Tough day for cameras at the beach

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by demiro, Jun 12, 2015.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Just back from a week at the beach. Bad things happened. First full day my wife drops her Sony waterproof camera in to the ocean. Despite clear waters and repeated searches it was not to be found. Ended up running out to Best Buy for a new Olympus TG860 with flip screen for selfies. My 10 year old loves it.

Second day I decided to climb up on a rock to get a better angle for a shot with my Nikon A. I turned the wrong way and took a header in to the sand. I landed on my elbow instead of my hand (holding the Nikon) but the camera still hit sand lens-first (it was on). Lots of sand in and around the lens, and the thin metal closure around the lens is buggered up and will not close. Not sure if it is bent or just blocked with sand. I've blown it out and brushed it, but it needs to be taken apart and cleaned.

Good news is that it works fine. For now. I'm debating if I should in fact go for the dis-assembly and try to clean it, or just use it as is and enjoy the lack of worry about what might happen to it in the future. Any thoughts?
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Your credit card company may actually cover the cost of cleaning it.
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Tough day. It reminds me of when I bought a Casio Commando smart phone. Super military spec waterproofing and impact resistance. So, of course, I lost it.
  4. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest