1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tourist in my backyard - USS Hornet Museum with OM-D!

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by denis_sf, Jun 14, 2013.

1. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    I've lived in Oakland for the last 2 years and the Bay Area for most of my life. I'd never visited the Hornet museum on Alameda until today. Loaded up the kids and drove out there to soak up a few hours' worth of history.

I highly recommend this spot if you're a military history buff or just enjoy history in general. There are guided tours of points of interest that are not accessible on your own. The docents make the experience so very rich in context and character.

Anyway, enough narrative. To the photos. All the shots with the 14/2.5, ISO800 below decks. The last shot is ISO200 in bright sunshine. What a great camera. I'm really impressed with the low light performance and autofocus in less-than-ideal light and the 14 is a great little lens.

I purposefully did the bare minimum of post production (I tend to get a bit hung up on post and wanted the photos to be mainly untouched).

Attached Files:

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

USS Hornet is fun and my kids liked it, too! Take the docent guided tour but also feel free to take a self guided tour as well. Me and the boys found all kinds of cool out of the way stuff - take flashlights and/or head lamps and go into the dark and deep places for even more fun! We would have gotten lost except I brought cotton twine and played Hansel & Gretel when we went "off the map". The boys still talk about that trip a year later.

Next time I'm taking glow sticks for way point markers - that twine was nice but kind of a hassle.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'm a USAF guy myself but you sure did a heck of a job capturing Navy history :smile:

4. I get mine via amazon.com they are eight hour, white, ten per box. Believe they were $19.95 now I just checked and they are now $8.62 for ten.
    I have no connection to these light stick folks nor to Amazon.

I would still take the twine.