1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Travel advise

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ig7, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I am planning to go to Costa Rica in a few weeks. We are staying in a nice hotel, however I am beginning to have second thoughts about bringing my better lenses (12-35 and 35-100) and leaving them in the hotel room. How safe are those hotel safes? I am tempted to just bring my omd and the 14-150 that I will carry with me everywhere.
    What do you think?

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    If you think you are ok with the 14-140mm alone then I think it is ok to leave those two highend lenses indeed. That 14-140mm will most certainly cover most situations already.

If you have a fast prime to bring along for low light then that would be ideal.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    you don't have a fast prime listed in your signature, do you have one? OMD, 14-150, and a small fast prime like the 14/2.5 or 20/1.7.

4. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Unfortunately not. I sold my 20 and 25 to fund the others. I guess there is always insurance if anything happens

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    One lens, I would take the 12-35 over the 14-140.

One option is to deposit your lens to the safety deposit box at the reception. I usually just keep it somewhere safe and stucked inside the luggage and locked. It will depend on the situation though.

6. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I will look into safe box at the reception. Good idea, thanks

7. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    ALWAYS take your best glass! if not for taking 'em with you to cool and / or exotic places, why else invest in them?!? :eek:

pictures when you get back please! :drinks:

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My thoughts exactly! Why are you worried about leaving your lenses in a hotel room? Take them with you and use them! They don't belong back at the hotel when you're out.

Plus, it's very convenient to have a weather sealed system when you're travelling.

If you're still concerned, just get travel insurance.

9. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    If you're leaving one behind, stick it in the bottom of a suitcase, at the bottom of the laundry bag, I would think no potential room thief would take the time nor have the inclination to root there, especially if you leave no other camera paraphernalia on show!

10. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I travelled recently with the 12-35 and 35-100, they were the perfect combination and fitted in a small shoulder bag along with my G5 that I carried everywhere. The image quality will be better than you could get with the 14-150 and if you have good lenses why leave them at home when you travel to a wonderful location?

11. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Great points. Thanks everyone. I do have a small bag that would fit the extra lens not on the camera. I guess i just panicked reading all the warnings.

12. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    It's a trip of a lifetime for me too. Besides, I am such a newbie, I need all the help I can get :) so it's the best glass to the rescue!

13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'm staying in a range of accommodation, from guest houses, private hostel rooms, motels, cheaper hotels. I keep valuables locked in my large oldish looking backpack. I try not to use my laptop and camera where other guests or hotel staff can see. So far I have been lucky...

14. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    A few years back my daughter was in Costa Rica "saving the turtles". While they were traveling the country and staying in one of the hotels, everyone's room was broken into in the middle of the night while the kids were sleeping through open windows. Wallets, cameras, etc were stolen My daughter's room was so messy between her and the roommates, the thiefs could not find anything in short time they had to spend there. True story, funny and sad at the same time. I guess I can always leave my equipment in her room when I am not taking it with me. She got older, but some things never change

15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hotel safes are absolutely not safe. Who are you trying to prevent stealing the item vs who has the "master key" to the safe? Personally, I don't trust the one at reception either - I ALWAYS take anything of value with me.

How bad would you feel if you saw a shot and realized the lens you needed was back at the hotel?

Buy a small bag and carry both with you

16. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I am sure I will have both with me most of the time. My small camera bag is black so I can always volunteer my husband to carry it too :)

17. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Why indeed?!:confused:

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What others have said: if you don't take your good glass on vacation, why bother buying it in the first place?

I have good insurance (against theft, damage or loss, and for replacement cost not) for peace of mind.

19. Jesse_S

Jesse_S Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Costa Rica is a pretty safe place so I wouldn't be very worried about carrying the lenses with you (with the exception of San Jose, that place can be rough). One of the nice things about m43 gear is that it's smaller so it doesn't scream "I'm a big expensive camera" and I would think you'll regret not taking the best glass you have.

If you're going to the cloud forests, it can also be dark on the ground because it's so dense, so those 2.8s will come in handy.

As for hotel rooms, I travel a lot in developing countries and try to never leave valuables in the room. It's just asking for trouble, especially if they aren't locked up. When I just have to leave something, I've had good succes with PacSafe portable safes (Travelsafe 20L Portable Safe) as they are slash-proof and can be locked to a permanent object. It wouldn't stop a dedicated thief, but it's better than putting it in a backpack or trying to hide it (they know all the hiding places, anyway). They also make a pretty good slash-proof camera bag that can be locked as well.

Have fun! Costa Rica is an amazingly gorgeous place with super nice people. I would love to go back some day.

20. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    :th_salute:Just leave it with me while you are gone, I'll make sure it is safe:cool: