1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Travel Advise: Oswego Toronto Ottawa Montreal QCity

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RKStarr, Jun 5, 2015.

1. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

We're planning a road trip and would love to know of any must-see or must-avoid features along this route.

Our plan is evolving, but a few anchor points in our itinerary are June 14 in Oswego NY and June 29th on Grand Manan NB.

We are thinking to drive clockwise around Lake Ontario, be in Ottawa for a few nights possibly to see the RCMP sunset ceremonies (24-28 June), take in Quebec City for a few days, and so on.

Any travel or photo advice from those familiar with the area would be much appreciated!

2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    FYI, June 29 is too early for whales on Grand Manan, but the puffins will be fine.

Must avoid would be traffic in Toronto and Montreal, avoid the rush hour. Driving into Toronto on a Sunday evening may be even worse than rush hour.

Otherwise, what sort of stuff do you like.

3. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Kinlau for your reply! Traffic alerts are a big help.

We're easily amused, we like hiking, nature, history/historic buildings, culture, especially where it diverges from our own (American/Danish/West-Indian).

Mostly I'm hoping to minimize that horrible feeling after-the-fact of discovering we were just near a great spot or experience and passed it by unawares. I realize that is completely useless in narrowing the focus of the question.

For example I was delighted to learn that there was such a thing as a Montreal Croissant Festival, or La FĂȘte du Croissant;
    and devastated that we would miss it. Oh well.

Puffins are definitely the goal @ Grand Manan, whales would be a welcome bonus.

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Asian food is a big attraction in Toronto, there's a few Asian/Chinese food courts up in Markham and Richmond Hill that offer a lot of good variety, at good prices. Imagine your typical mall food court, but completely Asian with lots of regional specialties. There's no shortage of good Indian restaurants either.

There's numerous street festivals each year like Taste of Little Italy, Taste of the Danforth, Beaches Jazz Fest, and the list goes on and on. Good for street music, food and various other performances.

Ottawa is a small little big town, with quite a few museums in such a small downtown if that's of interest. Definitely try the poutine here or in Montreal.

Btw, be warned that they often cannot land at Machais Seal due to the waves.

The Hopewell Rocks in NB/Bay of Fundy are surprisingly fun in spite of the tourist trap reputation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. franklyadam

franklyadam Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2014
    The rcmp sunset ceremonies are fun :) I got some great pics At the event last year. The time makes the sunlight is just right :) probably best on the north west side of the field if possible to get the sun behind you. You'll probably want 40-150 or 75-300, my 12-40 was a bit short for some of what I wanted.

• Like Like x 1