1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Total noob question from a years long Panasonic guy.....

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tanngrisnir3, Feb 18, 2015.

1. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    As I just found out, in part to my regret, that the standard setting for Auto-ISO in manual mode for a GH4 is 'on' (won't make that mistake again) it occurred to me that I've never bothered to find out if the various settings (noise reduction, sharpening, contrast, etc....) in-camera affect RAW files as well.

And, if they do, since I can adjust them later out of the camera in PP, is there any particular advantage to doing so in-camera?

I just stumbled upon this article, and it's got me wondering......

http://www.supertone.dk/#!GH4-Optim...oo/c24o4/8E18836A-F271-4A14-AF0D-C575B9D5F4B6

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I believe the in-camera tuning only affects jpegs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The only camera manifacturer that I am aware of that makes modifies their RAW files are Fuji. I believe everyone else leaves RAW as RAW.

The only exception I can think of is possibly the new Oly EM5 Mk2 hi res RAW might be modified in some fashion, but it is still too new to know for sure.

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Just curious why you don't like Auto-ISO in manual mode . . . I seem to recall Panasonic fans lamenting its absence in earlier cameras. I hadn't even been aware that it was implemented in the GH4.

5. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Because as a landscape/architecture shooter for 95% of my work, I live at base ISO.

I found out the hard way this past Sunday, doing fashion shooting in a studio with variable light, not knowing it was on, and some of the shots ended up being 1600-3200 ISO, showing grain/noise in skin and hair. Not good.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I do think it's a good feature to have, especially for street photography, where you want a certain shutter speed to deal with motion and aperture to have sufficient DOF. But it's totally wrong to have set for other applications, so just turn it off.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Have you found out whether you can change the default to 'OFF'? If you are stuck with 'ON', you could set the camera up manually and then save all the settings to a Custom mode.
    They don't

Does not apply to RAW, but the advantage is if you shoot RAW+JPEG, the JPEGs will be processed and if you like them enough you can forego working on the RAW files and even delete them if sure you won't want to reassess the shots later.

8. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    You have me quite puzzled with this one. I use Manual mode for the majority of my still photography, almost never use auto-ISO, and when I turn on my GH4 it is still at the last ISO value I had selected.

You must have switched it to auto ISO. Even when I change the mode to P, A, or S the ISO remains at the last value I had selected, same if I go to Motion Picture mode (I live in Manual mode there also).

Unless, of course, I select AUTO. Then it's in AUTO until I manually select a specific value.