1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Total noob need help deciding fastt!!!

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by greye05, Aug 14, 2012.

1. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Hello first time here, so I'm a Student and i have always love photography and now i will like to learn it. I'm a complete noob and I will commit to photography. Being a student my budget is really low ($300) and i have been reading and doing research and i would like to shoot legacy lens minolta, m39,m42 fd... i want to go all manual and maybe later get a new m4/3 lens to use for on the fly.
    My options are to get a
    e-pl1 body only for $125 and get the rest on lens adapter and accessories
    g1 cheap if is good i would spend maybe 150-180 on it
    gf2
    if you can tell witch one you think is the best bang for the buck and if you think of any other camera i will appreciated.
    THX
    and what are the best legacy lens M42 or M39

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I vote for the E-PL1 and some decent glass. Most M39 is kind of expensive; FD is a solid choice.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I think the E-PL1 is a good choice but if you're going to use legacy glass I'd say the G1 might be a better value as it has a very good EVF built-in where it'll be an additional $175 (used) for the VF2. It also has a larger grip and a bit better ergonomics so using m43 lenses will feel more balanced.

Adapted lens wise Promit is right Canon FD is a great bang for the buck. M42 mount gives you lots of lenses to choose from a variety of makers such as Pentax Super Takumars, Pentacon and some Russian lenses like Helios, Industar and Mir.

4. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    O and what about a Nex-3 will minolta lens mount right in? and lumix gf2

5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Still need an adapter for both.

6. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    ok and do you guys think the e-pm1 could be a better investment or is the gf2 , e-pl1 a better option

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    the fast af of the epm1 would be wasted if you want to use adapted lenses...
    id save the cash and buy the epl1

or, if ur giving up on adapted lenses, u can get the epm1 with kit lens for $300

8. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    I'm confused now about what to get i really dont like the screen on the e-pl1 and i would now like to have a EVF like some of you said but for the e-pl1 is to expensive. Do you think a g series lumix will be good. I really like how the e-pl2 looks is beautiful. The bad thing is my budget originally i was going to get a d5100 and some lens but i cant spend that kind of money. Here in Puerto Rico the economy is really terrible and I'm going to buy this camera with the money i have left from Fafsa. The pay me to study :D and I only paid $800 for 15 credicts, so thats about 1900 left for me per semester but i have to use that money to eat, my car, etc, etc,etc,etc,etc.......

O if any of you would like any information about the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez (Colegio or Rum) i would be happy to answer any question. Is the best university in Puerto Rico and one of the best of Latin America ranking in the top 50 in general and top 20 for engineering. Two times a year Nasa, GE, Look Heed Martin.... pick up lots of students here and is one of the cheapest University oi not the cheapest, credit cos like $60 each I mine are $56.

9. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    bump, anyone else

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The G series are very good cameras (as are all m43 cameras really). Form a budget perspective the G series is the best bang for the buck because it has a flip out LCD AND a very good EVF. If you prefer the Pen style camera then an E-PL1 is a good camera as well but you do have to put up with a lower resolution LCD and having to buy an EVF. If you're budget is around $300 USD then a G1 (as long as you don't need video) or an E-PL1 (and learn to use it with the LCD only to start. You MIGHT be able to fit a decent used E-PM1 in that also. That should give you enough for a kit lens or perhaps an adapted lens+adapter and some other bits. If you want to buy something with a warranty then a refurbished E-PL1 is your best bet.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I wouldn't say any of them are really a "better" investment. They all use essentially the same sensor so it really comes down to size and features. If you are determined to go with legacy glass remember that only Olympus bodies offer IBIS.

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You will need an EVF if you plan on shooting legacy glass for a while, believe me. The small bodies like GF2, E-PL1 are nice but not ideal for manual lenses. Old lenses are heavy and they just don't balance well on small bodies. I say go for a G1 or G2.

13. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Ok guys thx for all the advice, I joust bought a used G1 for $137 i think it was a good deal. So now i have 160 for lens, adapters, Sdhc card but I will try to keep my budget ans low as possible. What do you suggest for cheap but good legacy lens, i like the minolta ones, but are canon fd better?

14. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Since your budget is tight, maybe someone would offer to send you a lens they have laying around... If I had one I certainly would.

15. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    that would be great