Transparency lost when opening PNG in Luminar???

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BarefootPilgrim, Sep 11, 2017.

1. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I have a transparent PNG that I want to use as a a foreground object in Luminar. But when I open the PNG, Luminar automatically paints the transparent areas white!!! Every other image processor on the planet retains the transparency, but not Luminar. Anyone know how to correct this without creating and re-editing a mask on the PNG?

Thanks for any help!

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    There's a blog entry about it. Layers

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. BarefootPilgrim

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Thank you, mcasan! I appreciate your help. But that article is informative, but not at all helpful to my specific need since it does not address PNG transparency except for a black or white watermark logo. The response I just received from MacPhun's help desk doesn't address the issue either. It appears that (according to their help desk) Luminar does not preserve PNG transparency at all in the latest version, replacing the transparent area of the PNG with a white background. In order to comp a PNG into another image using Luminar, it's necessary to re-mask the PNG image again in Luminar!! That's too bad because there are much more effective tools for masking intricate objects (hair, screens, mesh, etc.) than Luminar.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  4. BarefootPilgrim

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Just thought potential Luminar users might be interested in the response I received from Luminar about this issue, so I'm posting it here....

"Unlike other photo editors you're using, Luminar doesn't yet support alpha-channel import and export, that's why it is impossible to preserve PNG's transparent layers during import. It will always convert to white. If the object is a black text, you can choose blend mode "darken" or "screen" to make white or black transparent.

So if you want to add a watermark, it can be done, just let me see what it looks like.

If you're into some more advanced image manipulation, you won't be able to use Luminar for this purpose."

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Seems right in line with the info in the blog entry I pointed at.

Add a Watermark or Logo.
    A logo or watermark is an excellent way to brand an image before you post it to the Internet or make a print.

Before attempting this procedure, download this custom "invert" pre-set from this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8q4thom4km350lq/Invert.lmp.zip?dl=0

Once you have found the file in your downloads, unzip and place the file into Luminar's custom presets folder.

To find the custom presets folder, launch Luminar, load any image and go to File > Show presets folder. Then place the invert preset file into this folder.

Next:

1. Launch Luminar and open an image.

2. Process the photo as desired.

3. When ready to add your logo, click on layers and select add new image layer.

IMPORTANT! Regardless of whether you wish to add a logo with white letters or a logo with black letters, choose black logo with transparent or white background.

Beginning with version 1.2.1, Luminar turns transparency into white color, so white logos on transparent background won't work.

How to display a BLACK-LETTERED PhotoLogo file in Luminar version 1.2.1:

1. After having selected the logo file the image on your screen will be completely covered by your black lettered logo on top of a white background.

2. Right-click on the new image layer you just created, scroll down to "Image Mapping" and select "Fit."

3. Change the blend mode from "normal" to "darken." This will reveal your black-lettered logo over your image file.

4. Select the transform tool, close the lock and enter the desired size of the logo. Then move the logo to the desired location on your image.

5. Once you are satisfied with the result, you may "save" and/or "export" your finished work.

How to display a WHITE-LETTERED PhotoLogo file in Luminar version 1.2.1:

1. After having selected the logo file the image on your screen will be completely covered by your black lettered logo on top of a white background.

2. Right-click on the new image layer you just created, scroll down to "Image Mapping" and select "Fit."

3. Go to presets, select custom, and click on the "Invert" preset. You will now see your image covered by a white logo over a black background.

4. Change the blend mode from "normal" to "screen." This will reveal your white-lettered logo over your image file.5. Select the transform tool, close the lock and enter the desired size of the logo. Then move the logo to the desired location on your image.6. Once you are satisfied with the result, you may "save" and/or "export" your finished work.