Transitioning to Micro 4/3

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Chasmodai, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Chasmodai

Chasmodai Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    I used to get paid for photography as a side business; In fact, the work paid for all of my equipment and a little more, so it was a way to pay for my photo hobby and justify the expense of fairly high-end equipment That's no longer the case (lack of interest in dealing with customers on my part, not lack of business) but I found myself with a lot of photo gear, much of which was collecting dust.

The last straw was a business trip to Iceland last month. I scheduled it so I would have a couple of days free to do some touring and some shooting (photos). so I packed up a small kit in a photo backpack for the trip; Full frame body, three f2.8 zooms covering from 16mm to 200mm, flash, and a 1.4TC.

When it was time to go I picked up the bag, realized it weighed a ton (which hadn't really been an issue in the past), and on the spur of the moment decided to bring the small Samsung APS-C mirrorless kit I had recently picked up. That kit (body and two lenses) weighed little more than the 70-200 zoom in the other kit. While the handling characteristics of the Samsung are not great, it did convince me that I no longer need to bring the big stuff to enjoy taking pictures..

So this week, after doing a bunch of research I made the decision to ditch the entire giant Canon kit I had assembled over the years. I priced out what I could sell everything for online, factored in the aggravation level of selling the individual pieces, and packed it all up to trade in at my local high-end camera shop.

I traded in the following:

Canon 5DMII w/BG-E6
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7
    Canon 15mm F2.8 Fisheye
    Canon 50mm F1.4
    Canon 85mm F1.8
    Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro
    Canon 135mm F2
    Canon 16-35mm F2.8L
    Canon 24-70mm F2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS
    Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX
    Canon 1.4x & 2x II TC
    Canon Speedlite 580EX (3x) w/CP-E3
    Canon Speedlite ST-E2

and ordered a complete micro 4/3 setup.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless Body
    Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
    Olympus FL-600R Wireless Electronic Flash
    Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 Ultra Wide-Angle Fisheye
    Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital 17mm f/1.8 Lens
    Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens
    Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Lumix G Vario Zoom Lens
    Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II Lens

The entire kit will fit in my small travel backpack and I still have other equipment, too

Canon G15
    Samsung NX210 mirrorless
    Samsung 18-55 OIS
    Samsung 50-200 OIS

and all the non-specific stuff like lights, tripods, monopods, etc, so I can still do studio work if I like. And for those who care, I got about 65% of the retail value of the equipment I traded, but given its age and the issues of dealing with individual online sales to nitpicking photogs, it was still a good deal for me. I came home with a couple K in my pocket, as well. Hopefully the change will allow me to rekindle the passion I used to have for photography as a hobby.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Glad to hear that something new may rekindle your passion for photography. m43 is a fun system, especially for travel.
  3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    I love the m43 system and I also sold my Canon gear. No regrets.
  4. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    It really is perfect for travel. I've got my whole kit packed in a little backpack from LowePro ready to head to Asia in a couple of days. Last year it was my Nikon D7000 and a couple of lenses in a much bigger backpack. Much happier with the smaller kit.
  5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    It's all just equipment. If you no longer need what the larger format gear offers and the m4/3 format satisfies all of your imaging needs, then I'd say you have repositioned yourself well.

At this point, enjoy the renewed enthusiasm and the smaller/lighter kit! And start posting wonderful images made with your new kit.
  6. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Congratulations. I'm really liking the E-M1. I've got the 12-40 f2.8 on order but no estimate on delivery yet.
  7. Chasmodai

Chasmodai Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    I'm still waiting on the body, the 17 1.8 and the 12-40 2.8. I really hope the body shows up this week so I can take it out for a test drive ;)
  8. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    you could have bought yourself a small house with the proceeds of that equipment....
  9. Chasmodai

Chasmodai Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    With the exception of the 5DM2 almost everything on that list was purchased as used or refurb over the last 10 years. The equipment was well used, but I still got a good deal for all of it.

A couple of items, like a mint 300 2.8 L IS, with matching carry bag, I sold individually. For the less valuable items (those that wouldn't pay for nice used car), given their age and condition, the trade-in was the way to go.
  10. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    My 5D2 and M43 gear coexist well and make an able tool chest. My APS-C DSLR--7D--is getting used much less--unless I need the killer AF and reach. I still really enjoy shooting with my 5D2 but normally only travel with it and one or two lenses. I'd be happy traveling with the 5D2 and EF 35 2.0 IS USM. Makes sense as my fav M43 rig is the E-P3/VF-4/17 1.8. I don't feel like the Oly saves significant weight or space over the 5D2/35 2.0. I just enjoy shooting with a variety of gear.
  11. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

As a travel system ยต4/3 is the absolute best. The quality and variety of lenses and camera styles is unsurpassed and the image quality and video quality is good enough for nearly every possible need. Enjoy your new found freedom!