Travel Backup Solution... by jove we think we've got it!

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
It turns out that my planned use of the MPWP to replace the USB battery pack I would normally take with me is very timely. I'm traveling on British Air this month, and their website says they limit extra LI-Ion batteries in your carryon to four. Since I'm taking two bodies with three extras each, my wife will now carry two. But the USB battery pack would also count.

atarijedi

Mu-43 Regular
About how long does it take to unload a card, say a 64GB card? Does it support UHSII?

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
It will happily read a UHS-II card. I did do a test of the time to copy, and I don't remember the results. However, I do remember that it didn't seem to be a problem - I think it was comparable to copying the card onto my iMac with a UHS-I card reader.

It supports UBS 3.0, so copying the saved images from the My Passport to your computer later via USB is speedy (relatively speaking). It comes with a USB 3.0 Micro-B to Type A connector, but will connect to your computer for uploads using a standard non-USB 3 Micro-B connector. I tested copying from the MPWP to my iMac via a non-USB 3 connector, and it copied 500 image files, 6.2GB, in under three minutes. Using USB 3, it took just under 2 minutes.

It also does incremental copies from your SD card, so if you're traveling and copying a card progressively over several days, you only get the new stuff on each copy. At the end of the trip, you can copy the "SD Card Import" folder from the MPWP directly onto your computer and avoid having to sit and feed each SD card individually. This should go much quicker.

For my use case, I'll be copying my SD cards to the MPWP on a daily (or perhaps twice daily) basis during an upcoming trip. Even if it takes a long time (whatever that means), I can just let it run during meals or at bedtime. And I assume that won't actually take all that long. And as I mentioned, it will be a simple matter to copy all of the saved images from the MPWP back to my computer when I get home.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just got new iPad Pro 12.9" with 512GB storage. There is room for me to import at least 15,000 20MB raw images and cull them in camera roll. The keepers can be imported into Lr Mobile and shipped via cloud to Lr on the desktop (if there is wifi available). With the Lr Mobile 2.8 release we can now do basic global and local edits using brush, radial and graduated filter. For extra security in the field, and to CYA when there is no wifi available, I will use a WD My Wireless Passport Pro to backup all cards. I should only need a 1TB drive but the 2TB version is only a few dollars more.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
There's been
It will happily read a UHS-II card. I did do a test of the time to copy, and I don't remember the results. However, I do remember that it didn't seem to be a problem - I think it was comparable to copying the card onto my iMac with a UHS-I card reader.

It supports UBS 3.0, so copying the saved images from the My Passport to your computer later via USB is speedy (relatively speaking). It comes with a USB 3.0 Micro-B to Type A connector, but will connect to your computer for uploads using a standard non-USB 3 Micro-B connector. I tested copying from the MPWP to my iMac via a non-USB 3 connector, and it copied 500 image files, 6.2GB, in under three minutes. Using USB 3, it took just under 2 minutes.

It also does incremental copies from your SD card, so if you're traveling and copying a card progressively over several days, you only get the new stuff on each copy. At the end of the trip, you can copy the "SD Card Import" folder from the MPWP directly onto your computer and avoid having to sit and feed each SD card individually. This should go much quicker.

For my use case, I'll be copying my SD cards to the MPWP on a daily (or perhaps twice daily) basis during an upcoming trip. Even if it takes a long time (whatever that means), I can just let it run during meals or at bedtime. And I assume that won't actually take all that long. And as I mentioned, it will be a simple matter to copy all of the saved images from the MPWP back to my computer when I get home.
FYI, this is what I did on a recent trip to Europe, and it worked flawlessly. I would back-up every evening once back at the hotel room, transfer a few files over to my iPad Pro, edit them in Snapseed/Polarr, and then share them with family and on social media.

It was super simple to use, and I was glad I didn't have to lug around my MBP & charger while on the trip.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
Wow! That sounds like a lot of STUFF and hassle. Just backing up the files for processing and editing later? I was backpacking so my needs were low weight and EASY. My solution was 3 file copy steps and I ended up with 2 copies of each file. About 3 ounces. USB/Android (I'm sure there's an iphone version) SD card reader from Amazon (about $12 I think). USB/Android flash drives (I used 64Gb Sandisks, but there are others).
1. Connect SD Card reader to phone and copy files to internal SD of phone.
2. Connect Flash Drive to phone and copy files from phone to flash drive(s) as many copies as you want.
3. Clear phone folder if you need more storage (I didn't).

When you get home, plug your flash drives into your computer and copy files to Macbook.

Worked perfectly, I was able to do my backups in about 5 minutes. I was walking 200 miles, so the weight was a major factor. This weighs about 2 ounces the weight of the phone (which I was going to have anyway.)
P1320191.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just a follow-up on the WD Wireless Pro experiment.

My previous concern had been with the speed of this process... until my recent purchase of an iPad Pro... and now the process just flies! Seriously, it's quick quick quick!

So, this actually gives me a chance to do something with the editing workflow of selected downloaded files. Here is what I've found.

• I'm not so convinced that the WD My Cloud software is the full package I'd like it to be. Reason: It doesn't allow me to see my Oly RAW photos... I only see file names and for the purposes of choosing a file to edit and post for family/friends... and yes, maybe even here!... this simply is unacceptable. It would mean shooting RAW/jpg at teh same time and that seems redundant and quite frankly unnecessary.

• I had mentioned a wee app, FileBrowser, that I had been trying out as FileBrowserLite but was hesitant to purchase the $8.99 full iPad app as it seemed slow on my old iPad... not so on the new iPad Pro as it flies as well... but even better... it shows the thumbnail of my RAW file, thus making it possible to forego the RAW/jpg duplicity and make my file choosing much easier.

• from inside FileBrowser I can do many if not all the things I have been trying to do in the My Cloud app but it also allows me to open up the RAW file in the other app I have been enjoying on the iPad Pro... Affinity Photo for iPad!

The full workflow is yet to be fully worked out but I can see it this way: Oly Raw files from SD -> WDMP Pro Wireless -> backup all files to SanDisk SD HD -> edit a few of the files from the original download using FileBrowser to browse and Affinity Photo for iPad -> save edited files on the WDWP (as a processed Affinity backup) and also on my iPad Pro (iOS Photos) where I can resize for web or Dropbox/Flickr etc

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
@WaltP - sadly, there don't seem to be those sort of solutions for the iPad. While one can copy from an SD card into the iPad, Apple doesn't let you write from the IPad or an external device. So you would need to import all of your files, then use some wireless solution to a more complex accessory. Hence our excitement about the MPWP.

@pondball: I'll take a look at Filebrowser. Although I don't mind shooting Raw+jpeg, this would give me another option.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
@pondball, what's the big deal about shooting RAW+JPEG? Just the number of files?

I shot RAW+JPEG on my trip to Europe, but just set the JPEG file for medium instead of large. This way, I could still get files to share with family and friends, but also had the RAW files to edit in LR once back home.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@pondball, what's the big deal about shooting RAW+JPEG? Just the number of files?
That was the primary reason. Did you find there was no appreciable time added to the process with moving both RAW and jpg?
I shot RAW+JPEG on my trip to Europe, but just set the JPEG file for medium instead of large. This way, I could still get files to share with family and friends, but also had the RAW files to edit in LR once back home.
That makes sense too, especially as it would save some time I guess in editing anything on the spot that I wanted to share with family/friends.

I'm not that familiar the OLY settings for RAW and a medium format jpg... what setting did you use on your trip?

tconelly

Mu-43 Regular
@WaltP - sadly, there don't seem to be those sort of solutions for the iPad. While one can copy from an SD card into the iPad, Apple doesn't let you write from the IPad or an external device. So you would need to import all of your files, then use some wireless solution to a more complex accessory. Hence our excitement about the MPWP.

@pondball: I'll take a look at Filebrowser. Although I don't mind shooting Raw+jpeg, this would give me another option.

Bassman,

Concerning the iPad, I recently found the Sandisk iXpand Flash Drive (32-128 GB options) that is similar to a USB flash drive. One end of the iXand drive connects directly to the port on the iPad and allows download of files (jpeg and raw) from the iPad. The other end of the iXpand drive has a normal USB port to transfer the files to a PC. The 64 GB version was about $60 at Best Buy. All seemed to work properly in my tests but I have not yet used it while traveling.

Tom Conelly

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Bassman,

Concerning the iPad, I recently found the Sandisk iXpand Flash Drive (32-128 GB options) that is similar to a USB flash drive. One end of the iXand drive connects directly to the port on the iPad and allows download of files (jpeg and raw) from the iPad. The other end of the iXpand drive has a normal USB port to transfer the files to a PC. The 64 GB version was about $60 at Best Buy. All seemed to work properly in my tests but I have not yet used it while traveling.

Tom Conelly
Hi Tom... I looked at the iXpand as well but eventually opted for the larger storage on of the SanDisk 480Gb SSD. It is really quite fast. One of the problems I would have had with the iXpand is that my previous iPad was, well, ancient and would not work with the iXpand. Consequently I purchased the SSD with the future in mind as well. Back in the 80's I bought a 10MB "Huge" WD drive to go with my Mac+. I was told it would be all I would ever need... and at $999 Cdn$ it was the first such drive to break the $1k barrier. I jumped at at and indeed it served me well while the Mac+ was still my only mac... but it too filled to capacity.

Morale is... if you're looking at the iXpand then it might be wise to either get two smaller or one larger capacity one. depends on your needs and BU strategies. Do you go big and lose all your photos if it goes downtown or gets lost... or do you split your backups between various devices and take your chances on only losing half of them if the loss/failure happens. In my case I've opted for 1) not erasing the SD cards every night as the WD takes care of only importing new photos taken since the last insert (and puts them in a dated folder for you automatically), 2) storing them on my WDWP then 3) copying them to my SanDisk 480Gb HD (tiny little beast that weighs nothing). I also have a couple of simple 64gb thumb drives that can be attached to the WDWP through it's USB port and used as BU as well.. .giving me 4 BU's that can be stored in many different spots (my personage, my wife's, a room safe while at hotels or on a cruise, and even in separate luggage... or even mailed home in the case of the USB thumb drives)... with fingers crossed that at least one of them makes it through the process!

tconelly

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Tom... I looked at the iXpand as well but eventually opted for the larger storage on of the SanDisk 480Gb SSD. It is really quite fast. One of the problems I would have had with the iXpand is that my previous iPad was, well, ancient and would not work with the iXpand. Consequently I purchased the SSD with the future in mind as well. Back in the 80's I bought a 10MB "Huge" WD drive to go with my Mac+. I was told it would be all I would ever need... and at $999 Cdn$ it was the first such drive to break the $1k barrier. I jumped at at and indeed it served me well while the Mac+ was still my only mac... but it too filled to capacity.

Morale is... if you're looking at the iXpand then it might be wise to either get two smaller or one larger capacity one. depends on your needs and BU strategies. Do you go big and lose all your photos if it goes downtown or gets lost... or do you split your backups between various devices and take your chances on only losing half of them if the loss/failure happens. In my case I've opted for 1) not erasing the SD cards every night as the WD takes care of only importing new photos taken since the last insert (and puts them in a dated folder for you automatically), 2) storing them on my WDWP then 3) copying them to my SanDisk 480Gb HD (tiny little beast that weighs nothing). I also have a couple of simple 64gb thumb drives that can be attached to the WDWP through it's USB port and used as BU as well.. .giving me 4 BU's that can be stored in many different spots (my personage, my wife's, a room safe while at hotels or on a cruise, and even in separate luggage... or even mailed home in the case of the USB thumb drives)... with fingers crossed that at least one of them makes it through the process!

Thanks for your response Pondball,

In my case, I was recently able to buy the newest model 128GB iPad on a day when it was on sale at Best Buy ($380), so I can easily store all the photos from a long trip on the iPad itself. This way I can have three copies of the camera photos -- keep original photos on the camera SD cards, copy the photos on to the iPad via the camera adapter, then copy (not move) all the photos from the iPad to the iXpand flash drive. Upon returning home, I can then quickly copy via USB 3.0 from the iExpand card to my desktop PC. If the iXpand drive fails I would still have two copies of the photos. Likewise, if the iPad failed I would still have two copies.

The advantage is that this combination requires minimal additional hardware, weight, and cost to accomplish: a small Lightning to USB Camera Adapter + the small 64 GB (32 and 128 GB available) iXpand flash drive -- total cost about $90 for these two accessories. Again, I have tested this at home and it all seems to work flawlessly, but I have not yet actually used this system while traveling.

Regards,

Tom C.

Real Name
Walter
I ordered a 2 Tb WD MPWP from Amazon when it briefly dropped in price to $149. I would have bought the 1 Tb for $149 at some time in the future, but the sale made me twitch my buy now finger. I also picked up an Apple SD card to Lightning adapter. For my next trip, I plan to backup both RAW & JPG to the WD MPWP and to copy only JPG files to my iPad for viewing and quick sharing. Probably wouldn't have enough room on the iPad to store everything (not gonna get a 512 Gb iPad!). I won't have time to edit RAWs while on a trip anyway, and the Olympus provides such nice JPGs most of the time, those would suffice for sharing.

Thanks all for testing out all these methods.

BTW, my friend who just returned from a trip to Spain had a good suggestion. He tried to journal every day, remembering where he shot photos and what was notable about them. That helped him later to sort them out and to put comments on them to help him remember each one. A small notebook and pen should be required equipment too. Although one can record audio notes with each photo on an OMD, he didn't make use of this. :)

Last edited:

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I ordered a 2 Tb WD MPWP from Amazon when it briefly dropped in price to $149. I would have bought the 1 Tb for $149 at some time in the future, but the sale made me twitch my buy now finger. I also picked up an Apple SD card to Lightning adapter. For my next trip, I plan to backup both RAW & JPG to the WD MPWP and to copy only JPG files to my iPad for viewing and quick sharing. Probably wouldn't have enough room on the iPad to store everything (not gonna get a 512 Gb iPad!). I won't have time to edit RAWs while on a trip anyway, and the Olympus provides such nice JPGs most of the time, those would suffice for sharing.

Thanks all for testing out all these methods.

BTW, my friend who just returned from a trip to Spain had a good suggestion. He tried to journal every day, remembering where he shot photos and what was notable about them. That helped him later to sort them out and to put comments on them to help him remember each one. A small notebook and pen should be required equipment too. Although one can record audio notes with each photo on an OMD, he didn't make use of this. :)
lol... my intent is to always keep a journal... and :oops: it always works out that I have 99% of my journals looking the same... blank pages :dash2:...

I've also thought of carrying a portable voice recorder (hmmm, maybe a little Oly or Panny one) to record things including image numbers and locations and I know this could easily be done with any mobile phone as well (as long as it was time synced with your camera) but my iPhone is so old that I don't trust it do anything more than tell me the time and wake me up in the morning... soon time for a new one but waiting til after the trip for the anniversary edition

so in the meantime I'll try and shoot the plaque of the statue or scene, or shoot a photo of my finger pointing to the location on the map prior to or just after the real shots. At least using the WDWP when I insert the SD card it puts any new photos into a date stamped folder making it easier to keep track of where I've at least been that day.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
I shoot pictures of signs as reminders... Much quicker than any form of writing or recording a note.

Also try to keep the clock in the camera on local time or just leave it on GMT.
(Note the Oly app will always sync time from the phone's local time whenever you connect the app to the camera.)

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I shoot pictures of signs as reminders... Much quicker than any form of writing or recording a note.
yup... great idea and method...

One other thing one of the folks I've taken an online course does (I think it was Jared Platt, Creative Live) is that at the end of the day they always shoot one last shot with the lens cap on... it then becomes the black hole separator between one day and the next when importing and is apparently easier to see than some tiny thumbnails... haven't tried it yet but it made sense at the time! hmmm... it might actually resemble some of my better shots though! :hide:

Also try to keep the clock in the camera on local time or just leave it on GMT.
(Note the Oly app will always sync time from the phone's local time whenever you connect the app to the camera.)
If only my Oly app would function on my old iPhone4... next year maybe :dance3:

RachelleK

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rachelle
• I had mentioned a wee app, FileBrowser, that I had been trying out as FileBrowserLite but was hesitant to purchase the $8.99 full iPad app as it seemed slow on my old iPad... not so on the new iPad Pro as it flies as well... but even better... it shows the thumbnail of my RAW file, thus making it possible to forego the RAW/jpg duplicity and make my file choosing much easier.

It seems that FileBrowser takes an awful long time to display raw thumbnails from the WD MPWP. It’s almost like it has to download the whole file to display the thumbnail. Is this your experience?

R

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom