Travel Backup Solution... by jove we think we've got it!

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Warning... lengthy! 1 product photo only - at bottom of this post.

Ian @ijm5012 and I have had a conversation going for about a month now as a result of a posting in another thread about travel and the potential problem with bringing a laptop on board a plane... and keeping it there!

Rather than thread jack the OP’s original thread that started this conversation we have been conversing off-thread about possible solutions. The rest is, as they say, history.

The objective was to limit the amount of non-camera gear we take with us on a trip while at the same time ensuring we had adequate, reliable and substantial backup of our photos.

The solution we arrived at (short version) was:
  • leave MBPro at home along with the wires and chargers necessary to keep it running.
  • purchase Western Digital Wireless Pro (3TB or 4 TB) drive
  • use our existing mobile devices (iPads in our case) to manage the files on the WD MPWP and other external storage devices
  • test using various methods of transfer and report back on success or failure of using this device as the integral piece in our travel backup solution
  • the MPWP connects to the iPad though wifi connection set up between the two devices (easy peasy)
Required:
  • WD MPWP ( Ian has the 4TB and I now have the 3TB) - includes charger and USB cable
  • iPad (or other mobile device) … Mine is about 8 years old
  • SD cards (does not support CF cards - haven’t seen a limit on the size or speed of card yet
  • additional USB 3 (recommended but USB 2 will work as well) storage device (USB thumb drive works fine but I will be testing the SanDisk 480GB USB 3 external drive as well
  • Mobile app… From App Store download the WD My Passport app, or use FileBrowser app by Stratopherix
Pros:
  • Lose weight/space of MBPro and assorted cables and chargers
  • Save storage space on iPad as photos do not have to be transferred to the iPad during backup
  • relatively low cost ($300 shipped in Canada from Staples - 2 days turnaround - 3Tb model)
  • Other materials can be stored on the drive (videos, pdfs, other docs) for viewing during the trip
  • easy wifi connection
  • Updates available… my MPWP already has an available update
  • Can apparently be used to charge USB devices (haven’t checked that yet but it is not a priority)
  • size… will take up little room and can easily be stored in hotel safe
  • advertised 10 hour charge
  • comes ready to go, (full) charge out of the box (I did plug mine in though for a few hours)
  • decent set of downloadable manuals (pdf) … but I’m a guy so don’t know that I’ll ever get around to taking advantage of them :)
Cons:
  • enclosed instructions are what they are… written by someone who might have worked the day before in the appliances section of the Best Buy store but was now selling HiTech equipment and has become an instant expert
  • not as fast as a transfer between SD card and MBPro would have been… but that is to be expected isn’t it?
Next Steps:
  • testing with both RAW (.orf) and jpg. I shoot only RAW right now (observations on that below)
  • testing with SSD USB 3 ESD
  • upgrade to new iPad Pro (GAS attack)
  • finding a simple method of accessing WD MPWP from within iPad apps for the odd edit while on the trip
Timeline: So how did we come about deciding on the Western Digital My Passport Wireless Pro as our Travel Backup Solution?

The conversation between Ian and myself, including questions and observations as well as post purchase comments, went something like this (some edited):

My initial email to Ian:
I've checked into a couple of apps that will allow me to connect my iPad wirelessly to the WD Wireless Pro, and using another external portable HD connected to the USB port on the WD Drive make a second backup of my photos to that 2nd portable drive... giving me photos in 3 different places... SD Card, WD Wireless Pro, and Ext Portable HD/SSD. This precludes moving anything to any cloud storage but there's no way I want to spend my time on vacation waiting for a decent wifi connection. The folks at WD suggested this scenario would work just fine.

I also mentioned I was testing an app called FileBrower Lite that supposedly allows file transfer between external devices instead of having to download to the iPad (valuable space saved on iPad).

Ian’s reply:
Regarding the Wireless Pro WD drive, so you're saying that I can plug my SD card in and have it copy the files over to the internal storage on the wireless drive, but then I could plug another drive in to the USB port of the Wireless Pro, and create a copy of the files from the internal storage to a second external drive? If that's the case, then that would be PERFECT, as I'd have all of my files on two separate drives.

I had also been conversation with the folks at Stratospherix regarding the use of FileBrowser with the MPWP…
My Question to support@stratospherix.com
Would it be possible to do the following?
Use FileBrowser on my iPad to:
• insert SD card in Western Digital My Passport Wireless Pro (MPWP) drive
• save photos to WPWP drive
• using FileBrowser, backup photos that were just imported to the MPWP to a thumb USB drive that is hooked up to the MPWP using its USB port

All of this would still mean I don't have the photos on my iPad... which is really what I am looking to avoid because I don't wish to fill up my iPad with all my travel photos... I just want to back them up to more than one location. This would give me 3 locations for my photos: 1 on my SD card, a 2nd on the MPWP, and the third on a USB Thumb Drive...

Stratospherix Response:
Hi Dan. I've taken a quick look at the specs of this device and it says it supports the SMB protocol. So FileBrowser should be able to connect to it for browsing, transferring and streaming pictures and video. Nice that you can also use it to charge other devices and also connect external USB drives.

After relaying this to Ian this was his observation (to which I agreed):
Very interesting. The second portion of your email is what I believe we're interested in, which is inserting an SD card, copying the files on the WDWP internal storage, plugging in a USB-powered external storage device (ESD) in to the USB port of the MPWP, and then creating a duplicate copy of the files from the MPWP to the ESD.

Convinced it may be a good solution, Ian then ordered one as his trip (at the time) was just around the corner and mine not until August. Apparently his WDWP arrived very quickly and he was able to test it out and get back to me:
Just wanted to let you know that I received my WD MPWP today, and it works exactly as we described. Plug an SD card in, it automatically copies the files to the internal storage. You can then plug in a second external drive via the USB port, and copy files from the MPWP to the USB external drive, ensuring that you have 2 copies of your photos when on the road. All of this can be done from within the WD My Cloud app on your iPad.

This is a very, very nice device. Even though the electronics ban isn't happening (at least not yet), I still will be leaving my MBP at home on my upcoming trip and just using my WD MPWP along with my iPad to copy my files over at night.

My (Dan) thoughts… Of course everything always works in theory and/or when you’re testing it but the following report after Ian returned from his trip recently is the best news of all!

I just wanted to follow up with you about how using the WD MyPassport Wireless Pro and iPad worked for managing files while on vacation without a computer. In short, it really couldn't be simpler. Every night, I would pull the SD cards out of the camera, pop them in the MPWP where it would automatically copy the files to the internal hard drive. From there, I would use my iPad to verify the transfer, as well as create a duplicate copy to an external SSD that plugs in via the USB port. Once done, I would simply eject the SSD and SD card, reformat the card in-camera, and be good to go for the next day of shooting.

One thing that's nice is that the automatic import of the SD cards does so by date, so there's never any concern of overwriting images (assuming you import once per day, which I did every evening once back at the hotel room).

It was very easy to set-up and use while on the go, and I'm glad I didn't have to worry about bringing my computer and cables with me. Just my iPad (which is with my anyway for watching content on the plane) and the MPWP hard drive, and I was good to go.

My (Dan) next move…. Of course I ordered my WD MPWP immediately (for the Canucks, Staples had the best price I could find online as the storefronts will not, or at least do not carry such a “luxury” item up here in Canada). I was told July 5th for delivery but it arrived within 2 days of my order! Shipping is free in Canada for items over $50… which this is!

I tested it and reported back to Ian:

It truly is a very good out of the box backup solution for travel. Comes almost fully charged and ready to go although I did charge it for several hours before testing it.

I am unfortunately still running off an older iPad (about 8 years old!) and I'm not sure that is accounting for the slowness or whether it's the initial process of manually importing that has me concerned. I like your idea about the auto import then checking with the iPad. That way on a trip I would simply insert the card and let it import the 100 - 300 shots per day over dinner, check to ensure the import is complete and then make the SSD (Sandisk 480G USB3) backup using the iPad as my disk manager.

The My Cloud app worked very well even without reading the manual that I am sure would have told me how to do a couple of things better (like make folders for individual days and, how to take from the download area to the new photo folder I set up.

I tested the import process without re-formatting my SD card and it allows you to tick off only the files you want to import... nice feature although I can see with 100's of photos it may not be such a friendly way to do things. I think I'll test out import without re-formating later today (after golf if it stops raining here!). I tend not to re-format a card when travelling, thus using it for a 3rd form of backup.

One thing that's nice is that the automatic import of the SD cards does so by date, so there's never any concern of overwriting images (assuming you import once per day, which I did every evening once back at the hotel room).

This was one question I had... because when I looked at the file and the folder it created when I imported (not auto import) it said 2016-03-01 which would be totally useless on a trip of 20 or so days... However I also tested the files in LR and the metadata is completely accurate... phew!

It was very easy to set-up and use while on the go, and I'm glad I didn't have to worry about bringing my computer and cables with me. Just my iPad (which is with my anyway for watching content on the plane) and the MPWP hard drive, and I was good to go.

-Ian

The only thing I was really hoping for was that it would show me some form of the photo that I had taken once imported... unfortunately all I get is the file name and a big question mark as I only shoot in RAW. Did you experience the same?

I then tried to access the photos for a quick browse through Snapseed and Genie to no avail... won't find the drive. I haven't tried Photos yet on the iPad but will try again later today.

So this is where we stand now… finding the WD MPWP to be a very useful device and that as long as we don’t intend to do any serious editing while on vacation (I, like others, mostly plan on seeing things, not editing while on a trip) we can now do so without the worry of constantly trying to hide or tote around extraneous hardware. This also leaves us more room in our carry-ons for more glass or another body… imo, far more useful than a computer I wouldn’t use very often.

So… hopefully this will help some of you out there who are struggling with the decision on whether to take your computer with you on a trip or, as is the case for my trips where my prime concern is to ensure I have a reliable, size and cost effective backup strategy in place. I’ve really enjoyed conversing with Ian on this topic and appreciate his feedback all the way through. I think we have an incredible forum here and this just proves it once again.

I’m sure both Ian and will be reporting back on any nuances, updates or other observations as we use this backup solution and we welcome you to do so as well.

wd_passport_in_hand.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
I took one (3gb) of these to Europe a few weeks ago, and used it with my iPad (no computer). Worked perfectly- I had my files on this, the iPad and on the SD cards.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I took one (3gb) of these to Europe a few weeks ago, and used it with my iPad (no computer). Worked perfectly- I had my files on this, the iPad and on the SD cards.
perfect... good to know...

I just got a chance to transfer some photos from the WPMP to my SanDisk 480 SSD and it was very very quick... another plus for this WD BU solution.

Just wish I could view the .orf files with it... @Ranger Rick were you able to view your photos on your iPad without transferring them to your iPad... and were they RAW or jpg?

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
perfect... good to know...

I just got a chance to transfer some photos from the WPMP to my SanDisk 480 SSD and it was very very quick... another plus for this WD BU solution.

Just wish I could view the .orf files with it... @Ranger Rick were you able to view your photos on your iPad without transferring them to your iPad... and were they RAW or jpg?

It's a bit hazy, having been trying this and that. I used the WD app on the iPad to see them on the disk. I put them on the iPad via the Apple connector cable, and also then imported them into LR Mobile on the iPad from the Photos app to sync to the Adobe Cloud. (PITA to have to go to iPad Photos first, but yet another backup). I am sure I could at least see both ORF and jpeg files/formats in the WD app file listing. You can see them on the WD without having to put them on the iPad (tho, as I said, I did do that as further backup). Went "belt-and-suspenders" on this initial use.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
So far the only laptop ban seems to be from a limited number of unstable countries. Is there a real risk it'll escalate?
Hi, supposedly Israel found out about a plot to put bombs in laptops.
US Government is still threatening to expand this ban. There's been some articles and commentary on Bruce Schneier's blog recently.

Interestingly, I flew domestically in the last two weeks, and AA was asking people to keep batteries and electronics onboard if they gate-check bags. They specifically mentioned lithium batteries too.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Just got off an AA flight and they made no mention of batteries or needing to keep electronics with carry on.

I did however get the guy on the access line to security (the one who checks your boarding card before you get in line) telling me that AA would not let me take 3 items on board. I was actually traveling fairly light - a roll-on bag, a laptop case and a very small camera bag. It's nuts - aside from the roll-on (checked at the gate), my stuff is small enough for it to sit on my lap or under the seat if need be. I went to another security gate and had no issue at all - neither with security or AA gate staff!

I wish there could be some consistency on this stuff. It drives me mad and I think some day I'm going to say "to hell with it"!

