1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Trading GX1 for G3?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Brodie337, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Has anyone here done this?

I've got a GX1, and it's lovely, but I've been thinking that I'd rather have a viewfinder now, whereas initially, it wasn't a big deal for me. Do you think it'd be fair to do an outright trade for a G3? Or am I just mad?

2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    You're not mad. :smile:

But, if you can swing the extra cash I'd get an LVF2 or trade up to the G5 instead. The G3 is a great body but the GX1 has improved on it in every way except the built in finder and articulating LCD. IMO of course.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Am I right in thinking that the sensor is basically the same in the two cameras? I can't really swing the extra cash, though. Bills to pay and all :p

What's AF speed like between the two?

4. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Same sensor but slightly better optimization. Definitely high ISO noise and I wouldn't be surprised if dynamic range wasn't also improved. Image processing is also better in regards to AWB and jpeg color.

For me and most may disagree I like the ergonomics better on the GX1 despite the missing finder and LCD.

An AF speed difference was imperceptible to me.

You really can't go wrong with the G3 but I think there will be things that are noticeably different.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Thanks a heap :)

I think I'll have to sleep on this one a bit.

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    If you don't need the smaller form factor of the Gx1 than its a fine trade. I was agonizing for a long time over which one to get. Almost went with G3 but that sale fell thru which I took as a sign that I should get Gx1 instead. This happened right around the time Gx1 prices plummeted. So that made the decision easier.
    you are right, they do have pretty much the same sensor. Gx may be a tiny bit faster and probably has better JPEG processing.
    I actually like G3 grip a lot more than the smaller Gx1 grip, though leather half case I have on mine does help a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  7. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I've had both. I'd save for a G5. The ergonomics on the G5 are that much better...

• Like Like x 1
  8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Only thing is from what I've seen the gx1/g3 has better iso performance for far less money right now.

9. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Reference re "iso performance"?

10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    DXO I know the gx1 is better, but I'm pretty sure the g3 is better as well.

typed on my phone, sorry.

11. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    DXO is a mystery to me. Other review sites say IQ at lower ISOs measurably better on G5, roughly equal at high ISOs. I currently have all three, so I guess I could devise a test protocol...but the ergonomics of the G5 are so much improved re the G3 that the roughly equal ISO performance matters not!

• Like Like x 1
  12. With the G5 having the GH2 sensor, I wouldn't be surprised if the GX1 and G3 actually produce marginally less noise at higher ISOs. On the other hand, compare the dynamic range between them and the GH2 and you'll see why the G5 was upgraded to the GH2 sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Before you make a decision I would consider what lenses you use or intend to use
    Larger lenses such as the 14 - 140 and 100 - 300 are IMO much better balanced, comfortable and secure on the G3 compared to the GX1
    The GX1 has a slightly better range of direct control buttons and has that feeling of quality
    If you retain the GX1 and could consider the viewfinder later on when finances allow perhaps (and viewfinders are easier and cheaper to buy) then you would have the choice of using the GX1 with or without the viewfinder according to preference at any time - the GX1 is more pocketable without the VF (with pancake lenses)
    Whichever way you go the swap would not be something you would have to regret in terms of value as GX1 prices have plummeted (at least they have here in the UK)
    I should think that the performance is very similar on both models (have or have had both)
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Lens wise, I'll be keeping it smallish, probably no bigger than the 25mm PL (when I can afford one!). The G5 felt a bit too bulky for me, whereas the G3 was basically my upper limit, size wise.

15. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    I have both. I haven't searched it, so it may not be substantiated, but the GX1 seems to autofocus much better in low light.

• Like Like x 1
  16. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    I have both... IMO the GX1 is a bit snappier overall in it's various functions... is also very small, which is nice.

G3 has the EVF, which I really like a lot and end up using most of the time over the panel... and the articulating screen is real handy... those are the reasons I bought it actually. G3 is really pretty darn compact itself.

I like both, and could live with either, they're just a bit different... that said, I dunno that I could live without an EVF at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sdeban

sdeban Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    I traded my GX1 for a G5 and have no regrets. The electronic shutter and viewfinder are great.

• Like Like x 1
  18. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    The difference may well be measurable, but it isn't relevant. The G5 measures as ISO 618, GH2 655, G3 ISO 667, GX1 ISO 703.

This is what DxO marks says about the ISO figure:

In other words, you won't see the difference between the cameras. Certainly, I'd take the increased dynamic range at low ISOs over a ~15% difference in their ISO figures.

The only difference in bulk is the grip - which makes the camera much easier to hold IMHO. Ergonomically the G5 is streets ahead of the G3 (if only for the auto EVF/LCD sensor).

• Like Like x 2
  19. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    Don't forget about external flash. With G3 you can mount any Pana/Oly external flashes on top or off-camera via cable to use in TTL mode AND simultaneously look through EVF for best framing (actually this was one of the major reasons for me in favour of G3). You can also make VERY low pictures with G3 without necessity to be on your knees as with GX1 and LVF-2.

20. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    GX1 + LVF2

I would certainly agree with John.

I upgraded from my GF1 at Christmas and thought about the G3 but opted for the GX1 + LVF2 (viewfinder offers same quality as G3 EVF) - the GX1 does have its advantages from a point of view of size, speed, image quality and for my use (when I dont want to carry my DSLR) it is a clear winner.

[​IMG]