Trading via Buy n Sell forum, how to?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SteveNunez, Apr 1, 2014.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    How do you guys go about trades on the Buy N Sell forum with members that don't know each other?
    Is there an acceptable method for trades?

Myself and a forum member were going to trade some items and cash and when I inquired as to how might we do this trade, the member replied I should send the items and payment, he would then inspect and send his item.......I declined as I see myself at 100% risk yet the other member has zero risk! .....how does that sound like a fair or even trade? When I informed him of my reluctance, he replied he has great feedback via eBay, this forum and FredMiranda which I haven't confirmed but am not denying, but why must I take the initiative and send my items while he waits then sends his?

I won't name him as I don't wish him any negativity and don't think he's trying to scam but why must 1 party wait til the other is satisfied while one just sits and waits for approval?
    What is the common practice for trading? Terms?

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    There is a saying for online buying/trading - Buy the seller. You have to investigate sellers/ traders references and if you are satisfied that you are dealing with an honorable reliable person, then it does not matter who sends what first. Worst issues come up after things are received and then you d better hope the other party acts in an honorable manner. There is really nothing more to say IMHO . If you are not comfortable with results of your investigation into other party, then don't buy/trade with them.

3. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Understandable, trading doesn't sound like something I'd be inclined to get involved with......I prefer cash payment or cash sale.......never know in the future how I'd feel though!

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I never did trades, but if I would it can be done as two sells - biggest item being sold first and then other party make partial refund when smaller item is received.
    Just make sure it's written in PayPal transaction that you can return big item for full refund in N period of time.

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Just do it as two separate PayPal transactions, that way you are covered for 3% fee.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Well, its really no different than buying, in terms of trusting the other person enough to send them something of value upfront .

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've only traded twice but in both cases, both parties sent the items at the same time. Obviously, that only works if you have a fair amount of trust in the other party. If you don't have that kind of trust, IMO the only way to go is to first sell, then buy.

8. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Just so there aren't any concerns and so that people don't think anything shady is going on, I was the other member involved with the trade. Steve didn't feel comfortable and we talked about it and decided that it was best not to do a trade. I was not trying to force him into a trade or anything like that, just wanted to clear the air.

9. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    For the record, I do think Duke is a standup guy, but wasn't inclined to trade in the fashion mentioned.
    I never mentioned Duke as the intention of ths post was to learn how others deal with trades as our current situation must be surely experienced by others.....thank you all for the replies.

10. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I did a trade on here awhile back. We sent each other an invoice through Paypal. Once paid we shipped the item with insurance. We paid the Paypal fees and it just worked. We were both happy with the transaction and items. Just make sure images of the items are shared so that you know what to expect in the package.