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's a bit hazy, having been trying this and that. I used the WD app on the iPad to see them on the disk. I put them on the iPad via the Apple connector cable, and also then imported them into LR Mobile on the iPad from the Photos app to sync to the Adobe Cloud. (PITA to have to go to iPad Photos first, but yet another backup). I am sure I could at least see both ORF and jpeg files/formats in the WD app file listing. You can see them on the WD without having to put them on the iPad (tho, as I said, I did do that as further backup). Went "belt-and-suspenders" on this initial use.
so did you use the wifi at all or just the apple connection kit?... I'm wondering if it's because of my older iPad (bought the same day I got my iPhone 4!!) but I'm pretty sure I was able to work on .nef files 3 years ago using Genie on the same iPad.
I won't have anywhere near the room to put a lot of photos on my current iPad and that's not really going to be my MO moving forward either... so hoping just to view them as they sit on the WD WP and then move only a few from each day to share with the kids back home.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
so did you use the wifi at all or just the apple connection kit?... I'm wondering if it's because of my older iPad (bought the same day I got my iPhone 4!!) but I'm pretty sure I was able to work on .nef files 3 years ago using Genie on the same iPad.
I won't have anywhere near the room to put a lot of photos on my current iPad and that's not really going to be my MO moving forward either... so hoping just to view them as they sit on the WD WP and then move only a few from each day to share with the kids back home.
I didn't use wifi for file transfers. I put the SD card directly into the WDPP reader to get the files onto that, and the Apple connection kit to get the files into the iPad. IIRC, wifi has a lot slower transfer rate. I also think you can use the connector to view the files on the card in Photos on the iPad without having to import them first, and then you can touch-select and import to the iPad only the ones you want, again faster than a wifi connection from WDPP (and I think a more robust backup than copying what's on the WDPP, since you are importing originals from the SD card). I only used wifi to connect the iPad to the WDPP to view the files on the WDPP. Hope that answers your question!

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I didn't use wifi for file transfers. I put the SD card directly into the WDPP reader to get the files onto that, and the Apple connection kit to get the files into the iPad. IIRC, wifi has a lot slower transfer rate. I also think you can use the connector to view the files on the card in Photos on the iPad without having to import them first, and then you can touch-select and import to the iPad only the ones you want, again faster than a wifi connection from WDPP (and I think a more robust backup than copying what's on the WDPP, since you are importing originals from the SD card). I only used wifi to connect the iPad to the WDPP to view the files on the WDPP. Hope that answers your question!
yup... I think so... Can't believe it but I finally read a manual! :eek-31: and in it there is no reference to being able to view RAW files... I'm going to check the FileBrowser app as well, although I'll have to try out the method you've suggested using Photos as a browser without importing them all.

Real Name
Walter
Thanks for the informative article and doing all the work of testing. I put the WD My Passport Wireless Pro at the top of my list for travel backup. I previously tried Gen 1 and Gen 2 of the Kingston MobileLite Wireless which I thought would let me transfer files from an SD card to a USB drive, but it never worked reliably for me. The MLW depends on a good WiFi connection so the app can mediate file transfers, and I never got a reliable WiFi connection between it and my iPhone or iPad. It seemed to be prone to interference or something and never worked on travel, although it worked at home, or the app was unreliable. In either case, I gave up on the MLW and have been looking for a reliable travel backup solution.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for the informative article and doing all the work of testing. I put the WD My Passport Wireless Pro at the top of my list for travel backup. I previously tried Gen 1 and Gen 2 of the Kingston MobileLite Wireless which I thought would let me transfer files from an SD card to a USB drive, but it never worked reliably for me. The MLW depends on a good WiFi connection so the app can mediate file transfers, and I never got a reliable WiFi connection between it and my iPhone or iPad. It seemed to be prone to interference or something and never worked on travel, although it worked at home, or the app was unreliable. In either case, I gave up on the MLW and have been looking for a reliable travel backup solution.
thanks @Holoholo55 in fact we're always still testing, trying to stretch the limits, given our current technology (in my case an old iPad) of what any new piece piece of the pie will give us. I, too had picked up various other backup solutions however to date none have really satisfied my need to import photos directly via an SD card... and any that did were rather old, small (MB's), or just plain way too expensive.
Thanks should go to @ijm5012 as well because it was our initial conversations and testing that nudged me personally into getting this WD solution.
Are there things I would like to see in an update... certainly... not least of which would be to use the My Passport app to view RAW files on the drive without having to transfer them to my iPad. @Ranger Rick seems to have been able to accomplish this with the Apple Connection Kit but I had no success with it in my attempt late last night... probably just me though. I was however able to come up with an alternative should I not get that working as Ranger Rick did.

Temp RAW Viewing Solution:
• In camera select a few shots that I know I would like to view later and jot down the image numbers (key step)
• Download photos through SD slot in WD WPMP as we have listed above
• Using My Passport app (as I am still working on the FileBrowser app connection without success) click on the first image I want to work on (that I chose while the SD was still in the camera
• (This next part I will probably edit after re-tested and writing it down as this was another late night expreriment) Once selected (it might take a double click to turn the image title a darker blue) there is a wee menu (might even be the share icon) that when clicked will allow you to "Open in..." just as you would in other mobile or mac environments
• I chose Open in Genie as I find it a very useful little iPad app for editing RAW files.
Even on my older iPad it didn't take long to prepare the RAW file for editing in Genie...
• do whatever edits (there are plenty available) in Genie and then I saved the photo to the Photos app where it appeared in its full glory. The only thing I didn't check (reminder to self) was the metadata to see if the date thing is resolved. That was the one where the imported photo was showing march 2016 but the metadata was the true date. I know on my iPad it shows up in the proper chronological order but need to check on my photostream to see if that is the case there too.

The most important step here is obviously the first one where I know by photo# which few photos I may want to take a look at (you know, just to make sure the lens cap was off during a shoot!). that will save a lot of wasted time guessing at a string of meaningless numbers. I'll only be sending through a few shots and maybe piecing together a short slideshow at the end of the cruise section so seeing all 1000's of photos will not be a concern... hell, I haven't gone through the 3000+ from my last trip in 2014 yet!

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Something re. this subject appeared today, complicating issues :)

Backing up Photos in the Back Country
Interesting... as he points out, no BU system is fool-proof, including HD spinners, SSD or SD cards themselves. Saw this device before and it looked interesting but something about it for my purposes didn't instil confidence... might have been the rider "2) Does not work with Mac formatted hard drive."

Certainly has a decent initial cost however the WD also provides 3TB of storage built right into the unit with an available USB slot for exHD/SSD or thumb disk, not to mention the SD slot tha can also be used to BU to once the original SD card has been removed.

Real Name
Walter
Something re. this subject appeared today, complicating issues :)

Backing up Photos in the Back Country

Thanks for the link. I agree that an SSD would be far preferable to a spinning HD in the WD MPWP, but WD did not provide that option. I wonder if we could substitute an SSD drive for the HD in the unit? Wonder if WD will have the smarts to produce a version with SSD? I emailed WD with a question about SSD. Will update if they respond.

I would not concur with his suggestion to use a RAVpower SD card/USB port hub to transfer files from the card to the external flash drive. I don't have one and don't have any experience with it, but my experience with the Kingston MLW soured me completely on using a WiFi accessible hub and a mobile app as a backup solution. Tried two versions on two trips and both times it failed to be a reliable backup solution. Worse than having nothing at all because I spent money and relied on something that didn't work. Fortunately, did not lose any cards or files.

I do concur with using dual cards in a dual slot camera, like the EM1.2. Cards are pretty reliable as long as you take care of them. That may be the most cost-effective backup solution, except for the fact that if you lose the camera or it gets stolen, you lose the primary data as well as any backup! Double whammy, unless you change your cards every day, and store away the used cards until you get home. That may well be the best solution, but only works for cameras with dual slots, still a relative rarity in the M43 world.

Last edited:

@Michael

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Michael Janke
Seems like the only down side to the WD solution is that it's spinning disks instead of SSD. Otherwise it seems pretty decent.

