Torn over what UWA for OMD

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by erb3742, Oct 11, 2012.

1. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    Eric
    I am really torn over what UWA to purchase for my OMD. I really like the images from the Panasonic 7-14mm though the lens flare issue is a huge turn off. I am traveling soon and know I will be disappointed if it turns up in a bunch of my images.

Therefore I am thinking about the Oly 9-18 even though it isn't quite as sharp or wide. Plus if I save the money by going to the Oly 9-18 I might try and squeeze the 12mm into my budget to take wide angle shots while walking around at night or indoors.

So have it at with the comments, hopefully you guys can share some good personal experiences with both lenses that can help me make my decision!

2. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

I never used the 7-14 so I cannot comment on the sharpness of that lens vs the Oly 9-18. I do however own that lens and I find it to be a very decent performer indeed, sharp enough for me anyway. Yes it is not as wide as the Panny, however it is much more compact, and I like the fact it takes filters. Last but not least it is about 50-60% of the cost of the Panny lens, that wil get you a long way into buying the 12mm for low light of course....

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Any thought given to the Panasonic 12-35mm? Not some much UWA as just wide, but it does give you dust/weather sealing. Not as fast or small as the Oly 12mm, but where I am using it most of the time (F4), it seems at least as sharp, if not better. I am probably going to sell my 12mm now (because of the 12-35 and in anticipation of buying the 17/1.8).

4. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Faced with the same decision a few months ago, I chose the Olympus 9-18mm. I haven't been disappointed. It is an excellent lens, sharp with low distortion. Its size and low weight make it ideal for the small, lightweight outfit I wanted from m4/3.

Of course I was unsure whether I was doing the right thing, but my experience with the Olympus 9-18mm has been one of great satisfaction and pleasure. Given the benefit of hindsight, I would have made the same choice, but I would have felt a lot happier about making it.

5. kartonos

kartonos Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    Pany 14mm pancake with wide angle converter is a good WA kit for my omd.
    11mm (22mm ff), f2.5, sharp, no flare problem so far and small form.
    I'm going to bring this lens to my trip next week.

6. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I've owned both lenses and now have the 7-14.
    The 9-18 is a great lens and you won't be able to tell the difference in IQ between it and the 7-14. The 9-18 is more compact in its retracted state but the same size once expanded. I chose the 7-14 because I wanted the extra 2mm but the 9-18 is far better value for money.
    I use a Pany G3 and G5 and have had no issues with flare using the 7-14.

Paul

7. An UWA lens has always been one of my favourite travel lenses, and I have a few 40" canvas prints on my walls from my old Sigma 10-20mm that were taken while travelling with my old Canon DSLRs. I don't see the Oly 9-18mm as a step down from that lens and in fact seems to be less prone to flare when the sun is close to the edge of the frame. Unfortunately I would find the purple hazing/flare with the 7-14mm too much of a risk to consider it with the E-M5.

8. dancogan

dancogan Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    SE Michigan
    Lens flare is a problem with almost any UWA. Don't shoot into bright light and/or shade the lens. The Panny 7-14 is a killer lens!

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I have and use the 7-14/4 on an OM-D and Panasonic bodies (was GX1, now G5). I don't see any differences in ordinary use, notwithstanding the prominent threads about the flare issue.

10. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    What about the 8mm fisheye or the 7.5mm and then defishing the image pp. I have the 8mm and I haven't experienced any purple flare issues when it's on my OMD. I was considering trading my 8mm for the 7-14 for a long time but after reading all the posted issues with this lens and the OMD, i'm not interested anymore.

The 8 and the 12 are two of my favorite lenses, but I really like UWA so I'm a bit baised.

11. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I've been mulling over the same choices.

I rented a Panny 7-14 for use with my OM-D E-M5 and did experience some of the purple lens flare. I use my 12-50 kit lens A LOT and would like something wider, but I'm not sure whether the 9-18 is wide enough to make that big a difference from the 12-50. (The 7-14 was quite a bit wider than the 12-50, but there's the purple lens flare issue......<sigh>)

Also considering the 7.5 fisheye, but I much prefer a UWA zoom. If I want fisheye effects, I can always use my Nikon 10.5 fish with an adapter.

Decisions, decisions......:confused:

12. Iamnotdenny

Iamnotdenny New to Mu-43

Sep 27, 2012
    I'd go with the 9-18 unless you're certain you won't be shooting in situations that'll cause flare, and if that's the case the 7-14 is awesome.

13. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I was in the same dilemma yes the p7_14 looks like a sharp lens but the issues on the omd turned me down then spending 500-600 just to get the 9mm of the o9-18 made me get the p12-35 and the s7.5 fish eye and I don't regret my decisions at all the p12-35 is an outstanding lens that even made me sell my primes and I do use the nikon 15 2.8 lens profile on lightroom to de fish the samyang with awesome results. Honestly the s7.5 is an awesome lens for the price and it's sharp from corner to corner which is awesome and something you don't see that often in sub $300 lenses. My 2 cents

14. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I own and use the 7-14 on the OMD and I honestly think the flare issuse has been blown way out of proportion. Granted, I'm not a professional photographer, but I have not personally been bothered at all by flare. Any lens can flare- just ask Apple ; ) - and I feel the sharpness, color rendition, and added reach of the 7-14 to be more than worthwhile 'sacrifices' for any flare.

15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I've got a 9-18mm but have always lusted after the 7-14mm because of it's better IQ and wider FL. But one big thing in favor of the 9-18mm is that it functions as a pretty good normal lens too--18mm being about 35mm FF, which is at the wide end of what's considered 'normal'. Because of that I find myself leaving it on the camera a lot--a lot more than I think I'd leave a pure UWA like the 7-14mm on my camera. So while the 7-14mm offers 7 mm over 9mm, which is a big advantage, the 9-18mm offer 18mm over 14mm, which is just about as big on the tele end of things. For me it's a nice plus.

• Like Like x 1
  16. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I'd be interested in knowing what wide angle converter you are using?

17. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Ive owned both. I have had internal reflections on several Panasonic bodies with the 7-14. Personally if there is any real world differences in image quality I never saw them. The 9-18 is a much more versatile lens IMHO.

Ill be getting a 9-18 this time. For me the 7-14 cant be trusted when shooting into the sun.

Gordon

18. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Yes, I forgot about this in my earlier post, but you are right, it can function as a more all round lens. I too quite often leave it on my camera a lot, especially when shooting cityscapes... you have the wideangle 18mm equivalent but the 36mm is a very useful all round setting, saves on changing lenses...

19. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    Eric
    Pulled the trigger

Thanks for all of the feedback.

I pulled the trigger on Cameta for the 9-18 refurb ($549) and the 12mm ($659). I think this will give me the best options for my trip for a little more than the price of just the 7-14mm.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Wish I'd seen this earlier, you can get the 12 new(not refurb) for $669.