Touch Screens

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BobBill, Dec 3, 2012.

1. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    I like using it, but it is useless or nearly so in bright sun etc. Maybe a feature not really needed?

Did not know where to post, so move where appropriate.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's an easy way to change settings and you can usually find a way to look at it in a dark place if needed. I never (deliberately) shoot with the screen, although when I had it on the neck strap I had a bunch of "auto-shots". (Some were pretty good, which annoyed me.) It;'s not really much of a choice with Oly now, but if I could have saved $75 by getting a non-touch LCD I would have.

• Like Like x 1
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I assume you refer to touch screen in a camera.
    I do not think it is useless, it can give you more control option with the camera.
    like touch focus, or the new feature of the G5 where you can control it even when using the EVF.
    Even though I prefer camera with more direct control like the Pana G series or the OMD.
    Another reason is that touch screen enable the manufacturer to produce cheap and basic camera with allot of features.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    There's the reason for its existence, and you can disable it when unneeded.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Not much good, however, you cannot see it to use it. I generally try to avoid it, so to learn how to use without it.

I still think it is like auto features, nice; but not needed.

6. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    but it has a cost...I will check manual on how to halt it, maybe save some battery power?

7. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    I like quickly setting focus point by touch. In fact, I have a hard time using a camera without that feature now!

8. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    pretty useful for macro shots in weird angles

9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I don't like them. After inadvertently tripping the shutter several times on the E-M5 by brushing the sensitive screen, I shut the function off and have never looked back. I'll admit, though, that my preferred methods of shooting are pretty neanderthal, even with all the bells and whistles available to me. My favorite thing about the E-M5 is that it has two top control wheels that I can use for aperture and shutter speed to shoot manual.

10. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I think the touch sensor consumes much less power than the display itself, so if you're concerned about battery power you might want to look into disabling the whole screen (or just flip it, if you use GHx or Gx body?).

On OMD you can just click on the yellow icon that shows up on the left side (oval icon of a button and finger) to toggle between: disabled, touch-focus only, touch-sf-shutter.

Try em out :)

• Like Like x 1