1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Touchscreen: hidden advantage?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jamespetts, Dec 29, 2012.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Back in days of old when men were bold and cameras took film, I used to take a lot of photographs using a tripod; and, whenever I used a tripod, I'd always use a cable release, because the pressure on the button needed to activate the shutter was often enough to cause camera shake at the low shutter speeds made possible with a tripod for which I used it when taking photographs with ISO 50-100 film.

Although I use a tripod much less now (one of the advantages of Micro Four Thirds is that I can carry a good body and a range of good lenses in a tiny bag), when I do, it seems that the touchscreen on my E-P3 takes such a light touch that I can take photographs without using a cable/remote release and still avoid camera shake.

This was a somewhat unexpected advantage of the touchscreen (I still love the touch focus/shutter release function), but a useful one, I think.

2. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Hopefully that little tap to the touch screen isn't enough to shake the camera, I guess it depends on how slow your shutter speed is tho. Have you ever used the little 3 second or so timer on the shutter? You push it and 3 seconds or whatever goes by and the camera snaps a photo without you laying another finger on it.

3. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I'm aware of that technique - that was possible back in the 1960s when my older film camera was built; that has the disadvantage that one cannot accurately select the moment of the photograph, and it's a little fiddly to set up (both on older and newer cameras) compared to a cable release.

4. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Very true, I guess it really depends on what you are shooting too. I tend to use the second delay method when I would shoot landscapes and other subjects that didn't really move.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    At the point that I invested enough time and effort setting up a camera on a tripod and getting everything right, I'm going to use my $3 wired remote I bought on Amazon. At least that's what those of us from the days of wooden ships and iron men did.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.