Trains! All aboard! Post your railroad photos

Good Afternoon,

The Nevada Northern Train Museum is located in Ely, NV which is about 400 miles east of Reno. I was given the surprise of my lifetime by my youngest son; driving the #93 (2-8-0) for nearly 2 hours on the 4th of July for my 69th birthday. I had to "quick-study" a 138 page manual for about an hour in prep of a 50 question cert-exam and passed with a 98%...I assumed it was open-book...:drinks:.

Regards,

Edd
Shop-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Shop-1bw.jpg
93.jpg
Firing-1.jpg
Training.jpg
Edd-3.jpg
Edd-2.jpg
Edd-1.jpg

Congrats on your driving experience I'm sure it is a day you will remember :thumbup:
Dave,

It was an absolute blast and the crew-members gave me a lesson in the history (mining & ranching) of the surrounding area on top of the railroad information, and after the driving experience, a personal tour of the shop and restoration areas. I lucked out on the weather too; the cab temps were in the mid-80's as we started out in a thunderstorm. My son had a GoPro mounted high in the center of the cab, pointed in my direction, while I took a GH-2 with 14-42 that I normally use as a "one-time" camera. Everything worked well; no FF needed here!

Regards,

Edd

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek
Not sure if it belongs more to trains or cars, so x-posted in both threads.

It was used by the management officials for inspections.
There is a mech to lift it and turn around - to make the way back easier 🙂 .

20126001lca-s.jpg

20126000lca-s.jpg

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
At the park by my house...
9532DBCA-D712-4E06-989B-30EDDF4E6A87.jpeg

3B294433-C9E6-4FB5-A980-93169A0D4389.jpeg

B3ABFF7C-7F83-4DC6-BE2A-2AAF844B1D6F.jpeg

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
My cousin is/was the historian for the C&0 (then Chessie then CRX?) Railroad. Has a bunch of interesting photos and documents in his archive. Used to publish a newsletter; I've always been fascinated by rail buffs tracking the location and travels of different cars and locomotives, much like tagged birds or animals.

Anyway, I rarely spy a locomotive, but this crossing is near home:

_MG_4243_A.jpg

Rokinon 8mm f3.5 CSII @ f8.0

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek
Snowpiercer
(Retired)

20126051lca1jp.jpg

Last edited:
Good Morning,

A follow-up with photos provided by my daughter while waiting for me to begin my adventure...:)

Regards,

Edd

IMG_7645.jpg
IMG_7638.jpg

IMG_7635 (1)-2.jpg

Last edited:

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek
20125963lca.jpg

Sawdust

MU-43 Tourist
Real Name
Carroll
Drama in Clinton, Missouri

In this scene, the "Trainman", is standing in the highway of the crossing. This crossing does not have any warning lights or signals, and is "Exempt", as signified by a sign on either side of the crossing.

Recently, the "sorting and gathering" of train cars from Champion Oil, and Farmer's Elevator (seen in the background) has been changed from end-of-track at Champion Oil, to the siding beside Farmer's Elevator.

After much manuvering today, the locomotive is "backing up" the train of cars here, (traveling from right to left), to travel to Champion Oil at end-of-track.

Last week, this same scenerio was enacted, with the Trainman riding on the leading tank car, as the train backed up. At this crossing, a passenger car was on course to ram the tank car the trainman was riding on. Only after much frantic waving of his arms did the car come to a stop, within a few feet of disaster. I couldn't hear what the Trainman was shouting, I am sure it was interesting, to say the least.

This week, the train stopped just short of the crossing, and the Trainman climbed down from the tank car, and stopped traffic, then radioed the engineer to proceed.

The Trainman then mounted the train car, and this was repeated at each crossing on the way to Champion Oil.

I shouted at the trainman, as the train went by, if he was the one that warned off the vehicle last week, and he said he was, and then added a colorful description of drivers at crossings in Clinton.

Pictures may be worth a thousand words, but not in this case. LOL

Safety First.jpg

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian

In this scene, the "Trainman", is standing in the highway of the crossing. This crossing does not have any warning lights or signals, and is "Exempt", as signified by a sign on either side of the crossing.

Recently, the "sorting and gathering" of train cars from Champion Oil, and Farmer's Elevator (seen in the background) has been changed from end-of-track at Champion Oil, to the siding beside Farmer's Elevator.

After much manuvering today, the locomotive is "backing up" the train of cars here, (traveling from right to left), to travel to Champion Oil at end-of-track.

Last week, this same scenerio was enacted, with the Trainman riding on the leading tank car, as the train backed up. At this crossing, a passenger car was on course to ram the tank car the trainman was riding on. Only after much frantic waving of his arms did the car come to a stop, within a few feet of disaster. I couldn't hear what the Trainman was shouting, I am sure it was interesting, to say the least.

This week, the train stopped just short of the crossing, and the Trainman climbed down from the tank car, and stopped traffic, then radioed the engineer to proceed.

The Trainman then mounted the train car, and this was repeated at each crossing on the way to Champion Oil.

I shouted at the trainman, as the train went by, if he was the one that warned off the vehicle last week, and he said he was, and then added a colorful description of drivers at crossings in Clinton.

View attachment 900453
But eloquently described in only a couple of hundred words.
Nice story. :thumbup:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...

View attachment 900453
But Carroll, surely it's every American's constitutional right to compete for the Darwin Award?
No matter how ridiculous or downright stupid their action may be ...

Sawdust

MU-43 Tourist
Real Name
Carroll
But Carroll, surely it's every American's constitutional right to compete for the Darwin Award?
No matter how ridiculous or downright stupid their action may be ...

LOL I agree, John. The Trainman seemed to indicate Clinton drivers were going above and beyond to win that award. I will have to agree with him.

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
I just recently visited the Ernest Warther Museum in Dover, Ohio.
https://thewarthermuseum.com/
He spent a lifetime carving scale replicas of famous train engines using wood and/or ivory. I was amazed at what this man did, as a hobby and no formal training. If you get a chance to visit this museum, you will really enjoy it and they permit photography for personal use only (no videos). Attached are a couple of images. I hope this is within the parameters of this thread!
P7160362.jpg
P7160356.jpg
P7160360.jpg
P7160343.jpg
P7160365.jpg

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek
20126833lca-s.jpg

jederick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Caught up with this train twice on the way into Ely, NV. Evidently the train had been in the shop for maintenance and was out doing a test run. During summer months, you can reserve tickets to take a short few mile train ride to Ruth, NV.
RX100059.jpg
RX100061.jpg
RX100063.jpg
RX100072.jpg
RX100077.jpg
RX100078.jpg
RX100106.jpg
RX100108.jpg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom