Trade In/Trade Up offer from Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcsitkin, Sep 6, 2017.

1. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Anybody tried this yet? Looks like a fixed amount coupon plus a trade in credit on select gear.

Here's the link: Trade Up Trade In | Olympus

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It would still be $2200 CDN for the E-M1 Mk.2. I'll wait for a better deal in the next year or 2; my E-M1 Mk.1 works better than I do.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    It looks like a fixed amount coupon. But then they have you rate your gear, give a low-ball price nowhere near the amount claimed in the ad. The next disappointment is when they tell you the low-ball isn't guaranteed, you must send your gear to B&H for appraisal, and if you & they can't agree on a price, they return your gear to you. Then you end up at a cart where you are asked to pay the current price for new gear. You have to "give" them a lot of gear to get to the amounts they advertise. It's a come on IMNSHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Carbonman

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    My understanding is that you can go to any authorized Olympus dealer and make the same deal. You can bring in any piece of SLR or DSLR equipment and that automatically gets you the $300 discount, then it's further discounted by whatever they will give you as a trade in for what you dragged in. I don't have anything that I want to trade in and the discount on the E-M1.2 alone isn't enough to seriously entice me.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  5. twokatmew

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    That's what I thought initially, but when I ended up at my cart, there was no discount, just the current going rate. I hope you're right. Unfortunately there are no authorized Olympus dealers around here, so I can't test this out. I'll give the online offer another whirl. :)

6. marcsitkin

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I'm sure the offer on the used gear will be minimal, but a $300 discount on a PenF puts a new one in range with a used one. My trade in gear has been sitting on the shelf for three years, so it can go away with nothing missed. We shall see!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vamsee

Vamsee New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2017
    College Station, TX
    Vamseedhar
    B&H and Adorama have the similar program. I used the offer with B&H and bought 45 f1.8. I had an unused sigma lens that I traded for 50$. I got a 200$ discount on 300$ lens so I effectively paid 50$ which is a great deal. When I checked back today the cost had gone up to 400$. Still 200$ is 50% off which is a great savings.

Now I hope the lens is delivered when my wife is not in home ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Jonnieb

Jonnieb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Jon Barnett
    Just acquired an Olympus Pro 12-100. $200 (CDN) off, plus another $60 for trading in a 17mm 2.8 (no front cap, no box). Plus you save the cost of HST tax on the value of the trade-in as well.

Been wanting this lens, but choked at paying full price.

9. marcsitkin

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Do you have a link to the program on B&H or Adorama. I'd like to check it out

• Like Like x 1
  10. twokatmew

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I'd like to try again. The link in the OP goes to a company I've never heard of ... and didn't work for me. No discount shows in the cart! B&H / Adorama link please? :)

11. Vamsee

Vamsee New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2017
    College Station, TX
    Vamseedhar
    • Like Like x 1
  12. twokatmew

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
  13. marcsitkin

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
  14. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    I did this deal when I got my EM1mk2, last December, here in Canada. I traded in the EM1mk1, the grip, some batteries, an extra charger. I think I'm missing something. Either way, I got ~$800 knocked off the price of the Em1mk2, and ended up paying $1699+tax. Not too shabby.

15. Carbonman

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It would be nice if they gave a percentage discount to us Canadians. It would translate to a $375CDN reduction in price. Oly won't get any more money from me until they level the playing field across their continental operation. :mad:

16. marcsitkin

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    So, Adorama came back and said not interested. Used Photo Pro, reached via the Oly site came back with a coupon and an offer of $115 for the used gear.
    I'm off to Hunt photo in Providence RI tomorrow with the used gear I had quoted and some other stuff to see what they offer. Not sure if the coupon is good only through Oly direct, or if hunt will take it.

17. marcsitkin

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    A story with a happy ending. Took the used gear to Hunt Photo in Providence, they honored the trade in offer from Used Photo Gear, were able to apply the $300 coupon from Oly, and took another lens and some misc gear, resulting in a next cash outlay of less than $200 for the new PenF. Very happy with these results!

• Like Like x 2