Trains! All aboard! Post your railroad photos

Real Name
Walter
Here's some from our trip to Seattle in July 2019. We used the Sound Transit Link trains to get around the Seattle area. These were great and very reasonable.

Sorry, iPhone photos, not M43.

At the University of Washington Husky Stadium station, the track was far underground because the tunnel goes under a canal. We had to use a couple of long escalators to get down.
48341466882_586dac35ae_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

On the platform.
48341325101_b94a3b53ef_c.jpg

48341327281_005c05ed36_c.jpg

The interior.
48341467157_966c7af9bf_c.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
On the same Seattle trip, we used Amtrak to go from Seattle to Vancouver, WA. We didn't rent a car for this trip, depending on public transportation and a few rides. Shot with iPhone.

At the beautifully restored King St. Amtrak station in downtown Seattle waiting for our train to Vancouver.

Our return train to Seattle arriving at the Vancouver station.

Inside the very comfortable Amtrak car. There was a galley car where we could get some Ivar's clam chowder. Yum. My nephew and son.

Our friendly and pretty conductor bidding us goodbye.

Real Name
Walter
Some photos from our trip to Japan in 2013. Mostly shot with iPhone, although I also had my first M43 camera, an EM5 w/12-50. (The Olympus weather sealing proved its worth because many days were very rainy, and it didn't stop me from taking the camera out.)

I can't praise the Japanese rail and public transportation system enough. Wonderfully run, frequent trains, on-time performance, clean, and safe. The intracity trains were very reasonable too. The Shinkansen are more expensive, but having a JR Railpass makes a huge difference. You can just show them your rail pass and you don't have to have tickets. We got tickets for reserved seats.

Our Shinkansen arriving.
10755583323_6b102663f4_c.jpg

Waiting on the Shinkansen platform. Note the ekiben (train bento/box lunch) store at the right. We had heard that ekiben were a thing to do on the train and looked forward to doing that. We didn't know you were supposed to buy your ekiben BEFORE you boarded the train. We thought they sold ekiben from carts on the train. Wrong, the attendants with the carts just sold drinks and snacks.
10755206245_78028ffb29_c.jpg

However, when we asked the attendant about ekiben, she was kind enough to call ahead and order some for us which she picked up at the next station. We gratefully thanked and reimbursed her for the ekiben, then tucked in. What surprised me was that so few other passengers (almost all Japanese) did not eat on the train. We thought it was a tradition, and felt a little self-conscious. I thought, why sell ekiben if you're not supposed to eat on the train? Heck, we ate anyway. We were hungry. :)
10755527003_7a71725a40_c.jpg

It was fairly easy to get around in the train stations. Signs alternated between Japanese and English. After an initial adjustment to learn the system, we had few problems finding our platforms. Except in the cases where there was construction (rather commonly) and we had to find temporary signs showing us which way to go. But, we managed fine.
10755368914_f8a98e4e74_c.jpg

10739027983_dc7ff5e0f9_c.jpg

The cars on the Shinkansen were roomy and there were racks for luggage. We used carry-on rollers and backpacks because we knew that we'd have to lug our own stuff and space was limited. Worked out fine. Some
10738938623_dfdb83f9ae_c.jpg

Legroom was ample. Enough space to place our backpacks in front of us.
10738777594_eae28aeb58_c.jpg

Dylan checking out a commuter train going by at Arashiyama, Kyoto.
10753527733_2cab22e694_c.jpg

Typical car on an intracity train.
10755599773_3bebc18a8a_c.jpg

On another commuter train. My sister was so happy that she could reach the hangers.
10738591304_791c9e339f_c.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom