Townsville Seascapes

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by MattNQ, Aug 1, 2012.

1. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    having just joined, I thought I'd share few shots of one of Townsville's more interesting bits coastline as part of my introduction.
    EPL1 + 9-18mm

• Like Like x 16
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Those are gorgeous seascapes, thanks for sharing!
  3. xellz

xellz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2012
    Really like your style. Also enjoy high contrast landscapes. Hope i can get oly 9-18 soon, really miss wide angle.
  4. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    You might be new here, but it doesn't look like you're new at photography. Those are great images - wall hangers.
  5. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I love the first shot! Would really like to see it a bit larger :)
  6. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks all for looking & the kind comments.
    Roger, you are correct - I'm not new to photography. I got my EPL1 almost 2 years ago, which was the first time I have explored settings on any camera beyond Auto, and it has been a fairly steep learning curve since then. I do enjoy trying different things, especially with water movement.

Lawrence, I'll try this to see if it appears larger (linked from Smugmug)

• Like Like x 8
  7. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    NICE!. I like the fact that you can see someone fishing off the lets me know even though the picture looks out of my reach and so perfect, one day I too could be standing on that dock. WONDERFUL
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    the bigger size looks great
    • Like Like x 1
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Great work, Matt!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. justin4192

justin4192 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    Beautiful photos! Great composition and lighting!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TDP

TDP Guest

wow, great long exposures and color tones
  12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    These are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Very, very nice.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Wow, nicely done! :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Wow, these are gorgeous. I agree, #1 looks smashing as a larger image. I'd have it hanging on my wall if it were mine.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    lovely photos. I was looking for places to go for a holiday. NOw I think I know
    where to go.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Great shots!! Just came here after looking at your B&W shots. Both sets are great!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. beckyi90

beckyi90 Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2012
    Stockton, UK
    Love the photos :)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Awesome images 'em.

I'm glad to see some really nicely done long exposure wide angle landscape shots....I've only just recently bought a cokin P holder and some Hitech filters...(4 stop ND - 2 stop soft grad - and a 2 stop reverse grad) and am hoping to take the pana 7-14 out to give it a try.

I'd love to know more about your kit and process you used for the shots....did you use just straight up ND filters or grads as well ? Also the warm tint...was that done in post or with a filter ?

Sorry to hit you up with so many questions but I am only a newbie too having got off auto mode only a year ago.

• Like Like x 2
  20. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    Hi Joe. I don't mind the questions.
    My kit is fairly simple - EPL1 with the 9-18mm M.Zuiko.
    I have a Cokin P holder with Cokin GND filters. I have previously used a screw in ND filter with the GND, but it does vignette on the 9-18mm, so I usually don't use them together.

For most shots on the rocks, I use a Joby Gorillapod - you can set it up almost anywhere - nice and secure on uneven rocks.
    Exposures are really not that long. Here I am usually looking for interesting water movement, so I start at around 1/4 second shutter speed & move up & down depending on wave speed until I get the texture & shapes I want
    The best shots are usually close to the water, so I often get my feet wet. Seems simple, but one of my most useful purchases was a good quality pair of surf shoes. plenty of grip on wet rocks.

The warm tint on #1 was post processing. Other processing was usual levels, highlights, saturation etc
    #1 & #2 I had to lighten some of the rocks where the GND had darkened them a bit too much.
    #3 also has a little software GND filter applied as well, but there is still no substitute for the real thing.
    • Like Like x 1