1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Transfer warranties?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by makoti, Aug 24, 2012.

1. makoti

makoti Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Virginia
    I've been looking at all the for sale posts for cameras, and notice that the used prices are not that far off the new prices. For me, a big point is can I get warranty work done if needed on a camera I buy used?
    Do Oly/Panny allow for the transfer of warranties? I guess if the seller still has the reciept & card, it isn't a problem since the companies wouldn't know or likely care who actually paid for the camera the first time.
    Thanks.

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    If there is a name on the invoice and it isn't yours you have no warranty.

typed on my phone, sorry.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    No official transfer of warranty for either Panasonic or Olympus.

I think you can argue that it was a gift, provided the original buyer has not registered the serial number. In my opinion, though, better to just assume you have no warranty and factor that into the price.

4. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    I was going to mention that. After I bought a used Olympus E-P1 from eBay a few weeks after the release date, my IBIS system was acting screwy and eventually ceased to function. I had the official warranty card and receipt, so I told them I received it as a gift. (And when you factor in how cheap I bought the camera for at the time, it sort of was a gift. :tongue:)

Well, once I sent it in they replaced all the electronics inside free-of-charge and even extended my warranty for a few extra months. All-in-all, I wasn't the original buyer, but I did receive the warranty service; which was spectacular to say the least. YMMV.

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    That's not true. Most companies don't require a receipt. A receipt is only required to start the warranty from date of purchase. With no receipt the warranty starts from date of manufacture. So as long as the date of manufacture is within the warranty period, there should be no problem getting warranty service as long as the item wasn't previously registered or repaired. If it was, then you may be OOL. I've gotten plenty of things repaired under warranty without providing a receipt.

6. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    In the UK as long as you have the original receipt Olympus at least will honour the warranty.

Paul