I solved this problem on a recent trip by:
  • Forgo the laptop in favor of an Android tablet (Samsung mumble-something) with a micro-SD card slot.
  • Put a high capacity micro SD card in the tablet.
  • Buy a special cable from Samsung that lets the tablet read USB devices in host mode, mount the Camera's SD card via the cable and an SD card reader, and show them in the file manger.
Then each day:
  • Use the tablets file manger to copy from the Camera's SD card to the tablets micro SD card [now the photos are backed up to a micro SD card mounted in the tablet].
  • Use Lightroom Mobile to import the raws, edit and sync to Adobe cloud via whatever Wi-Fi happened to be nearby.
I had enough camera SD cards and tablet micro SD cards so that I didn't need to delete any photos until I got home. All photos were stored twice on SD cards, and if I was near Wi-Fi, synced to the cloud.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
I am looking forward to iOS 11 with a real file system. I looked at the WD but I decided on a different method. I download all of my pictures, I shoot in RAW + JPEG, in Photo and let them be uploaded via WiFi. I use sky roam when I question whether I will have WiFi. Buy/Rent Page It is nice to see the new iPads have 512GB of flash.

Post-Script: I never erase cards when traveling.

Real Name
Walter
Thanks for the link. I agree that an SSD would be far preferable to a spinning HD in the WD MPWP, but WD did not provide that option. I wonder if we could substitute an SSD drive for the HD in the unit? Wonder if WD will have the smarts to produce a version with SSD? I emailed WD with a question about SSD. Will update if they respond.

I emailed WD about an SSD in the My Passport Wireless Pro. They said that they haven't tested it with an SSD, and swapping one in ourselves would void the warranty. I also asked them if they plan to produce a model with an SSD, but they wouldn't say. That's not a surprise, but I was hoping for one. After all, they now own Sandisk and it sounds like a no-brainer to me. Toshiba used to have a Canvio Wireless drive with an SSD, but I think its discontinued. Given their perilous financial state, I dunno what to expect from Toshiba in the future.

My friend bought the Toshiba Canvio Aerocast wireless with HDD and seemed to think it worked well. It has an SD card reader in it. However, it's backup function is not incremental. It's all or nothing every time, which means if you back up a card nightly that's used over several days, you get repeats and it takes longer each time as it copies more files. It also requires the use of a mobile app and WiFi connection to mediate the backup, which is where I think the Kingston failed me twice previously. Hence, I'm very suspicious of that methodology, which is why I'm also leery of the RAVPower. I also can't find the Aerocast on the Toshiba website, so I wonder if it's discontinued? Searching for it only leads to a support page, not a product page.

So, like it or not, the HDD equipped MPWP is still the best solution, IMHO. :)

Last edited:

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
The typical laptop HDD can handle over 200G/s of shock when powered off. If you powered off the drive except when it is being used, it should be able to handle very rough conditions. That's more than enough for hiking and typical travel.

Of course, I've seen long off road tours where the vehicle itself starts to rattle apart. I don't think anything mechanical can handle that kind of stress for long. If you are going to travel down bumpy washboards for days, then I'd definitely get an SSD.

Just got off an AA flight and they made no mention of batteries or needing to keep electronics with carry on.

I did however get the guy on the access line to security (the one who checks your boarding card before you get in line) telling me that AA would not let me take 3 items on board. I was actually traveling fairly light - a roll-on bag, a laptop case and a very small camera bag. It's nuts - aside from the roll-on (checked at the gate), my stuff is small enough for it to sit on my lap or under the seat if need be. I went to another security gate and had no issue at all - neither with security or AA gate staff!

I wish there could be some consistency on this stuff. It drives me mad and I think some day I'm going to say "to hell with it"!

They are typically very consistent with enforcing the carry on rules. I am actually surprised you got away with it. Typically (with American carriers at least) you get one larger bag for the overhead bin and one smaller one that can stow under the seat. That's it. And you can't have stuff on your lap during takeoff or landing for safety. For ladies, even their purse counts as the smaller bag.

I use a backpack laptop bag and cram my camera bag inside it as a workaround. If I had a larger kit, I'd probably go the other way and get a camera backpack with a laptop slot.

Last edited:

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
just a few minutes ago I received my wee hard case for the SanDisk 480Gb SSD... I expect my hard case for the WD Wireless Pro will be arriving within a week... might not be a perfect insurance solution for them but I gotta believe its better than nothing!

The SanDisk case holds the small cable as well... bonus.

The WD WP case holds the drive and has an area for 12 or 24 SD cards... but most people are modifying the one section of SD storage space to hold the cable... still means storing the adapter somewhere but I expect that there will be room in whatever camera bag I take along on the trip... probably just a sling will be all that is required not that I've been resurrected in the mu4/3 world!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom