1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Totally Tubular custom camera bag

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by thinkcooper, Feb 12, 2012.

1. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    My friend Lauren makes custom messenger bags, backpacks and small bags from recycled bike tires and tubes. A few months ago I asked her to build one for me from a couple of my retired cyclocross race tires. About $120 and a week later I had a custom bag, measured to fit all my gear, constructed from a pair old Michelin greenies and a bunch of tubes. The strap was measured to fit, the interior liner is an old recycled vinyl billboard from a local bike shop and the body is a mish-mash of spent tubes. I had a liner constructed to fit various lenses and all. This holds the large kit, it's what I throw into the truck or car when I want to have the full set of stuff to work with.

Her website:
    Totally_Tubular_Design

And some images of the bag

6866738449_db4077fd78_b.

6866763675_a6502935fc_b.

6866774079_3df2e86078_b.

• Like Like x 6
  2. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Really outstanding idea, and bag. Love it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. thinkcooper

Oct 29, 2011
    If you're a cyclist, it's pretty cool to see your old tires put to good use.

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Wow! Great work, and kudos on the reuse of the tires.

5. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Very nice custom work !
    Just one question : doesn't all that rubber smell when it gets hot ???

CU,
    Rafael

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That was on my mind, too!
    I was also wondering how heavy is this bag when empty...

Nice custom work anyway...

7. I like the repair patch on the top of the bag. That's a really cool touch. One thing I do notice though is that you don't have enough lenses. You need to get more lenses :p

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This has always been one of the biggest advantages of the PEN system for me... being able to fit that many more lenses in the bag. ;) Especially with my Mini, I have so much more space now.

These bags are totally cool!

9. No, that's not completely right. It also means you can carry more bodies as well :p

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That's VERY cool. As a formerly hard-core cyclist (even had a cross bike - not into enough pain to actually RACE cross but I rode that thing with my mtb friends on some pretty crazy single-track), there's a side of me that would love to get one of those. But to say I don't need another camera bag is an overwhelming understatement and I don't tend to save my spent tires and tubes, living in a small place and needing to get rid of stuff that just takes up space. My bags are generally very nondescript too and, as nice as that is, it would get noticed on the street a lot more than the stuff I carry now.

But incredibly cool nonetheless.

-Ray

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is true... But I carry one in each bag. xD I've got one for the backpack, one for the satchel, and one for the belt-pouch.

12. thinkcooper

Oct 29, 2011
    Lauren washes all the tires and tubes before she builds the bag, that helps reduce the smell. But after a week of being out in the open, the rubber odor disappears. The bag isn't as leightweight as a cordura ballistic nylon bag but it's not heavy. Loaded with glass? Then it's kinda heavy. This is my home base bag, if I'm gonna travel and need to walk around the street with gear, I'll go with a smaller more discreet bag.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm used to heavier weight because I habitually use a thick leather bag. Does the rubber ever feel like it wants to expand from the weight, or from the heat?

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh... forget the camera bags... this is the one I want (off her Facebook page)!
    [​IMG]
    (Dunno if this will work, as I'm linking directly to the facebook pic... if you guys can't see anything, let me know.)

15. thinkcooper

Oct 29, 2011
    I don't think we get "hot" in Santa Cruz. But knowing how durable tubes and tires are under wide ranges of ambient temps on pavement I'd say no. Extreme pressure would be a problem, like over 150 psi, but the bag isn't all that air tight from all the needle pokes. :wink:

16. thinkcooper

Oct 29, 2011
    Yeah - that dog collar is cool, and the image is there for all to see. If you do contact Lauren, be sure to tell her that Cooper sent you?

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hehe... that makes perfect sense. I bet it would be a pretty water-safe bag in rainy weather, though.

I'm always worrying about rain protection on my bags, whether I need to worry or not. xD This'll give me some time to wait out the weather-sealed OM-D, lol.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You got it! :D :2thumbs:

19. thinkcooper

Oct 29, 2011
    The bag insert has a flap to provide a little more rain worthiness, but I'd only go out in heavy rain for a quick dash or when under an umbrella. There's not a continuous zipper around the top flap of the bag. But it doesn't absorb any water, beads up like a duck.

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sounds good enough for me. :) My concern is just getting caught unawares... My leather bag is actually quite good for that, though.