1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Touchscreen: hidden advantage?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jamespetts, Dec 29, 2012.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Back in days of old when men were bold and cameras took film, I used to take a lot of photographs using a tripod; and, whenever I used a tripod, I'd always use a cable release, because the pressure on the button needed to activate the shutter was often enough to cause camera shake at the low shutter speeds made possible with a tripod for which I used it when taking photographs with ISO 50-100 film.

Although I use a tripod much less now (one of the advantages of Micro Four Thirds is that I can carry a good body and a range of good lenses in a tiny bag), when I do, it seems that the touchscreen on my E-P3 takes such a light touch that I can take photographs without using a cable/remote release and still avoid camera shake.

This was a somewhat unexpected advantage of the touchscreen (I still love the touch focus/shutter release function), but a useful one, I think.

2. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Hopefully that little tap to the touch screen isn't enough to shake the camera, I guess it depends on how slow your shutter speed is tho. Have you ever used the little 3 second or so timer on the shutter? You push it and 3 seconds or whatever goes by and the camera snaps a photo without you laying another finger on it.

3. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I'm aware of that technique - that was possible back in the 1960s when my older film camera was built; that has the disadvantage that one cannot accurately select the moment of the photograph, and it's a little fiddly to set up (both on older and newer cameras) compared to a cable release.

4. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Very true, I guess it really depends on what you are shooting too. I tend to use the second delay method when I would shoot landscapes and other subjects that didn't really move.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    At the point that I invested enough time and effort setting up a camera on a tripod and getting everything right, I'm going to use my $3 wired remote I bought on Amazon. At least that's what those of us from the days of wooden ships and iron men did.