1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Travel bag for OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mclife, Apr 27, 2012.

1. mclife

mclife New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2012
    First post, been lurking for a while... I thought about using the gear thread, but that seems to be just for photos. Anyone have comments on a bag for this bad boy, especially people that got it already? I am waiting "patiently" for my Amazon pre-order (Silver 12-50 kit), and it's really hard to tell what bag this would fit in. I want something compact (street shooting) that would fit just the camera with the 12-50 kit lens on, a prime lens, and other small accessories. Could anyone tell me the dimensions of the camera with the 12-50 kit lens on?

Looking at these two guys. Pretty sure the first would fit, but the second one?? Open to other suggestions too. Thanks!

Amazon.com: Tamrac 5766 Velocity 6x Compact Sling Pack (Black): Kellards

Amazon.com: Case Logic High Zoom Camera Case: Camera & Photo

2. CysVet

CysVet New to Mu-43

Mar 25, 2012
    Ames, IA (USA)
    I'm a big fan of the Thinktank Retrospective 5. I can fit my GF-2 a 25mm prim, my 14-140 zoom, and either my flash or my 45-200mm zoom. All with room to spare. I can even fit an iPad in the front pocket when I travel. I'm sure you would have no problems fitting an OM-D or even a smaller DSLR. Its a really well built, and discrete bag, loaded with nice features.

Retrospective 5 (Pinestone)

3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I can only echo the recommendation for the Think Tank Retro 5. It fits my E-M5 w/12-50 attached, 25, 45, and a GF1 body as a spare.

4. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    Similar in size to the retro bags, I'd suggest looking at Domke F-5XA / F-5XB ...

5. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    I own the Velocity 6x and it is simply an awesome bag! It has plenty of room for a camera and 2 lenses + the front pouch has lots of room for batteries, cards, filters and a lot more. It wears as a sling or like a backpack. I use it for downhill biking, skiing etc. and never had a issue. I love it after having many bags. You can go from wearing it to camera in hand in seconds! Buy it!

Cheers
    Ed

6. mattlee

mattlee Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2012
    Leander,Texas
    Retro 5 works great for me. Cant recommend it enough!

7. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    Domke F-803 - great looking bag - room for kit plus 3 lenses. Doesn't look like a typical camera bag - even has room for the iPad in the back sleeve.

8. mclife

mclife New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2012
    Thanks guys for the great suggestions. I hadn't even seen the Retrospective and Domke bags before. They look way nicer than my previous candidates. I like the stealth look much better. I guess I have more homework now then before :).

9. mclife

mclife New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2012
    Also, anyone have the dimensions of the OM-D with the 12-50mm on?

10. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Check out camerasize.com: shows all dimensions with and without lenses

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    For something that would be perfect for that fit you can use what I did for awhile: LighTri-310 DL For Mirrorless Camera Or Handycam KT DL-LT-310-B - D-Light | Kata Bags

OR the one I just upgraded to...a little bigger: LighTri-312 DL For Small DSLR W/kit Lens + 2 Lenses KT DL-LT-312-B - D-Light | Kata Bags

These bags are great for street photography...just swing into to position and rip the top open... perfect.

12. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I don't have an OM-D, but I really recommend the Domke 803. It is a great bag. It is small, but it can hold everything you need. If you want to spend some more bucks, you can get a billingham bag, which are great as well.

13. olydebut

olydebut Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
  14. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    Buy the first choice on your list. It is the ultimate street shooter by your requirements.
    6X all the way, you will not be dissappionted. It's way more compact and discreet than a lot of the others recommended with LOTS of storage. No other can open as fast from the hip as this one. It is UBER compact and easy to open. The zipper is like silk. Camera out!!!

Cheers
    Ed

15. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    The velocity bag says a 5 in lens will fit, the 12-50 is a 3.3 in lens, so you'll have a lot of wasted space. Top loading bags get a bit annoying if there is wasted space at the bottom.

This bag is more compact and should fit the camera and lens, a pancake and batteries or filters snugly.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318814-REG/Lowepro_LP34580_0EU_Rezo_TLZ_10_Compact.html

I would also look at the Domke F8. The F5 series has Velcro which can be quite loud at times.

Shopping for em5 shouldn't be too hard, it's the same size as most older film cameras.