1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

'Toy' Pen F camera (Sharan Minox Minatures)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by barry13, Dec 11, 2015.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    And they had a Spotmatic:
    E9223489-Pentax Spotmatic-Sharan Minox Miniature Cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I would love that, it's so cute.

Only if it took half frame pictures though, none of that full frame subminiature stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Yikes - f/5.6, way over the diffraction limit of small sensors. Regardless of the optical quality of the lens, this thing'll never be usable at its best ...

That said, those models do look cute. Still, I perfer my all analog PEN FT :)

M.

5. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    These are all analog too... Film... no digital diffraction.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Oh - my bad, sorry for not getting the picture (so to speak); I wonder if the film is still available outside of Japan (I simply haven't seen the Minox cartridges around anywhere for some years now ...).

M.

7. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Yeah... My dad had a Minox spy camera (like the James Bond one) that used tiny Minox film cartridges; I've actually still got one of the empty film canisters but I wasn't able to find the camera.
    A page (Some Useful Resources for the Minox Enthusiast) says the film is still available in the US but the page linked to is dead.

They're selling digital Minox spy cameras now: MINOX Digital Spy Camera

Barry

8. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    As far as I can see, they've stopped selling the DSC quite some time ago, too. Alas, the sensor never was up to snuff, while the concept itself is very close to the venerated spycams of old. One of my friends had one of the original ones, and he shot amazing pictures with it - the lens was very good, and the camera extremely well made and well though out. If the images from the DSC had been any better, I probably would have bought one. But they made it a toy. Pity ...

M.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Haha, well diffraction is still an issue with film. It would only be a non-issue if the film did not have the resolving power to make it an issue. Which is certainly possible.

Anyway, super cute cameras. You certainly wouldn't be buying them for the image quality. I have a real Spotmatic II, but in Minox form that Pen F is particularly striking.