Travel Backup Solution... by jove we think we've got it!

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
I would not concur with his suggestion to use a RAVpower SD card/USB port hub to transfer files from the card to the external flash drive. I don't have one and don't have any experience with it, but my experience with the Kingston MLW soured me completely on using a WiFi accessible hub and a mobile app as a backup solution. Tried two versions on two trips and both times it failed to be a reliable backup solution. Worse than having nothing at all because I spent money and relied on something that didn't work. Fortunately, did not lose any cards or files.

I had two RAVpower devices and both quickly went to Goodwill.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Thanks for this extensive write up - it helped to convince me of the way forward for my travel backup needs. I never travel with a laptop - I haven't owned one for six years. I do edit and post pictures to my blog while traveling using my iPad. I shoot raw+jpeg, so viewing the images using IO.share is not a problem. I find the full-screen previews it offers give me the ability to select the images I want to process much better than using the CCK, despite the slower wifi transfer speed.

I've been using the Hyperspace Colordrive, which has similar functionality but is only 95% reliable - it periodically reports that the hard drive is full when it isn't. I ordered the WD device and expect it tomorrow. I'm now planning to take it to Africa next month. As it will also function as a USB battery pack, I save the 12 oz. or so that my current battery pack would take, and actually has more capacity.

If you do have an E-M1.2, you can use it to copy the images from any camera to a second card - actually, it will copy everything that is in the DCIM folder. The copy is not incremental, so reformatting the target card each time is necessary.

Last edited:

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for this extensive write up - it helped to convince me of the way forward for my travel backup needs. I never travel with a laptop - I haven't owned one for six years. I do edit and post pictures to my blog while traveling using my iPad. I shoot raw+jpeg, so viewing the images using IO.share is not a problem. I find the full-screen previews it offers give me the ability to select the images I want to process much better than using the CCK, despite the slower wifi transfer speed.

I've been using the Hyperspace Colordrive, which has similar functionality but is only 95% reliable - it periodically reports that the hard drive is full when it isn't. I ordered the WD device and expect it tomorrow. I'm now planning to take it to Africa next month. As it will also function as a USB battery pack, I save the 12 oz. or so that my current battery pack would take, and actually has more capacity.

If you do have an E-M1.2, you can use it to copy the images from any camera to a second card - actually, it will copy everything that is in the DCIM folder. The copy is not incremental, so reformatting the target card each time is necessary.
I think you'll find this WD option a very good one and trust that it is as reliable as some here have found it already. I did take the precaution of ordering the hard case for it. I'm taking along my SanDisk 480 SSD and found that transfer times from the WD WPro to the SanDisk SSD are incredible.

I have found that the dates are accurate if I do as Ian did and insert the card in the WD and let it do its work (download to the WD drive). It puts the most recent shots in a new folder with the proper date... this will be perfect for my daily downloads.

I then connect my iPad using wifi (between WD and iPad) and move the downloaded files to one or more of: another folder on the WD, the SanDisk SSD (connected to the WD via the USB port, or to a USB thumb drive (alternately connected to the WD/USB port)

@bassman Interesting that you shoot both RAW+jpg... I'm wondering if there is a way to shoot both RAW and jpg and download them to two different folders on the WD? Then view the jpgs on the WD as RAW cannot be viewed using My Passport app and referencing the jpgs to choose which specific RAW file I want to edit using Genie or Mobile LR or SnapSeed. My iPhone isn't new enough to use all the features of IO.share. Are you viewing the files as they sit in the iPad Photos app? It would be nice if IO.share could access the WD drive directly so that all the RAW files can be viewed as well.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
For now I should get one of the USB OTG adapters for my Android, but in the long run, I'm hoping something like this becomes ubiquitous in hotels:
Carry a tiny "Compute Card", and dock it to a tablet or workstation wherever you go.

Intel Compute Card: A Universal Compute Form-Factor for Different Kinds of Devices
Intel's Credit-Card Sized Compute Card Detailed, Shipping in August

If most hotels had a dock then you could import or backup your SD cards as you travel without even needing to carry a tablet.

I hope they can work out a standard wireless display technology so that it could be controlled from any tablet as well (although RDP has gotten much better now that MS has released an official Remote Desktop client for Android)... then you could use it + a USB hub / card reader and not rely on a hotel dock.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I didn't use wifi for file transfers. I put the SD card directly into the WDPP reader to get the files onto that, and the Apple connection kit to get the files into the iPad. IIRC, wifi has a lot slower transfer rate. I also think you can use the connector to view the files on the card in Photos on the iPad without having to import them first, and then you can touch-select and import to the iPad only the ones you want, again faster than a wifi connection from WDPP (and I think a more robust backup than copying what's on the WDPP, since you are importing originals from the SD card). I only used wifi to connect the iPad to the WDPP to view the files on the WDPP. Hope that answers your question!
@Ranger Rick tried the direct connect with my Apple Connector Kit but the message I got was that my iPad didn't have enough power to work with the WD (or something like that)... I'm assuming it's because of the age of my iPad?

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I think you'll find this WD option a very good one and trust that it is as reliable as some here have found it already. I did take the precaution of ordering the hard case for it. I'm taking along my SanDisk 480 SSD and found that transfer times from the WD WPro to the SanDisk SSD are incredible.

I have found that the dates are accurate if I do as Ian did and insert the card in the WD and let it do its work (download to the WD drive). It puts the most recent shots in a new folder with the proper date... this will be perfect for my daily downloads.

I then connect my iPad using wifi (between WD and iPad) and move the downloaded files to one or more of: another folder on the WD, the SanDisk SSD (connected to the WD via the USB port, or to a USB thumb drive (alternately connected to the WD/USB port)

@bassman Interesting that you shoot both RAW+jpg... I'm wondering if there is a way to shoot both RAW and jpg and download them to two different folders on the WD? Then view the jpgs on the WD as RAW cannot be viewed using My Passport app and referencing the jpgs to choose which specific RAW file I want to edit using Genie or Mobile LR or SnapSeed. My iPhone isn't new enough to use all the features of IO.share. Are you viewing the files as they sit in the iPad Photos app? It would be nice if IO.share could access the WD drive directly so that all the RAW files can be viewed as well.

I actually think it would be better having raw+jpeg in the same folder, assuming they sort by name. You can then view the Joel's and easily pick the raw. But as I don't actually have it yet, I don't really know.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
@Ranger Rick tried the direct connect with my Apple Connector Kit but the message I got was that my iPad didn't have enough power to work with the WD (or something like that)... I'm assuming it's because of the age of my iPad?
I was referencing the SD card going into the iPad via the SD card reader, not via a transfer cable between the WD and iPad.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was referencing the SD card going into the iPad via the SD card reader, not via a transfer cable between the WD and iPad.
gotcha!... would be nice if we could hook up the WD drive directly to the iPad using the connection kit and then use one of the progs to browse and transfer prior to uploading to the ipad for some selective editing. Apparently iOS11 has a more browser like look and feel which could be very useful in this case!

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
The MPWP came this afternoon as promised by AMZN. What I've tested so far, seems to work fine, with one exception. Olympus images - both ORF and JPG - have a time stamp which is four hours earlier than the files on the SD card. E.G., file _EM23132.JPG on the SD card shows Date Created and Date Modified both as June 29, 2017 8:33pm (EDT), which is correct. After the SD card is imported to the MPWP, the dates show as June 29, 2017 4:33pm. The images themselves look the same and both show in Preview, etc. I'm assuming this is some short of time zone mis-match, but can't see anywhere to fix it. Anyone have any thoughts?

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Check the app. Maybe there is something in the settings. I'm assuming.

I checked both the mobile and web dashboard, and can't see anything. It imports my Panasonic camera files just fine, with no time stamp discrepancy. Yet the problem is with the operating system timestamps, not the metadata inside the file.

Real Name
Walter
I checked both the mobile and web dashboard, and can't see anything. It imports my Panasonic camera files just fine, with no time stamp discrepancy. Yet the problem is with the operating system timestamps, not the metadata inside the file.

That's why I was thinking there must be a setting for the device's clock. Odd fault, if not.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's why I was thinking there must be a setting for the device's clock. Odd fault, if not.
Did you import using the WD app or did you import direct from the SD card to the drive... without starting a Wifi connection? Mine was messing up when I first imported photos as i was using the app to move the files... however it was spot on once I did as Ian suggested and started the WD drive then inserted the SD card into the WD drive and just let it do its stuff. The lights will show you when all files have been imported and once that has been done then, and only then would you open up the wifi connection... the dates should be fine with that procedure for import

Real Name
Walter
Did you import using the WD app or did you import direct from the SD card to the drive... without starting a Wifi connection? Mine was messing up when I first imported photos as i was using the app to move the files... however it was spot on once I did as Ian suggested and started the WD drive then inserted the SD card into the WD drive and just let it do its stuff. The lights will show you when all files have been imported and once that has been done then, and only then would you open up the wifi connection... the dates should be fine with that procedure for import

I was thinking that if the files on the device's hard drive are showing the wrong times, maybe there is a date and time setting on the device that can be changed via the mobile app. It may be part of the setup process. It would be odd for the device to change the dates and times of the files as they're copied over during the automated incremental backup process.

Sounds like as long as you import the files via the automatic file copying process, there's no problem?

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman

Interesting ... I don't think so, but I'll double check this later.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Hey guys, i have the baby 2Tb version of the wireless pro and it has served me well on a couple trips now since Jan with roughly 40,000 files getting transferred (raw+jpg) from cards, I really like how each day is separate and each card has it's own folder per day, the trap is that you have to ensure your in camera numbering always increments.
The second trip it was in the camera bag in the topbox on the motorbike with about 24hrs of road time and i had no concerns about the normal disk type.... SSD would be better but hey if it works as is that's fine.

I've seen no evidence of date/time issues that i've noticed.
Cheers

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
The MPWP came this afternoon as promised by AMZN. What I've tested so far, seems to work fine, with one exception. Olympus images - both ORF and JPG - have a time stamp which is four hours earlier than the files on the SD card. E.G., file _EM23132.JPG on the SD card shows Date Created and Date Modified both as June 29, 2017 8:33pm (EDT), which is correct. After the SD card is imported to the MPWP, the dates show as June 29, 2017 4:33pm. The images themselves look the same and both show in Preview, etc. I'm assuming this is some short of time zone mis-match, but can't see anywhere to fix it. Anyone have any thoughts?

So a correction: the Date Created as shown on the MPWP is 06-29-2017 8:37pm, which is correct. The Date Modified is 06-29-2017 4:33pm, which I believe makes no sense - the modified date stamp should never be earlier than the created date stamp. It's also before I actually made the image. These are the MacOS time stamps on the file.

And additional information: after importing the file into LR directly from the MPWP, it shows four times in the EXIF section:

Date Time Original: 6/29/17 8:33pm
Date Time Digitized: same
Date Time: same
Date Created: 2017-06-29T20:33 (i.e., 8:33pm)

So other than the apparent confusion if I look at the files on the MPWP, the appropriate timestamps are visible in LR and presumably any other DAW.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I agree that an SSD would be far preferable to a spinning HD in the WD MPWP

Seems like the only down side to the WD solution is that it's spinning disks instead of SSD.

Right now I would say the only advantage of an SSD in an external enclosure over a hard drive is simply weight. If that is what you guys were referring to then I agree. On the other hand, I think a lot of people just assume SSDs are more reliably than hard drives because they don't have moving parts. But this is not necessarily the case. While SSDs have been shown to be more reliable with respect to failure (drive stops working), SSDs have a higher rate of blocks going bad and losing data.

Usually when a hard drive is going to fail it often gives some sort of warning (not reliably able to write or read data (and you get errors on your computer telling you that so you try again) or it starts to make terrible noises and that sort of thing. With SSDs losing data can be a silent and unnoticed problem.

I am not saying SSDs are a bad idea and of course ANY storage solution can go bad on you. Also over time I hope SSDs are getting better. But in my mind spinning hard drives are a known mature technology so a newer hard drive is probably no less reliable for backup in the field use as an SSD. As I first mentioned, if weight is an important consideration (say for back packers), then I can see where an SSD would have the advantage. But take weight out of it and I don't see hard drives as the inferior choice.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom