Touchscreen differences between E-M5, E-PL5 and E-PM2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slothead, Jan 23, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I was just comparing the three cameras on the B&N page and all three say '3.0" tilting touchscreen' but looking at the E-PM2, it sure doesn't look like its touchscreen tilts or moves at all! I know the other two are very similar in this regard, if not identical, but the E-PM2 does not fit the description. Can someone confirm this?
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    EPM2 is not tilty
  3. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Really the only differences with E-PM2 and -E-PL5 is tilting screen and Mode dial found on E-PL5. Neither is found on E-PM2.

Oh, and a hundred bucks.

OM-D has tilt screen, Viewfinder, much better IBIS, and a bunch of dials to make handling quicker.

4. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    don't forget e-pl5 and e-pm2 with 3 inch but 16:9 screen, the em5 is 3 inch 3:2 screen.
  5. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Further to what others have said, the E-PL5's screen can tilt 170%, upwards to allow you to take those happy moment "snap-its". The OM-D can only tilt 90%. Neither can tilt sideways.

The E-PL5 is LCD, while the OM-D is OLED, which is probably easier to see in bright sunlight.
  6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    This is not a trivial difference. It's a difference between 3" and 2.5" when shooting stills. The OM-D also has more accurate color.
  7. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    I don't know about the particulars of the OMD's panel, but when it comes to smartphones OLED is typically much worse in terms of sunlight visibility.
  8. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Agreed. Standard LCD screens have a backlight shining through a colour "film" that shows the image. Under strong sunlight the ambient light itself bounces off the backlight and the film, so you can still see something (although not very well). With OLED there is no colour film or backlight; the entire image is made of light emitting pixels. Under strong daylight these can't compete with the sun and the image can disappear altogether.

Having said that, the OLED display is typically brighter than the backlight of an LCD display, and often uses less power as blacks and dark colours are simply not emitting rather than being a full-on backlight blacked out by the LCD film in front of it.

9. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I've not had any problems with the OLED on the XZ-1 or the EPM2 on bright days. Of course, I don't chimp a whole lot either, so it hasn't been too critical.
  10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    All good data. Thanks guys.