1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Toyo / Tou / Five Star 28mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by sprocket87, May 29, 2014.

1. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    I was digging through an old camera bag with some MD mount lenses that I picked up for $15 at a thrift store and found a somewhat generic 28mm f/2.8 by "Tou/Five Star". According to Google this came from a company called Toyo, even though that name does not appear on the lens, and is a decent but not spectacular performer. I took a smattering of random snapshots yesterday to see what it was capable of.

The most interesting thing about this lens is that it labeled "Macro", at 1:5 magnification, which isn't huge, but can make for some cool photos at 28mm focal length. It focuses fairly closely, and the manual focus action is quite nice. The ring is grippy and turns smoothly with just enough friction. The distance scale on the lens is nice and the aperture ring clicks and operates wonderfully.

Optically, the biggest drawbacks seem to be lack of contrast SOOC and somewhat severe CA. It's not really purple fringing per se but the overall "glowing" look at high contrast areas. Additionally, it is handles flare very poorly -- shooting anywhere near a direct light source absolutely nukes the contrast. I suspect this is due to the old, cheap coatings (it is labeled MC, for what its worth). But aside from those optical aberrations, the lens is surprisingly sharp and quite fun to use. I'm going to keep this one mounted for awhile I think.

On to the samples... these are not SOOC JPEGs -- a few were RAWs converted and processed in Lightroom, a few were JPEGs beamed to my iPad via Eye-Fi card in JPEG format, then processed in Snapspeed. Most of the processing was very light - just contrast bump and a little sharpening. A couple are more "artful" if you want to call it that.

Note: ALL samples were shot wide open (f/2.8), manually focused using the 5x focus assist on the O-MD E-M5 (I have that mapped to Fn 1) in Program mode, while I rode exposure compensation. There are a few different ISOs ranging from 200-1600 depending on the scene.

(Click for full size -- not original resolution but pretty big anyway)

1. Lanier Mini Cassette Recorder -- a nice looking decoration for my office that serves no earthly purpose in this day and age. Light processing in Snapspeed on iPad.

XgKSnOAl.

2. Blueprints -- just a snapshot of some floor plans sitting on my desk. This is approximately a 3" x 2" area of view. The sharpness is surprisingly good, though the unprocessed JPEG was quite flat. Contrast and a touch of sharpening boosted in Snapspeed on iPad.

IimJBP7l.

3. Motherboard -- Again, a pretty small area of view that this lens captured quite sharply. Notice the CA "glowing" effect I mentioned near the high contrast areas. Still, not bad. Contrast/saturation/sharpening in Snapspeed on iPad.

50zFGlil.

4. Bell & Howell 1 - An old magazine camera serving as a decoration in my office. Again, this lens can be almost razor sharp if you nail the focus, and render colors and tones quite pleasingly, if flare is avoided. Processed in Snapspeed on iPad

HsCNlufl.

5. Bell & Howell 2 - Another composition and processing of the above. Snapspeed on iPad.

9lbzAfRl.

6. Watch - Snapshot from the driver's seat (parked!). Again, a flat shot that a contrast boost brought to life, but the "glow" CA is a little distracting. Bokeh in this shot is busy but okay. Contrats, sharpness and saturation bumped in Lightroom

BHTjnpnl.

7. Switches -- Another driver's seat snapshot. Rendered to B&W with basic contrast and sharpening added in Lightroom.

yXDMrgOl.

8. Leaf -- I was impressed by the sharpness of this shot. It looks a bit overprocessed, but the only thing I did was a bit of contrast and sharpening in Lightroom. The halo/glow around the edge of the leaf was present in the SOOC RAW file as well, it was not introducted by processing.

mjArU9il.

9. Cottonwood Sea -- Man, the trees are in full bloom around here. Cottonwood layered grass around the park I was at. I do like the color rendering and bokeh of this lens. Contrast and sharpness boosted in Lightroom.

ZmaxEaDl.

10. Accessories -- A desktop snapshot. Notice the colored aberrations at contrast areas (where the mug meets the desk, glasses earpiece, etc). Processed in Snapspeed on iPad.

ELJETnrl.

So all in all I'm quite fond of this little 28mm that I got for next to nothing. SOOC photos are flat and a bit dull, but still sharp, and they process quite nicely. I think this is a lens with a little more personality than some of the more "clinical" and obviously higher quality AF MFT lenses.

Thanks for reading! If anyone else has one of these floating around I'd love to see your findings as well.

• Like Like x 2
  2. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Oh, I almost forgot -- how this lens looks on my OM-D (with half of the HLD6 gri

7qqeLZE.

It's a pretty typical 28mm prime size. Nice and light, comfortable to carry around. I love it.

• Like Like x 1