tough camera?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by soulofoto, Jul 3, 2012.

1. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    ....what would you suggest for a tough camera? I will purchase an OMD EM5 when I can get somewhere that has them in stock...but now I am thinking that I would also like a camera that offers nice image quality and that I can drag to the beach, in the waves or risk dropping it from a galloping horse or that the kids can mis-handle and the camera might still have a chance of functioning. I have a collection of non-functioning cameras that were dropped, so this would be a priority. I don't dive so anything deeper than a drop in the sea is not necessary....suggestions? Any new cameras on the horizon?

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
  3. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Hmm is this a legit question or an attempt at marketing the Olympus Tough series? :rolleyes:

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    what?? :confused:

5. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    stange that you should ask...I get those monthly emails from Olympus.com and the tough cameras are on sale. I was gonna use the term "built Ford tough" camera but that wasn't available...

anyhow, any near indestructible, waterproof cameras with great IQ?

6. abl33

abl33 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    I bought a panasonic lumix TS-3 for that purpose. I followed the instructions they give, took it underwater snorkeling and scuba diving. I actually thought the picture quality was really good. No problem at all, and I didn't have to worry about it.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Actually the Oly TG-1 looks really nice to me. Have been considering buying it in lieu of the OMD housing for shallow (30 ish feet?) work.

8. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    The panasonic waterproof series have been the undisputed tough camera for years now. I'd actually recommend the ts3 over the newer ts4 just because it's so much cheaper these days.

9. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    I presume the TS4 is the newest iteration of that Lumix cam?

10. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    I see the TG-1 looks really interesting...

11. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Until now. Saw one or two reviews recently that put the Olympus TG1 on the top of the heap.

12. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    ^ Yeah, other manufacturers have caught up with panasonic this year but overall, imo, none has still matched panny's combination of toughness, waterproof-ness, image quality (both underwater and um, overwater?), video, and gps in one package. It's got a pretty hefty price though, thus the ts3 recommendation. I prefer tg1's looks for what it's worth.

I'm waiting for the day they put a bigger sensor on tough cameras, kinda like what they have on the canon s100 and even the fuji x10.

13. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    It's good they have some serious competition now! Always good for the consumer when the dominant brand gets a rude awakening.

14. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    bumping this...anything better than the Oly TG-1?... any new cams?

15. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    TG2 iHS announced....