1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trading Silver 45m and 75m for Black Ones?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by aukirk, Jun 30, 2013.

1. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    When I bought my Olympus 45m and 75m lenses last year, my biggest complaint was that they were not available in black. Now that the black ones are available, every time I put one of these lenses on my black-body OM-D I think about how much better it would look if it was black!

Although it seems totally irrational to take a $75-$125 loss by selling my silver ones used and buying new black ones, I am seriously considering doing it... am I alone in this?

I feel totally superficial buying something that functions exactly the same way, but since photography is a hobby, I do think I would "enjoy" using the black ones more for some weird reason...

2. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    If it makes you happy, and you can afford it, why not?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

3. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    I've bought a silver 45mm last year september for 239,- Euros. Two weeks ago my new black one arrived (232,- this time).
    In Germany this lens is somewhat more expansive, so I've ebayed my silver one this week for 216,- Euros. A 23,- euro loss after 6 months, pretty good...

And for me the gear is part of the fun, so I don't have any problems reasoning the expense...

4. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I really like the look of the silver 45mm. I would actually pay more for it. I WOULD take the used one off your hands because I've yet to buy the 45, the problem is, that what I can get for $350 new I wouldn't dream of paying any more than half used. I'm kind of of shocked how products hold their value so much these days.

5. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I want a silver 17mm 1.8 with my E-P5 kit... Why Olympus threw in a black one with the silver body is what I've been wondering. Thinking about selling the black one and buying a silver...

6. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    Wanna trade? :) PM me.

7. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    I actually much prefer the silver version for the 75mm.
    Now the 45mm definitely looks better in black!

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I would if I didn't also have a silver OM-D.

9. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    I find that while the silver lenses don't look good on the Black OM-D (IMHO), the Silver OM-D makes both colors look great!

10. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I agree... When they didn't have black 45 and 75 versions, I was wishing I had got the silver, but I definitely prefer all black with black lenses

11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I agree with this.

12. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Indeed. My first OM-D was a black one.
    Although I really wanted a silver model, I wanted the OM-D above all and settled for whatever color they had available.

Then, once I got my original silver 45mm, the desire to get a silver one came back rushing and I ended up being able to replace my black OM-D for a silver one.

However, if they had the black primes back then, I may not have ended up trading and just always longed for the silver body instead haha!

/endfunnystoryhere :p

13. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I got the black 75m and it is absolutely gorgeous! Love it so much more on the Black OM-D... I think this will be mounted a lot more... off to shoot

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Got a black 75 for my silver e-m5 and it looks great. Now if I could only find a hood.

15. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I understand wanting to switch over...HOWEVER...you've had the silver/black combo for a while, a few more months won't hurt you. By then, there will be more of the black ones on the used market, and you should be able to more or less break even (sell your used silver, buy a used black).