Trash or Treasure?

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
Living in SE Portland (OR) the past few years has been quite an experience. One thing that is fairly rampant here is that if you want to get rid of something (anything) you just put it out front and wait. I've done it myself to get rid of things like extra roofing material, a bedroom set, old TVs, used tires and random kitchen gadgets. And they all disappeared within a day or two (sometimes longer).

That said, I wanted to start a thread of images of those once loved items now relegated to the curb. Feel free to contribute and if you can/want tell us the location. :)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Living in SE Portland (OR) the past few years has been quite an experience. One thing that is fairly rampant here is that if you want to get rid of something (anything) you just put it out front and wait. I've done it myself to get rid of things like extra roofing material, a bedroom set, old TVs, used tires and random kitchen gadgets. And they all disappeared within a day or two (sometimes longer).

That said, I wanted to start a thread of images of those once loved items now relegated to the curb. Feel free to contribute and if you can/want tell us the location. :)

View attachment 554051
Wow! That TV is older than the house it's sitting in front of. The shared pillar meme on the porch and the cabinet is kind of cool, too.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Probably closer to trash - 2 months ago, Escondido, CA

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow! That TV is older than the house it's sitting in front of. The shared pillar meme on the porch and the cabinet is kind of cool, too.
Funny thing is, I'm fairly certain that TV didn't come from that house. The house is currently for sale and was just completed this year. It was dumped there most likely because no one lives there to complain about it. :) That happens a lot too; people see a dumpster (or anything that might resemble a dumpster, like a shipping container) and just drop off their old mattresses and dining tables from the early 80s. The city could probably mitigate some of this by offering a couple large item pickups per year, free of charge. I'm all for reuse and recycling, but a lot of stuff is just junk nobody wants. :hmmm:

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
I wasn't suggesting that TV was from the 80s. I was referencing another situation where someone dumped a used mattress and a dining table from the 80s :)

If it wasn't so heavy, I'm sure some dude in a man bun would have already carried it off on their 1980s Bianchi fixed gear road bike. ;)

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Set the standards pretty high with that first post... this is the best I can do for now... but I'll be back! I think I've kind of been waiting for this thread. :D

Anonymous corner in the San Fernando Valley...

Last edited:

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
One from this morning. Neighbors are moving out. Oddly enough, he came out just as I was snapping this pic and he asked if we wanted some arm chairs they needed to get rid of... so, we took him up on the offer. After all, the dog needs a place to sit. :D

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
One from this morning. Neighbors are moving out. Oddly enough, he came out just as I was snapping this pic and he asked if we wanted some arm chairs they needed to get rid of... so, we took him up on the offer. After all, the dog needs a place to sit. :D
That would be the Venus de Milo of armchairs... seems like a good fit, though.

agbfoto

Mu-43 Regular
From last summer.

Alex

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
Trash?

Or Treasure?

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
Books Free! "The Right Dose," "Obsession in Death" and "Kosher for the Clueless But Curious." Bonus lamp shade (minus the lamp). At least they kept to a theme.

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
I'm fairly certain one could furnish their house by simply driving around Portland.

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Missing drawers in Oakland

Last edited:

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
This in-need-of-upholstering rocking chair was deemed "treasure" and given a home on the deck with a lovely view of the freeway offramp...

It makes a really nice creaking sound as it rocks. (Oakland, California)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom