Trains! All aboard! Post your railroad photos

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
The old Patagonian Express steam train that today runs from Esquel to Nahuel Pan in Argentina. It's a 75cm (approx. 29.5 inches for those that are still lagging behind the rest of the world :whistling: ) narrow gauge train that was originally used to transport sheep and goods such as leather. Today it's a tourist attraction and jolly good fun.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This year we went on the Wilderness Railway from Queenstown in western Tasmania. This tourist train has original locomotive and reproduction carriages.

The old Patagonian Express steam train that today runs from Esquel to Nahuel Pan in Argentina. It's a 75cm (approx. 29.5 inches for those that are still lagging behind the rest of the world :whistling: ) narrow gauge train that was originally used to transport sheep and goods such as leather. Today it's a tourist attraction and jolly good fun.
Fantastic train and the whole series Steve.
Thanks for taking time to post. Beautiful series of photos
Quite some experience.

Sawdust

Mu-43 Veteran
Gathering cars for the trip South out of Clinton, Missouri.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Not exactly a photo, but thought you folks may enjoy it. This was made in 1998 on a day excursion my wife and I took From Livonia Michigan to Holland Michigan. The Locomotive is the 2765, a copy of the original Chesapeake and Ohio 2765. "when the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society modified Nickel Plate 2-8-4 S-2 Class Berkshire #765 to look like a C&O K-4 (2-8-4 Kanawha) and along with these modifications, renumbered her to Chesapeake & Ohio 2765." More in the link for those who are interested.

https://locomotive.fandom.com/wiki/Chesapeake_&_Ohio_2765

They stopped along the way and let us off (I think in Wyoming MI) then backed the train up and highballed past us for a photo op.

Excuse the quality. It was originally recorded on a Sony 8mm video camera and then transferred to VHS. I'm actually surprised it looks as good as it does considering it has been stored on video tape (and mostly forgotten) until I digitized it a few days ago. This is a series of highlights from the original. Much stabilization in post, as you will see!

Speakers on!

49674052698_a6062ded1b_b.jpg Steam Cuts by telecast, on Flickr

Not exactly a photo, but thought you folks may enjoy it. This was made in 1998 on a day excursion my wife and I took From Livonia Michigan to Holland Michigan. The Locomotive is the 2765, a copy of the original Chesapeake and Ohio 2765. "when the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society modified Nickel Plate 2-8-4 S-2 Class Berkshire #765 to look like a C&O K-4 (2-8-4 Kanawha) and along with these modifications, renumbered her to Chesapeake & Ohio 2765." More in the link for those who are interested.
Awesome.
Sounds and the smell.
Fascinating to watch those big wheels getting turned by a few levers all doing their thing.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Awesome.
Sounds and the smell.
Fascinating to watch those big wheels getting turned by a few levers all doing their thing.
I was shocked at the amount of debris in the form of unburned coal that flies back past the cars. Sticking your head out of the camera car (which was actually an old mail car with a safety rail across each opening) when it was rolling fast was painful. It would easily sandblast a camera lens. The one shot in the second segment where the camera is outside the car looking forward is as far as I dared go without risking damage.

They knew full well that most people wouldn't be aware and capitalized on it. They were selling cheap safety goggles in the souvenir car for $12 a pop, and that was 20+ years ago. Photographers experienced with steam trains had cases and cheap filters to protect their gear.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
And one more. I've been digitizing old home videos and ran across this forgotten clip. This is the Norfolk and Western 611, A streamlined steam locomotive from the 50's. It pulled the last of N&W's steam powered trains in 1959. This was made on an excursion through SE MI in 1994.

94 train by telecast, on Flickr

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
This is a private display, been there for a long time. I think the only track is the trestle itself.
P1020537 by telecast, on Flickr

Another one. This guy has a whole setup, the building to the right looks like a station house, but it may be a model train layout or a private museum. I would love to look inside.

P1020546 by telecast, on Flickr

Spotted this in an old switch yard which has pretty much been abandoned.

P1020534 by telecast, on Flickr

This is my favourite photo from our Wilderness Railway tour in Tasmania.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Here's another shot of the little switcher. I found it intriguing because it's built in the same rear-cab form as a steam locomotive but diesel powered (edit: Not diesel, but propane). I poked around a bit on the internet and can find some similar, but no real info. The closest I could find was a Darlington 0-6-0 built in 1962, but it is much larger. Maybe one of you train people can shed some light.

49716330831_97e2b82efa_h.jpg P1020573 by telecast, on Flickr

Last edited:

fishtug

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monty
Here's another shot of the little switcher. I found it intriguing because it's built in the same rear-cab form as a steam locomotive but diesel powered. I poked around a bit on the internet and can find some similar, but no real info. The closest I could find was a Darlington 0-6-0 built in 1962, but it is much larger. Maybe one of you train people can shed some light.

View attachment 810770P1020573 by telecast, on Flickr
Apparently it is a Plymouth switcher previously owned by Hayes Albion - Great picture -

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom