1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Torn looking for a compact m4/3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by battleaxe, Nov 7, 2012.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I currently own a G2 and really like it a lot, but it's really not jacket/suite pocket friendly. I also want to get a pancake(more than likely it will be the 14mm partially because of price).

It seems like price wise the GF3 with the 14mm is the best deal as you can get it for about $280 open box(not sure how long it will last). However, it also seems like if I try I can get the E-PM1(refurb more than likely) for about $330 paired with the 14mm. I am indifferent to the Oly jpeg colors as I can use RAW to get the colors to my liking. As for IBIS, I do like it, but all the talk of it not working right has me worried a bit.

Which is the more durable camera, that would be the better social camera. I know both are about the same size with the GF3 being a taller, but also a bit less wide vs the E-MP1, so I am not sure if that would make a difference in a coat or jacket pocket.

There is also a part of me that say sell the G2 & go for the GX1 + EVF, as having two cameras seem a bit excessive/redundant(at least in my mind). But, then I am not sure how well it would work in a jacket pock(sans evf that is). Plus, with the 14mm and evf it would be the priciest option.

Any ideas, or suggestions? Thank you.

2. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Why not opt for the epm2 or epl5? Its a decent upgrade image quality wise... Although the price is...

Sent from my iPod touch using Mu-43 App

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    My personal answer to this question was, heresy here I know, the Canon G12. M43 cameras are small, but IMHO they are not pocket cameras.

I suggest you take a look at the G10/11/12 models: RAW output, fast high-quality lenses with good useful zoom range, eye-level viewfinder for quick shooting and more stable camera hold (important in low light) plus lots of features. My G12 has an articulating LCD, which is an important thing for me. It also has an automatic HDR mode that is kind of cute.

It's a pudgy pocketful but remember its dimensions include the lens. By the time you add a lens to any M43 body, I think the result will be similar or worse. It's the lens that really determines the pocketability of a camera IMHO. Kind of like the grip length determining the pocketability of a pistol.

Among the G10/11/12 there are significant feature differences including the lens and whether the LCD is articulated. A non-articulated LCD probably reduces the pudginess of the camera a bit.

For small size and high quality, but no viewfinder, check the Canon S95/S100 and their relatives.

Have you found this site? Compare camera dimensions side by side Very slick.

ROFL! You obviously haven't been hanging out here long enough!

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I would suggest looking at the lx5/xz1/canon s90 95 or s100. Now those are pocketable social cameras.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The GF-3 is severely limited. Forget about extra "features" like IBIS and differences in JPG color (although you will be amazed by the new AWB system of the E-PM1 and newer PEN cameras, and that can't be overlooked). Those are bonuses to this day and age, but what about the basic functions of a camera that every serious camera has had for decades, like a hotshoe for flash!? Where is it? Plus EVF compatibility (two high quality EVFs to choose from, which will also work with a dozen other bodies, unlike the one for the GX-1 which works only on the GX-1), as well as external microphone jack if you shoot any video (audio is as important to video as light is to photography). Yes there are little "Panny vs Oly" differences which in my mind are insignificant, but the entire hardware package available for the GF-3 is severely lacking - when in the same sized package you could get a camera which behaves like and has all the functionality as any full-sized system camera.

6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The GF3 with the various pancakes is my pocket camera now, I have the 14/2.5, 20/1.7 and 14-42z but the 20/1.7 practically lives on it. I also have the GH1 and GH2 plus 6 other Dslrs, so size is my main concern for a pocket cam.

As Ned points out, the GF3 is quite limited with no provision for external flash, EVF or mics, but it is a very good pocket camera. Your G2 can handle what's missing.

7. battleaxe

Well the epm2 is more than I'd line to spend, so ring off the bat no. I don't mind the lack of a hot shoe as the G2 would fit that need. I just want a compact and durable m43 camera as there are some good prices to be had. I prefer it over cameras like the Lx5 and S95 because of the extra flexibility. Plus under 340 for more recent m43 cameras with the 14mm seems pretty good.

8. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I think the RX100 is the best pocketable camera available today, but it is kind of expensive.

9. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I've found the RX100 to be better than GF3+14mm or 20mm in my limited testing/ability. I personally like the GF3 as a 2nd cheap/limited use body compared to the E-PM1 or E-PL3. It feels better in the hand (or my hands) and I'm comfortable using the touchscreen. I think build quality on the GF3 is easily better than the E-PM1 and about the same as the E-PL3. It's nice to have a tilt screen too as on the E-PL3 plus the mode dial.

10. battleaxe

I think the E-pl3 with the 14mm it would be a bit more than I'd like to spend, but I do like the controls of it better vs the E-PM1. I thought the E-PM1 was made of metal, while the GF3 is more plastic-y?

How suit or jacket pocketable would the GX1 be out of curiosity?

RX100 would be near perfect for my, but the price is not worth it for me, and I kind of want a prime too.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If you can increase your budget by another $100 or so, you should be able to find a used/like new GX1 and Pana 14mm, which will be as pocketable* and more capable than any of the options you mentioned. Otherwise if $340 is a hard limit, I personally would go the refurb E-PM1 route although the GF3 is also a very good camera and has menus you'll be used to as a Panasonic user.

*I've owned all of these cameras (GX1, E-PM1, GF3), and they are about the same size.

12. rdo

rdo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2012
    Hello,

I vote for GF3 - mostly because you said you have a G2 and shoot in raw, so you can reuse your PP techniques.
    I own a GF3 and EPL1 - GF3s touchscreen is a big, big plus for me, but i don't like the JPEG images - so i'm using the EPL1 because i hate doing PP.

Compared GF3 to EPM1 - GF3 wins with the touch screen, better build quality and build-in flash. The flash makes GF3 a bit more self contained and durable.

I cannot say about GX1 - on paper the dimensions look like a smaller EPL1, with very good image quality - a perfect combo:), but it is still too expensive for my definition of "carry everywhere, don't think about it" camera.

Bottom line - i use my cameras mainly as a point and shoot - frankly neither is pocketable, but also they are not uncomfortable to keep everywhere with me. If you want a really pocketable solution - you need to look something else, but keep in mind that XZ1 and even s100 are also not really pocket friendly.

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Check out the picture of E-PM2 with the Pana 14 next to the RX100 that Amin posted in this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/f42/little-brother-got-my-e-pm2-35808/ That combination should be perfect? Well, the OP did say that E-PM2 was too expensive. There should be E-PM1's bodies to be had inexpensively now or soon. I have an E-PM1 and it is a great little camera.

14. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I've got a GF1 and GF3, to me both cameras are different. The GF1 is a more serious camera and the GF3 is fun to use and with the touch screen, it is slick to use. I did try the EPM1 in the shop when I puchased the GF3 and preferred the handling of the GF3.
    I accept that there are limitations with the GF3, but it is my second body and it does what I want it to. For a truly pocketable experience, the Olympus 15mm f8 body cap lens works a treat with this camera.

15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Right now I am running a G2/GF2 setup. The GF2 is perfectly capable as a backup/secondary cam and quite compact with a pancake lens. It has a hot shoe but I think people are over-emphasizing this feature. If I ever need to attach a flash I will use the G2.

If you're just looking for a compact backup/secondary camera to complement your main cam, then any of the compact bodies out there will do.

16. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    I'd consider the GX1. It's actually quite small, has a nice sensor, has a control dial (a must for me), plus options for EVF and such. Relatively inexpensive (I bought the kit, sold the kit lens).

17. martink111

martink111 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    While I would have to agree that the hardware limitations of the GF3 are a pain, I've found that the camera is overall very decent to work with. The touchscreen is well implemented, it is plenty responsive, and output (at least in RAW) is equal to other 12MP series cameras of that generation. I too got mine for a steal- use the money saved for a nice lens and upgrade bodies later.

18. battleaxe

Is the GX1 with a the 14mm small enough to fit in a suit pocket? If so I may just wait a bit and go for it. Then again the GF3 + 14mm for $270(pretty much makes the body cost around $90) still very tempting to me, and maybe could deal with the limitations as I do like the touch screen on my G2. Damn it too many nice options now.

What is the cheapest I can get the GX1 now, body only or with the standard kit? I take jpeg color output is different vs the GF3?

19. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Amazon Warehouse has the GX1 and kit lens for 340. A week or so ago, Amazon Warehouse had the GX1, body only, for 286.

20. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    My GF1 can fit into a suit jacket pocket with the 14mm lens, the GX1 is a little bit smaller than the GF1.