Transporting the lens hood

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by prophet, Nov 18, 2014.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Ok, this might be a stupid question: I just got a Olympus 40-150mm, and bought the JJC lens hood for it. Man, this hood is huge! So I was wondering where to keep this thing? Do you leave lens hoods on the lenses? In this case, the lens gets really long. But storing it separated will cram my bag. Any suggestions?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Most lens hoods can be reversed ...
  3. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    You can store it reversed, but I don't recommend carrying the camera around with the hood reversed. If mine was typical, it doesn't attach securely when it's reversed. Mine got lost because I hadn't taken the trouble to stash it in a bag, rather than leaving it reversed on the lens, when I was in a low light environment and didn't want the hood on.
  4. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Remove the hood and slide trough it your bag strap so it hangs out outside of your bag. They are plastic so they survive well.
  5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    If you were talking about the lens hood for the 75-300 lens, then I would totally agree, but the hood for the 40-150 (not Pro) is much more realistic in size & in fact I have modified it to fit the 75-300 lens (& to reverse). Just reverse the hood, but being JJC it might need some slight modifying for a good fit. Use pencil lead (graphite) to lubricate the mating surfaces.
  6. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I have done away with all 'official' hoods. I bought a shorter and narrower metal lenshood for my 70-300 off e-bay that stays on permanently (non reversed) and added a fitting lens cap to its end. Is is as wide as the lens, and ads a little over one inch to its length. I found these types of permanent lenshoods for most of my lenses. They add some size, but very little weight. The lens is ready when I take it out of the bag, and it serves as protection so I do not have to use a protection filter under normal circumstances.