1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Travel bag for OM-D + 14-150mm lens + a prime lens + batteries

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Edmunds, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    There seem to be so many bag threads, its a bit difficult to wrap my head around it.

I need a travel bag for my OM-D and the 14-150mm lens. I'll also likely buy a bright prime to complement that kit, most likely either the 25mm f/1.4 or the 45mm f/1.8. The bag would also need a separate pocket to fit an extra battery, extra SD cards, and importantly, two passports which I never part with.

I'm going to some 3rd world countries, and it would be a bonus if the bag didn't make me look like a prime target for a robbery. Something inconspicuous would be nice.

Anybody got any ideas? Most of the bags discussed here seem pretty big. I'm just looking for a smaller shoulder bag.

2. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    After reading a lot of these bag threads, I bought the Billingham Hadley Digital. There might be smaller/thinner, but I found the shape of the OM-D EM-5 with zooms or the larger primes to need a square-like bag.

I also got the Lowepro Compuday 250 which has a small zippered pouch for a camera and a couple of lenses and inner pockets with pouches for the small bits. The rest of the space can be used for personal stuff, and there is an outside water-bottle elastic mesh pouch. I use the Lowepro most of the time now as I need to carry toddler/personal stuff and the Billingham is only useful for just camera stuff. I found it uncomfortable carrying two bags (Billingham + day backpack).

As you say, there are probably a lot more out there and some day I might get myself a small messenger bag for photo/ipad for smaller trips where I need some personal stuff but not a backpack.

My wife has many bags. At least mine don't have to match what I'm wearing :)

3. Inkanyezi

Inkanyezi New to Mu-43

Jan 13, 2013
    I converted a rucksack, but any bag would do. I didn't find any suitable bag, and the custom made one has a very good fit for the camera and lens. I have thought of also making a bag that's not too conspicuous, and it shouldn't be too difficult.

http://uploads.ifokus.se/uploads/650/650d94eb76179ac651aaa6b5b8dde790/fotorygga-inredning.jpg

The material used for the inserts is a sleeping pad that I cut and glued with contact glue. It can be reinforced with more rigid material too, even if the outside looks flimsy.

4. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Honestly, if you look foreign enough (relative to the locals), no matter what bag you use, you will stand out and will be targeted. Just be vigilant.

*This coming from someone that was born and raised in a "3rd world country"*

5. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
  6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I've traveled many 3rd world countries. A bag that fits within a bag is the best. I juggle between a Lowepro Apex AW 110 and an ONA The Bowery. Both fit into my daypack. Neither bags have any zippered pockets but I use my daypack to carry none photo gear.

7. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Thanks guys, lots of options!

Well, the size is right, but the price ain't. £125 including VAT is way too steep for me

Also, I really don't want a backpack. I find them inconvenient, as it takes a long time to get and stove the camera.

I agree, but to a point - there's a fair bit of difference if you're carrying a brand new $100+ stylish leather bag and something completely non-descript.

Ohhh, nice, I want. But I think that one would come rather expensive over here :(

This looks like the best idea, cheap, non-descript color, has a zip up pocket. Seems to tick all the boxes, may even be a bit too big for me :eek:

8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    As a Billingham fan, could you post some pictures of the Hadley Digital with your kit? It sounds as if it could be what I'm looking for when travelling light(er). Does it have a belt loop?

9. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Here 'ya go, Tam!

IMG_2146_DxO.

IMG_2147_DxO.

IMG_2148_DxO.

I like my expensive gear traveling around in a limousine. It's the one piece of kit that gets to go out every day, whereas some of my costly lenses warm the bench a few days at a clip. :smile:

10. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Many thanks, Savas, perfect! Is there a belt loop?

11. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    No loop. They do sell a waist belt attachment that goes to the strap fixings, perhaps to keep it in place when moving about, but certainly a belt isn't needed for weight bearing.

12. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Recommend Benro Smart 10.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 App

13. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    I just ordered the Think Tank Retrospective 5 as I determined it looked best and had the most function! Should be here next week!

utu3eqy4.

14. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I would also seriously consider the Domke 5X-B. It is a beautiful bag, especially in the "Rugged Wear", and can hold multitudes of gear. Very comfy to carry, and looks very non-descript. Also love the looks of that ThinkTank 5.

15. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    FYI it arrived and it's fabulous!

16. Captmatt

Captmatt Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2013
    Homer, Alaska
    Matt Wilkens
    Yet Another travel option

I use the lowepro photo runner. It is a small black nylon waist bag. It comes with a shoulder strap if you would rather carry it that way. It easily carries the OMD with another lens and a flash, and has a small zippered pocket in front for filters and batteries. Looks like most other waist bags but very low profile. It has two compression straps also, which I use to attach the bag to my bike, so an all around good bag relatively cheap, compared to Billingham and some of the others. They are still available on ebay I'm pretty sure, had mine shipped from China. Very happy with it, though wished it had a rain cover.

17. stevedo

stevedo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    UK
    Keep an out on ebay. I've just picked one up, one month old with tags still attached and never been used, originally purchased from John Lewis. I paid £53.88 + £3 postage. Bargain :)

I also purchased a very lightly used Billingham L2 for £50.75 and those are about £160 new.

If you're prepared to be a bit patient you can get some good deals.

18. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
  19. Totoro

Totoro Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Another +1 for the Think Tank Retrospective 5.

I've had it for a year and a half, and I still love it.

Also, I've been using a Lowepro StreamLine 100, for when I just want the camera and an extra lens (maybe two) and nothing else.

If I was in the market for a new bag today, I'd totally go for the new Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30i (as currently featured on the forum homepage), as I can't really fit my iPad inside of my Retrospective 5 :)

20. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Check out the Retrospective 7 I can fit my iPad Mini and 13" MacBook Air.