Transferring videos files from SDHC card in Panasonic Lumix camera onto a mac

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by aka, Feb 3, 2013.

1. aka

aka New to Mu-43

Feb 3, 2013
    Dear Mu-43 users,

Please help! I have been using my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10 for over a year now and take videos on it weekly. I then connect the camera to my Mac and download the video files. I then delete the files on the camera itself and am good to go for the next shoot.

My problem is that suddenly I can see my videos on the camera but I am unable to detect them on my computer to download. I think the problem is that I attempted to reformat the card but was in a hurry and hit the "reset record settings". That is the only change that has been made. Also, all photo files are present and BOTH files work on the camera itself.

I have spent hours doing various scans of the cards and nothing seems to be working. I don't want to reformat and lose the videos. This has now happened with the videos on two separate SD cards that I have shot video with.

What should I do? The file on the camera itself says it is "GFS"... does this information help? I'm really clueless about what to do at this point besides reformatting and losing the video :(

Thanks for any help or advice you can give!

Best,
    aka :redface:

2. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Do you normally dump your pix camera to make via a USB cable attached to the camera? Try removing the SD card and plugging it in to a card reader attached to the Mac. I dump my stuff via the card reader slot on my Mac Powerbook. In the meantime until you solve it, just buy a couple of new SD cards to use before you reformat the existing one. Hope you solve it.

3. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    In the settings, check that the USB mode is set to MTP, or PC, or something like that.

4. aka

aka New to Mu-43

Feb 3, 2013
    Hi Liamness,

Yes, it is set to PC.

5. aka

aka New to Mu-43

Feb 3, 2013
    Hi iGonzoid,

I do normally connect to Mac from camera with cable. I tried a card reader connected to my computer and I also couldn't find the files... yet they are still there on the camera playback itself!

6. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Are the files avchd? If they are, try log and transfer to FCP or X if that's what you are using. Might work with Premiere the same way but I don't use that program. Anyway, best to import directly from the card rather than trying to copy files to computer then trying to open with your program.

After 50 years as still photographer I'm finding video a real challenge . So many options!

7. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    If the file structure is the same as my GF1, you will find the video files (called 0001.mts or something like that) within the folder /bdmv/stream/, unless you already looked there?

8. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Do you rely on a prog such as iMovie, iPhoto to say: You have movies can I download for you? I avoid such. If the SD card shows up on the Mac destop as a hard drive icon. I open it, find the folder in which the movies/pix are and drag and drop that to copy to my desktop or designated pix folder. I move stuff manually thus, so I know where they are. Once you know they are copied to your Mac HD. Drag the file/s on the SD card to the trash and delete trash while card is still in the Mac.

9. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    As a Mac and Panasonic user, I know you don't need ANY programs to transfer video files from your Panasonic camera to your Mac. Simply connect the camera to the Mac using a USB cable. Then turn on camera and then camera should say: "Please select the USB Mode". Select PC. Then camera should say: "connecting to PC". Then on the desktop of your Mac look for a NO NAME icon and click on it. Two or three folders should now appear. If you shot some 60p video the .mts video files are located in the PRIVATE folder, then buried within the AVCHD folder inside the Private folder, then further buried in the BDMV folder within the AVCHD folder, then further buried in the STREAM folder of the BDMV folder. But if you shot video in 60i format then they may have been recorded as MP4 video files and those can be found within the 101_PANA folder that's within the DCIM folder. In all these cases you need to drag the video files out of these folders onto your desktop in order to copy them there. Then once copied you should format the SD card in your Panasonic camera to completely erase the videos permanently.

• Like Like x 1
  10. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    are you using imovie? i forget which version that it started in, but at some point you could only import .mts video files straight from the card into imovie. if you copied the .mts files and put them in a different folder, imovie for whatever reason can't import them. i don't know the best work around for this, i just know it was an issue for my friend and his macbook pro

11. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    If you have iPhoto or Aperture using iPhoto libraries, your photo files and videos will be hiding on the mac inside the iPhoto library.

In Finder, go to Pictures, then right click on iPhoto and select "show package contents". You'll see a bunch of folders etc. One folder is called Master, inside it are subfolders for year then month then date (more or less), and you should find the .mov files or whatever (I have an Olympus and Mac) in one of those, along with any raw/jpegs.

12. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    I'm looking for answers on this too. . .

I have a load of Pictures and photos on my GX7 from the other night. All pictures and videos show on the camera playback. But when I plug the card into my Mac, I can't see the videos!!!

I've tried using Finder, iPhoto, and FCP and none of them see the videos. I've tried both connecting the camera to my laptop and using the card directly.

These videos were taken using the 'Rec' button while in P mode. I'm not sure if I've ever tried using the camera for video before . . .

Any suggestions as to the problem??

13. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Ha, Just solved it. Inside the card there is a quicktime file called "Private" next to the DCIM and MISC folders. It appears to be some kind of compressed quicktime format that, can be used to view the videos. Though my quicktime doesn't like to play them very well (looks like a super low frame rate). Am gonna try exporting them out of quick time and see if that improves the frame rate.

In the mean time filming in MP4 seems to solve my issues. Movies on the SD card in that format pop up on my computer like normal.

14. mondotrech

mondotrech New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2015
    Given the information you gave above, I think you might be able to help me. I have a different problem transferring video files from my panasonic FT-5 to my mac. When I open the Private folder on the card, there are no further folders within. That is, no hidden folders such as PRIVATE/AVCHT/BDMV/STREAM. When I click on the Private folder to look for my video files, all I find is a single Quicktime file with the name AVCHD under it. In Finder it is called AVCHD collection. When I click on the file, a window opens with my 4 video files in it. I can open the video files, but I cannot save these files, or move them out of this window. I can save the file to the desktop, but the same things happen. I can open them, but can't save them. From what I've read online, no-one else has had this problem.
    Any advice would be appreciated (from anyone), thanks