Travel Backup Solution... by jove we think we've got it!

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It seems that FileBrowser takes an awful long time to display raw thumbnails from the WD MPWP. It’s almost like it has to download the whole file to display the thumbnail. Is this your experience?

R
so far it is definitely the slowest aspect of using FileBrowser... surprises me actually but at least it beats the other option of seeing nothing as happens with the WD My Cloud app. What I haven't tried yet is to view files from the attached SanDisk SSD drive... hmmm... will try tomorrow if I get a chance.
The FB folks were quite responsive to my enquiries when I still only had FBLite so I'll try and get some feedback on the Thumbnail speed issue from them soon.

Real Name
Walter
lol... my intent is to always keep a journal... and :oops: it always works out that I have 99% of my journals looking the same... blank pages :dash2:...

I've also thought of carrying a portable voice recorder (hmmm, maybe a little Oly or Panny one) to record things including image numbers and locations and I know this could easily be done with any mobile phone as well (as long as it was time synced with your camera) but my iPhone is so old that I don't trust it do anything more than tell me the time and wake me up in the morning... soon time for a new one but waiting til after the trip for the anniversary edition

so in the meantime I'll try and shoot the plaque of the statue or scene, or shoot a photo of my finger pointing to the location on the map prior to or just after the real shots. At least using the WDWP when I insert the SD card it puts any new photos into a date stamped folder making it easier to keep track of where I've at least been that day.

I agree. It takes self discipline to keep a daily travel journal. I don't do that regularly, so it'd be an extra effort. Taking photos of signs, etc. is one obvious way if there are convenient ones, or even pointing to the map is a good idea. There are ways.

I just like the idea of travel journaling because I'm also a fountain pen fan and it'd be one way to justify bringing a travel journal and pen along. ;-)

RachelleK

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rachelle
Looks like the WD My Cloud app is not compatible with the latest release of iOS 11. FileBrowser still works fine. Hope this is fixed soon.

R

RachelleK

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rachelle
iOS11 is still in late stages of beta though isn't it? Definitely holding off updating until after any trip or at least until WD update their app!

Yes, iOS 11 is on beta 4. My Cloud seems to be the only issue I now have with iOS 11.

I’m not sure of the usefulness of My Cloud when you have FileBrowser. I guess to update the firmware of WD My Passport Pro Wireless?

R

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes, iOS 11 is on beta 4. My Cloud seems to be the only issue I now have with iOS 11.
I’m not sure of the usefulness of My Cloud when you have FileBrowser. I guess to update the firmware of WD My Passport Pro Wireless?
R
I think FileBrowser might be a better all round solution to My Cloud so I'm thinking that if you're about to take a trip and need the WDWP I wouldn't go messing around with either any iOS updates or updates to the WDWP itself... ie... if it ain't broke don't fix it. As an example I updated my em5mii just two weeks ago and I'm having a dickens of a time getting it back to the settings I had just prior to the update. I know this shouldn't be a problem the next time I update cuz it will save my settings but it sure caught me off guard this time around... and as I'm about to leave on a trip I can't afford the aggravation of something untoward happening to either my ipad or my WDWP.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Just finished a three week trip with the MPWP, E-M1 and E-M1.2. Each day I copied the three active SD cards from the cameras onto the MPWP. Two observations:

1. While the MPWP properly does incremental copies, it takes an increasingly long time as the number of images on the card grows. In other words, the copy time is proportional to the number of images on the card, not the number of new images.

2. A couple of times the copy process seemed to stall. I power cycled the drive and it proceeded to finish properly.

I did all of my in-trip blogging using My Cloud. It worked pretty well. Never used Ol.share. The wifi pass thru feature, when it worked, was great. It wouldn't work when you needed an app-level logon to the hotel network, like your room number/name. It worked fine with normal access point passwords.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just finished a three week trip with the MPWP, E-M1 and E-M1.2. Each day I copied the three active SD cards from the cameras onto the MPWP. Two observations:

1. While the MPWP properly does incremental copies, it takes an increasingly long time as the number of images on the card grows. In other words, the copy time is proportional to the number of images on the card, not the number of new images.

2. A couple of times the copy process seemed to stall. I power cycled the drive and it proceeded to finish properly.

I did all of my in-trip blogging using My Cloud. It worked pretty well. Never used Ol.share. The wifi pass thru feature, when it worked, was great. It wouldn't work when you needed an app-level logon to the hotel network, like your room number/name. It worked fine with normal access point passwords.
Do you think that if we shot on card#1 during week#1, card#2 during week#2 and card#3 during week#3 and then transferred accordingly that the process of transfer would speed up? That way the MPWP wouldn't have 3 weeks of photos to slog through by the end?

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Do you think that if we shot on card#1 during week#1, card#2 during week#2 and card#3 during week#3 and then transferred accordingly that the process of transfer would speed up? That way the MPWP wouldn't have 3 weeks of photos to slog through by the end?

Yes, of course. It's the time spent reading all the old images on the card and then comparing them to the images already on the MPWP that's taking the time. I don't really think it's a serious flaw, although there are techniques that could be applied to speed up the process. However, they would depend on the user following certain procedures in the way he uses his cameras and cards, and would also probably not work in the real world for many users. For instance, you could assume that the file names on the card are immutable, and that no files ever change, then just read the card directory and skip any images that are in the directory on the MPWP. But that ignores non-camera use cases where files on your card can change, and even camera use cases where JPEG files are edited in camera. So I'm satisfied that they appear to take a more conservative approach. While it took some time as the cards got more loaded, it never was really anything more than a minor annoyance.

A USB-2 card slot and/or an SSD internally would probably help as well.

As for using multiple cards during the trip, that's what happened. I shot with four sets of cards (2 in each set in the E-M1.2, and 1 in the E-M1). It's just that I took 6,000 pictures Raw+JPEG, so I had 12,000 image files in total for the three weeks. (Don't yell, I was on safari in Africa ;-) ). Obviously, I could have used new cards each day or couple of days, but that would mean carrying a boatload of cards with me - even more than I did.

I have been using my 2TB WD Wireless My Passport during the last couple of weeks while traveling. Worked fine at first, but now:
1. Its WiFi can't be detected by my Xiaomi Note smartphone at all;
2. My wife's iPad mini can connect to its WiFi but can't see any files because it's detected as offline;
3. Failing with the above, I downloaded WD's McCloud app on my wife's Samsung smart phone, and tried to connect, when all I got was "connection error".

I tried to look for fixes online but have not found anything relevant yet.

If any one reading this knows of a fix, please let me know.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I have been using my 2TB WD Wireless My Passport during the last couple of weeks while traveling. Worked fine at first, but now:
2. My wife's iPad mini can connect to its WiFi but can't see any files because it's detected as offline;
3. Failing with the above, I downloaded WD's McCloud app on my wife's Samsung smart phone, and tried to connect, when all I got was "connection error".

Have you contacted WD about this?

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I didn’t use the WD app at all... instead found FileBrowser app better. I haven’t tried it with the drive since just after the trip but will try and have a go tomorrow when I get a few minutes. There might be new drivers for the drive as well???

I didn’t use the WD app at all... instead found FileBrowser app better. I haven’t tried it with the drive since just after the trip but will try and have a go tomorrow when I get a few minutes. There might be new drivers for the drive as well???
Thanks.
As prompted by @ijm5012 , I've just submitted a support case to WD. We will see what happens (much used sentence by a very important person).

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
So if it interests anyone, I do have the 2TB SSD version that just came out. It's a decent device; the quibbles that existed for the old HDD versions are unchanged, as there's really nothing new about this one except for the storage medium. Same clunky My Cloud app. I haven't run into actual wireless connection issues (yet) but the app doesn't run well and sometimes refuses to load thumbnails for images. The other issue I have run into is that sometimes cards will take much longer to backup than other times, irrespective of how much data is on them. Some transfers take less than a minute, others take five.

I think these drives have a place. But I would really not recommend the SSD version, because this thing is $800! We're not to the point where 2TB of SSD memory is affordable yet. I didn't pay full price for mine due to an "in" for testing the product, but I can tell you I don't feel like there's $800 of value in the device. These can be useful drives, but stick with the non-SSD version.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom