Tracking AF rather than Focus and Recompose?

OK I'm ready to get mocked loudly here for just discovering this but I don't seem to have ever seen this mentioned before.
So basically, focus in the centre as you would normally do [to capture the subject], recompose to suit and then shoot with the subject in focus in what ever part of the screen you choose.
It's not always going to to be pin point accurate but I'm finding it's working quite well with my GX85/PL25
This should do away with any concerns of shifting the focal plane when recomposing.
? :whistling:

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I do focus and recompose because, that is how I did it with manual focus lenses on 35mm film cameras.
And for me, it is faster than moving the focus point with my thumb.
I also do not having to move the focus point back to the center afterwards.

I usually do not move the focus point, unless I will be shooting several/many shots with the focus point in that other position, or it is a slow single shot and I have plenty of time.

Last edited:

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
OK I'm ready to get mocked loudly here for just discovering this but I don't seem to have ever seen this mentioned before.
So basically, focus in the centre as you would normally do [to capture the subject], recompose to suit and then shoot with the subject in focus in what ever part of the screen you choose.
It's not always going to to be pin point accurate but I'm finding it's working quite well with my GX85/PL25
This should do away with any concerns of shifting the focal plane when recomposing.
? :whistling:
I recently read of someone else using tracking AF for that, too. I've never used tracking AF so my ignorance is making me skeptical but I should give it a try.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use tracking focus for moving objects. I couldn't do without it at air shows.

MadMarco

Mu-43 Veteran
I have tried this technique and it can work, but I find that focus and recompose with single AF gives a more accurate and predictable AF. This is with an Olympus E-M1 II so it might be very different for other camera bodies.

Real Name
Walter
I usually use S-AF to focus and recompose. However, I know in specific circumstances that could lead to inaccurate focus. I think the closer you are to your subject, the longer the focal length, or the wider the aperture, the greater the chance that could happen. My EM1 III has an AF joystick, but I have not gotten used to it or used it much. I'll have to experiment with C-AF+TR to see if it would work for focus and recompose.

I do this with my EM1.2 but only in the winter. I find that moving the focus point by swiping on the touch screen with the camera is fast as the joystick on the EM1.3 but with gloves this works well enough.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom