1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Transfering photos via wireless on gh3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by beachwood, Feb 2, 2013.

1. beachwood

beachwood New to Mu-43

Dec 9, 2012
    Has anyone got this to work ? I just wasted 2hours and no luck. Of course panasonic website was of no use. If someone has this figured out how about posting a video. :)

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Good question. So far all I was able to figure out was how to use Lumix Link to control the camera, and I saw you can use your account through that to upload to some services like Flickr. I couldn't see any way to upload to the computer directly though.

3. leuallen

leuallen Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2010
    Mackinaw, Il
    I got it to work with Ipad or Iphone, no problem but of no use to me.

To get it to work with my PC notebook I had to get a wireless wifi hotspot, Zalip about $150. Set the hotspot up, connect notebook and camera to it, and images are sent from camera to notebook. Send jpg as raw takes too long.

I could not get it to work any other way.

I was shooting a large number of different group portraits so it was of great use to me. Lightroom was set on the notebook to a watch folder to which the images were sent. The images were then imported automatically from the watch folder into LR. When a group was done, they went to person manning LR and selected their images.

There was a lot more technical stuff I had to do to keep things straight but on the whole it worked quite well.

Larry

• Like Like x 1
  4. beachwood

beachwood New to Mu-43

Dec 9, 2012
    I still have had no luck hooking up with my wireless net. It sees it but no matter how I type in password it will not connect. :)

5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I got mine to work ok. I set it up just to try it out but haven't used it since.
    The instructions on the CD do explain how to do it but not as clear as it could be.
    You need to setup a folder on your PC that has sharing enabled first, then go through the procedure of setting up the camera to transfer photos.
    I'll try to go through the steps once I am home and have the camera in front of me.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well done.

I dont have a GH3 but a mate of mine does.

Now he says that what you 'cant' do with the GH3 is shoot 'RAW + jpeg' and then wifi just the 'jpeg'. If you want to wifi just 'jpeg' you have to shoot just 'jpeg'. Is that right?

7. leuallen

leuallen Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2010
    Mackinaw, Il
    No, that is not right. I shot raw + jpg and transferred only the jpg. There is a setting for a choice of raw, raw+jpg, or just jpg.

Larry

• Like Like x 1
  8. thehaz

thehaz New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2013
    I just received my GH3 and i'm loving the heck out of it. But i cant seem to get it to transfer RAW to my ipad or iPhone. JPG works fine. When I get to that screen on the camera where we're supposed to change format and size, I can't get it to change from JPG to RAW. I don't know if anyone else is having this same issue or if i'm missing something.. Any suggestions? Thanks!

9. toxotis70

toxotis70 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    you cant transfer raw via wifi to your mobile device, only jpg.
    Raw is only for pc.

10. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Check list

Hi guys
    I think I can offer some things you need to check.

1. GH3 uses NetBios to transfer photo to the PC, which Mac’s usually do not use. If you are trying to transfer to a Mac product (on a home network), you will not be able to unless you have either a Windows PC on your network or you have an Apple Time Capsule – both, which introduce NetBios.
    2. If you are trying to connect directly to a Mac product, like a power book, the current version of firmware will not support it. Worry not, for an update is planned for late March!
    3. If you are experiencing problems transferring photo to a Windows based PC you need to install PhotoFunStudio. It creates the Lumix Share folder and sets the folder’s sharing rights correctly.
    4. For a Mac, you need to set the folder sharing:
    Select a folder you intend to send photos to. Select on the items in the following order.
    [File] -> [Get Info]
    Enable sharing of the folder.

5. The GH3 assumes that your PC uses the default “WORKGROUP” name. If you changed it, you need to go into the GH3’s WiFi settings and change it to what ever name you use.

Mine is working fine.
    In addition:
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/info/dsc/update_gh3.html

11. fdonnino

fdonnino New to Mu-43

May 19, 2014
    Look a this video. It was very helpful. But now I have a permissions problem. I can see the image file name in the folder, but can't see the image until I click on it and give it permission. Hope someone can find the answer since I got this far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOwfE-S2KZE

12. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
  13. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Try this from the page I linked:

IIRC I did essentially the same thing, but I used the cmdline chmod command since I always have a terminal open anyway and it's just habit.