Trains! All aboard! Post your railroad photos

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
About 20 years ago my wife and I took a trip from Livonia MI to Holland MI aboard a Berkshire, pretty sure it was a 2-8-4. Seems like it was numbered in the 700's.

There was a mail car with the door open and a rail across the opening for photo-video taking. If you stuck your camera out the door, the lens would be abraded by the significant amount of soot and unburned solids that came from the stack. The only way to get a shot was wait until the train was on a curve and shoot through the opening with the camera still inside the car. I used an 8mm video camera for that trip, still have the video somewhere.

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
A few more of the 611:

And from behind the 611:

Real Name
Todd Cleaver

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Fill her up.
Volunteers on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway filling the saddle tanks of No14 Carron

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
Irish Rail Intercity from Cork to Dublin crossing the River Barrow at Monasterevin

Sawdust

Mu-43 Veteran
Not a train...however, I have never seen a trailer like this before, thought it might be of interest.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Not a train...however, I have never seen a trailer like this before, thought it might be of interest.

View attachment 755144
But it is a train! If you look underneath next to the tires, there's a railroad wheel. Those flatbed trailers have hydraulic (maybe pneumatic) axles that raise and lower to allow them to run on tracks. The box itself is held on to the flatbed with pins, and they can mount different length boxes on the trailer. It's a slick system, the front of each trailer is supported by coupling it to the one in front of it requiring only one axle per trailer. When it reaches it's destination they just hook it up to a semi tractor and take it down the road. We used to see them a lot around here, although I haven't seen one in quite some time and had forgotten all about them until your post.

Not my photo, found it online. This is the same idea but uses a two axle truck instead of a built-in axle.

Sawdust

Mu-43 Veteran
But it is a train! If you look underneath next to the tires, there's a railroad wheel. Those flatbed trailers have hydraulic (maybe pneumatic) axles that raise and lower to allow them to run on tracks. The box itself is held on to the flatbed with pins, and they can mount different length boxes on the trailer. It's a slick system, the front of each trailer is supported by coupling it to the one in front of it requiring only one axle per trailer. When it reaches it's destination they just hook it up to a semi tractor and take it down the road. We used to see them a lot around here, although I haven't seen one in quite some time and had forgotten all about them until your post.

Not my photo, found it online. This is the same idea but uses a two axle truck instead of a built-in axle.
View attachment 755156
Thanks, Brownie!
That is very interesting. Just goes to show one is never too old to learn something new! lol

fishtug

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monty
Port Stanley Terminal Railroad on a bright first day of summer - A local tourist short line that runs
excursions from Port Stanley Ont up to St Thomas Ont - They keep
most of their rolling stock in fine condition -

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom