Trains - The 4014 Big Boy Comes To Ogden, Utah!

jederick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Warning - These photos are not very good. The crowds were huge and I was being crushed in a mob of people trying to find a shooting lane. Also, temporary fences were erected to keep the crowds from getting too close to the trains. While waiting an hour for the event to begin, I was entertained by people from England, Germany, Ohio and New York...you have never seen so many old men with cameras!

We had not intended on attending the Ceremony in Ogden yesterday celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Golden Spike which marked the completion of the Continental Railway connecting the east and west coasts of the U. S. However, watching news of the planned Ceremony on the TV Wednesday night I suggested that we get up early, go out for a quick breakfast and catch the Front Runner commuter for the 1 1/2 hour trip to Ogden. We arrived an hour early to hordes of people for all corners of the globe. BTW, the train soon became standing room only after a few stops.

Anyhow, we walked the 1/2 mile down to the Ceremony site where the "Big Boy #4014" would meet up with "#844 The Living Legend". Seemed like every Utah politician was there and gave a short speech. And, here it is!!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Alberta Dave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
I was watching some of the video footage on youtube yesterday and was amazed at how many people were out to see/photograph the double header. It's really nice to see that so many people made the effort to get out and see history in action. :) Now maybe UP can restore the Gas Turbine loco at Ogden to running order but I'm sure all of the funds went towards restoration of 4014 so maybe not :thumbsup:.

jederick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Damn...I forgot to include the pix of the historic meet-up of the two trains!

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I had considered driving up for that, but I knew it would be crazy crowded. My relative works at the Union Pacific rail yard and took some pictures of those trains parked in Ogden at night.

Thanks for sharing your pics.

Cool train pics. Too bad there are few passenger trains in the US. And even more sad is no high speed rail like the rest of the world.
There definitely should be more N/S lines on the two coasts, but for E/W travel, the country is just too big. It would take about 16 hours best case to go from NYC to SF using the fastest trains in the world on a straight route. You can fly for $150 in 5 hours. If there were more huge cities the middle for intermediate destinations,then maybe it would feasible. But there just aren't.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
@jederick , thanks for sharing great pictures!
I missed the event, even I was very close (Pineview reservoir) looking for birds. It's been too wet and stormy, and day work has been just little too crazy. Good to know events like that still attract lots of people.

Talking about trains, I missed somehow Japanese 'Tetsudo Otaku', meaning 'railway nerds'. There are all kinds, some folks remember lines and station names, and some remember all the names of railway cars (e.g. name of all blue trains), and some just travel with trains all the time. Some are really 'nerds' eating every bento box at stations (they have local bento boxes available only at train station, called Eki ben). Of course, if you go to local lines when they have steamer D51 (called DeGoIchi), tens of thousands of photographers gather. I think Olympus included "Train" tracking AI just because of these Japanese Tetsudo Otaku.

Hope this is not too off-topic, but when Olympus released EM1.2, they had this video. People in the US didn't pay too much attention, though...understandable, we don't have these trains.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
There definitely should be more N/S lines on the two coasts, but for E/W travel, the country is just too big.
Hmm, this piqued my curiosity so I devoted a few minutes to googling. It's interesting to compare the Japan, EU, and China systems to figure 3 in this US analysis. On a skim, the methods and result of disconnected regional systems which are sort of more E-W than N-S for the US seems plausible.

jederick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@jederick , thanks for sharing great pictures!
I missed the event, even I was very close (Pineview reservoir) looking for birds. It's been too wet and stormy, and day work has been just little too crazy. Good to know events like that still attract lots of people.

Talking about trains, I missed somehow Japanese 'Tetsudo Otaku', meaning 'railway nerds'. There are all kinds, some folks remember lines and station names, and some remember all the names of railway cars (e.g. name of all blue trains), and some just travel with trains all the time. Some are really 'nerds' eating every bento box at stations (they have local bento boxes available only at train station, called Eki ben). Of course, if you go to local lines when they have steamer D51 (called DeGoIchi), tens of thousands of photographers gather. I think Olympus included "Train" tracking AI just because of these Japanese Tetsudo Otaku.

Hope this is not too off-topic, but when Olympus released EM1.2, they had this video. People in the US didn't pay too much attention, though...understandable, we don't have these trains.
Thanks masayoshi, glad you stopped by and enjoyed. I found your narrative on trains and their fans in Japan interesting. Made four WestPac cruises while in the Navy and always had a great time visiting Japan. Bought my first SLR camera there (and a lot of Noritake china for family members) in 1959 at the Navy PX in Sasebo, a Nikon of some ilk.

Also, I enjoyed the attached video...but, I'm sticking with Panasonic!!

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
I had considered driving up for that, but I knew it would be crazy crowded. My relative works at the Union Pacific rail yard and took some pictures of those trains parked in Ogden at night.

Thanks for sharing your pics.

There definitely should be more N/S lines on the two coasts, but for E/W travel, the country is just too big. It would take about 16 hours best case to go from NYC to SF using the fastest trains in the world on a straight route. You can fly for $150 in 5 hours. If there were more huge cities the middle for intermediate destinations,then maybe it would feasible. But there just aren't.
Yes, Amtrak run a line along the West Coast and to other parts. But not high speed. There are tons of areas for stops between NYC and LA. The interstate system developed in the 50s created some huge cities along their routes.

High speed rail was a project in Vegas a few years ago. Was to run off magnetic energy through a tube. California lost a ton of cash to get it underway, but they ran into financial issues. And underlying opposition from powerful unions. Thus, their is a 1/2 mile of magnetic train tube near the Apex on the outskirts of Vegas near the US 95.

I suspect high speed rail would create a huge problem for oil industries, airline industry, car manufacturers, and labor unions that build and maintain freeways. According to online resources, $600+billions are invested each year to resurfacing, rebuild, and maintain the huge amount of roads in the US. Thus, High Speed rail would likely cut a lot of jobs in the construction industry, and minimize profits for the elite.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom