best option. Your familiarity with the camera and system will make it easier for you to make it easier for her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been considering the RX100 III or IV myself.. Each time I come close to pulling the trigger, the $600-800 USD used price tag stops me. Being a M4/3rds shooter with a set of lenses, there is not much value RX100 III/IV brings to the table that a E-PM2, GM1 or EPL6 can match at around half the price.

• Like Like x 1
  14. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    I.e. just bought my wife an EM10 kit. She loves it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stickee

Stickee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2016
    Toronto, ON
    Different type of trip, but for Europe later this summer, I'm setting my wife up with an E-PL5 and the 12-32mm.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    My wife shoots a epm2 with whatever lens I toss on for her...mostly the 20mm or 12-32.

• Like Like x 1
  17. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    For travel cameras, there are 2 basic types - super-zoom (20x or more) but slower lens or smaller zoom (10x ish) but faster lens. Given that you want something for outdoor photography and assuming she won't be taking pictures at night, I think the former is probably a good choice. Sony RX100 or Panasonic ZS100 are good choices. Just google "best travel camera" and there are many comparison reports.

The GM1 with 12-32mm has a 24-64mm equivalence so its not quite a 3x zoom. Its a compact kit but the zoom range is limiting unless you add the 35-100mm. The GM1 with the 12-60mm is at least a 5x zoom, but its less compact. Since you are already taking a MFT, I think getting your wife a good travel zoom is a good idea.

Have you thought about getting her an Olympus TG4 (or other waterporoof camera from Olympus)? You may not need it in Yosemite, but if you go the beach and go snorkeling, this would be a useful addition to your whole kit, rather than getting another MFT body.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    So my wife has been shooting some kids' sports with the GM1 the P12-32mm and O40-150mm f/4-5.6 and doing quite well - plenty of keepers. She also took some nice shots at a local 5K race with the E-M1 and P42.5mm. Looks like she's going to do fine shooting with our existing MFT gear on the Yosemite trip.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Don't let the price tag stop you. I have an RX100M4 and absolutely love it.

Some things that the RX100M4 has that those cameras you mention don't have include:
    • Built-in EVF
    • 24mm eqv. f/1.8 lens
    • 24-70mm eqv. f/1.8-2.8 lens
    • 4K video
    • 1080p video @ 120 & 240fps for gorgeous slow-mo
    I picked one up for $750, and don't regret it for a second. With the exception of the high ISO performance, the sensor in the RX100M4 is basically equivalent to the sensor in my GH4's and E-M1's. It's a fantastic camera.

20. Mr Bassie

Mr Bassie Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2016
    Richmond Virginia
    My wife is happy snapping away on her iPhone. I asked her if she wants a better camera for our trip to Scotland this year but she doesn't.