Trains! All aboard! Post your railroad photos

Alberta Dave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
Canadian Pacific 7017 and company crew changing at Kipp just west of Lethbridge. 7017 is painted in the original Maroon and Grey of the CP and is one of a number of new units so treated. Taken on a grey
miserable day just off the side of Highway 3.
CP 7017 23rd December 2019.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Here is my one and only still photo of UP 4140. I took a crappy video that I may try to fix. I also tried to get to the next stop, but a 5 car pile up of train chasers and a road that didn't really go through (MAP LIED), so I missed it's departure.

View attachment 778785 EM126032-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

And the video:

Harvey, I was in a tire shop today and a 89 year old retired engineer was there and we got to talking about the Big Boy 4140. He said the thing got rushed because Santa Fe did not want it on their rails as it was throwing off their schedule. He said he drove out to Victorville, CA to see it and missed it as it was ahead of schedule and did not stop there as planned. Seems the RR argues sometimes about their rails and usage.

Learned it burns oil for the steam looks while the diesel was pushing it. I learned also they spray oil on the rails as the wheel flanges would wear out the rails prematurely on turns. Then they also spray silica sand for traction too at times. He said to visit the locomotive museum in Sacramento sometime as they had a lot of old steam clunkers they pushed there from back east.

Interesting old guy. He's got a nice $7K retirement pension too from the RR. Was pretty spry for being 89 too, just his hearing was weak from all the years of engine noise.

sinclair

Mu-43 Veteran
It's actually 4014, not 4140. And the thing is self propelled, the diesels are not pushing her. They may help to reduce oil and water usage on long stretches, but she is carrying herself along. The diesels main job is brakes. I had the opportunity to see her on two different trips. A steam engine sounds very different between working and going along for the ride. I am only aware of once where they used oil on the tracks to help her around a turn, and that was at 'home plate' at UP headquarters. That's to help her go around a very tight corner.

Unfortunately there are a lot of railroaders that keep propagating the myth that 4014 was just being pushed the whole time and it was all a show. I won't go into details as this is not the forum for such, but it has a lot to do with bad blood towards the head of the UP steam crew.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
49439160511_43751e3ccc_h.jpg

Viaduct at Mirandol - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D7-06 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Our first sighting of the rather impressive Mirandol Viaduct at the hamlet of Mirandol, only a short walk from Chasserades.

Day 7 of 12 – Chasserades to Le Bleymard: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
The old Patagonian Express steam train that today runs from Esquel to Nahuel Pan in Argentina. It's a 75cm (approx. 29.5 inches for those that are still lagging behind the rest of the world :whistling: ) narrow gauge train that was originally used to transport sheep and goods such as leather. Today it's a tourist attraction and jolly good fun.

Last edited:

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This year we went on the Wilderness Railway from Queenstown in western Tasmania. This tourist train has original locomotive and reproduction carriages.
5210788-01.jpeg
01241520-01.jpeg
5210831-01.jpeg
01241514-01.jpeg
01241515-01.jpeg
5210875-01.jpeg

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
The old Patagonian Express steam train that today runs from Esquel to Nahuel Pan in Argentina. It's a 75cm (approx. 29.5 inches for those that are still lagging behind the rest of the world :whistling: ) narrow gauge train that was originally used to transport sheep and goods such as leather. Today it's a tourist attraction and jolly good fun.
Fantastic train and the whole series Steve.
Thanks for taking time to post. Beautiful series of photos
Quite some experience.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Not exactly a photo, but thought you folks may enjoy it. This was made in 1998 on a day excursion my wife and I took From Livonia Michigan to Holland Michigan. The Locomotive is the 2765, a copy of the original Chesapeake and Ohio 2765. "when the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society modified Nickel Plate 2-8-4 S-2 Class Berkshire #765 to look like a C&O K-4 (2-8-4 Kanawha) and along with these modifications, renumbered her to Chesapeake & Ohio 2765." More in the link for those who are interested.

https://locomotive.fandom.com/wiki/Chesapeake_&_Ohio_2765

They stopped along the way and let us off (I think in Wyoming MI) then backed the train up and highballed past us for a photo op.

Excuse the quality. It was originally recorded on a Sony 8mm video camera and then transferred to VHS. I'm actually surprised it looks as good as it does considering it has been stored on video tape (and mostly forgotten) until I digitized it a few days ago. This is a series of highlights from the original. Much stabilization in post, as you will see!

Speakers on!

49674052698_a6062ded1b_b.jpg
Steam Cuts by telecast, on Flickr

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
Not exactly a photo, but thought you folks may enjoy it. This was made in 1998 on a day excursion my wife and I took From Livonia Michigan to Holland Michigan. The Locomotive is the 2765, a copy of the original Chesapeake and Ohio 2765. "when the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society modified Nickel Plate 2-8-4 S-2 Class Berkshire #765 to look like a C&O K-4 (2-8-4 Kanawha) and along with these modifications, renumbered her to Chesapeake & Ohio 2765." More in the link for those who are interested.
Awesome.
Sounds and the smell.
Fascinating to watch those big wheels getting turned by a few levers all doing their thing.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Awesome.
Sounds and the smell.
Fascinating to watch those big wheels getting turned by a few levers all doing their thing.
I was shocked at the amount of debris in the form of unburned coal that flies back past the cars. Sticking your head out of the camera car (which was actually an old mail car with a safety rail across each opening) when it was rolling fast was painful. It would easily sandblast a camera lens. The one shot in the second segment where the camera is outside the car looking forward is as far as I dared go without risking damage.

They knew full well that most people wouldn't be aware and capitalized on it. They were selling cheap safety goggles in the souvenir car for $12 a pop, and that was 20+ years ago. Photographers experienced with steam trains had cases and cheap filters to protect their gear.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
And one more. I've been digitizing old home videos and ran across this forgotten clip. This is the Norfolk and Western 611, A streamlined steam locomotive from the 50's. It pulled the last of N&W's steam powered trains in 1959. This was made on an excursion through SE MI in 1994.

49677285943_e656b8ac76_b.jpg
94 train by telecast, on Flickr

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
This is a private display, been there for a long time. I think the only track is the trestle itself.
49695089183_a6a4a73dc4_h.jpg
P1020537 by telecast, on Flickr

Another one. This guy has a whole setup, the building to the right looks like a station house, but it may be a model train layout or a private museum. I would love to look inside.

49695088753_2f1218adec_h.jpg
P1020546 by telecast, on Flickr

Spotted this in an old switch yard which has pretty much been abandoned.

49695090358_053542f430_h.jpg
P1020534 by telecast, on Flickr

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is my favourite photo from our Wilderness Railway tour in Tasmania.
01241429-02.jpeg

Latest threads

Top Bottom