Tournament of Roses Parade

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
My wife has always wanted to see the Tournament of Roses (Rose Bowl) parade in person. This year (well actually the first day of next year) I will make that happen. We have bleacher seats on Colorado Blvd. We will also be touring some of the float decorating and post parade float viewing. I would like to shoot the street crowds, floats and bands. During the parade I will be limited to shooting from the bleachers. My plan right now is to take a Panasonic 7-14 and 14-140; I’d also have a Panasonic 14MM with me for walking the street. So my question for anyone who has shot this parade is does that sound about right? This is my typical vacation gear and not having been to the parade before it would be my natural go to gear. If however, I don’t need this much range I’d be willing to travel lighter.

Any advice from anyone that has shot this (or other big parades) would be appreciated. Naturally any other non-camera parade advice is welcome.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi, the 7-14 might not be useful except for the close-ups after the parade and at the decorating locations (if they let you get close).
Note the decorating usually is indoors in warehouses and can be very dark.
Flash might be needed.

Although it supposedly never rains on the parade, it sometimes rains early in the morning, so make sure you have some plastic bags.
It also can be quite cold if you are sitting in the dark before the parade. This depends on the location as it's a couple hour difference in when the parade passes.
Walking may be difficult; people bring chairs and sit on the sidewalk.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom