Trade-in a broken E-M5.2 for an E-M1.3 for $750 USD

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
A bit of back story: I had a E-M5.2 I bought refurbished several years ago. I used it a lot in Miami but It failed with a completely stuck shutter and wonky power-on state a couple months after I moved to NYC last year. I've been shooting with two separate E-M1.1 cams I bought from forum members since.

I sent in the E-M5.2 and Olympus repair tells me that the repair is just over $250 but they also offer me a trade-in option. I can buy a refurbished E-M5.3 for $600.60 USD or $750.00 USD for an E-M1.3! Plus applicable taxes. (YMMV based on what the camera is and it's age.)

I pondered long an hard about this. I actually wanted to return to the E-M5's smaller profile, lower weight, etc. but I have also encountered shooting birds and other things where better focus control would be helpful and the 1.3 has a focus joystick now which may help with that. A few other features set it apart. I figured the odds of me buying an 1.3 with low usage at that price anytime in the next 1-2 years are pretty low. So I departed with about $825 after NYC/NYS taxes. The transaction is done through the repairs department. They have to call HQ and ask for a price change to charge it correctly as a special order item. Separately, I went to the GetOlympus store and bought the $99 2-year warranty extension. I usually say that "If it still works in the first 90-days it will keep working for years" ,derived from my experiences in computer systems support since the 1990's and most consumer electronics. I figured in this case it was worth it, given any repair of that camera would be $170-$300 and with the amount of shooting I would do in 2 years it will have some reasons to quit.

Anyway, I'm excited for it to arrive. I figure mid-next week given the roundabout order process. Note: I asked about what is done with the old camera and got the answer I expected - it gets disposed of as e-waste. They don't fix "used" cameras for sale as refurbished, only customer returns get refurb treatment.
So, if you happen to have an Olympus OMD camera that needs repair, or it doesn't but you don't use it anymore it may be worth a shot if you are looking to upgrade. I can't say if they would give such a hefty discount if you send in an E-M5.1 or M1.1. I only had this one experience so not enough data points to make any reasonable assumptions.

Hopefully, this info helps someone else on the forum with seeing if this is a good upgrade path for them.

Besperus

New to Mu-43
Real Name
David Sirr
EM1 .3 is miles better than what you are used to. Depends upon your skill, use (pro?), and learning all those features. Great upgrade.

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The camera arrived today in good order in an Olympus branded "Certified Reburbished" box. The camera only 660 mechanical shutter clicks. Everything looked new. Thankfully I was able to set up FedEx Ground shipping progress alerts and got a notice via email 5 minutes after they left the box in the lobby of the six floor apartment building I live in which has had issues with stolen packages before. Now I have to buy a spare battery soon.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
The camera arrived today in good order in an Olympus branded "Certified Reburbished" box. The camera only 660 mechanical shutter clicks. Everything looked new. Thankfully I was able to set up FedEx Ground shipping progress alerts and got a notice via email 5 minutes after they left the box in the lobby of the six floor apartment building I live in which has had issues with stolen packages before. Now I have to buy a spare battery soon.
Having the extra battery is prudent but, if you get in the habit of charging via USB, you may hardly ever use it. Congratulations on the 1.3. It's a wonderful camera. The only downside to it is, once you get used to the joystick . . . you'll probably want another.

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Having the extra battery is prudent but, if you get in the habit of charging via USB, you may hardly ever use it. Congratulations on the 1.3. It's a wonderful camera. The only downside to it is, once you get used to the joystick . . . you'll probably want another.
Thanks for the tip/reminder. I'm likely to forget something related to USB charging more than forgetting the camera battery but it's certainly a useful feature. I do carry around a small USB battery pack just in case but I have and rarely use it because the iPhone 11 easily runs the whole day from a full morning charge.

I feel like the joystick may change the way I focus and compose more than I might expect. For most of the shooting I do I use single-point center AF with back-button focus and recompose to suit which I'm very used to. This grew out of my frustration with how all cameras I have used with multipoint automatic focus don't pick what I want 80% of the time the first time and probably 60% the second time. But for certain subjects like birds and flowers that are in between other things and I want to keep the composition and guide the camera to focus on the subject, the joystick really sounded a good feature to have.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom