1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Torn between the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye or the Sigma 30mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by woody112704, Dec 29, 2012.

1. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    All I have right now is the kit lens with the epl-5 and I've been going through the Rokinon image thread lately, and love what people have shot there. I love the fish eye effect, it makes some interesting photos. I also really like what I've seen of the Sigma.

The only thing is, I could buy the Sigma and get LR4 for the price of the Rokinon but that lens seems like so much fun! Any thoughts?

2. adsinger

adsinger Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 2, 2010
    First Coast, FL
    There is pretty much no comparison between those two. I would lean towards the Sigma as a first non-kit lens. It's a slightly long normal, it's faster than the kit for low light use. It can serve as a pretty fair portrait lens.

The Rokinon is a specialty lens. Unless you love semi-abstracts it will, I think, quickly become a novelty and rarely be used.

Consider also that fisheye photos tend to require more photo editing for distortion and to compensate for widely varying lighting across the span of the photo. That means you'll likely want Lightroom or some other sophisticated software.

Lightroom is a great photo making tool. I consider it essential. Working with it will make you a better photographer and certainly yield nicer results. So if you can afford the Sigma and LR4, I'd definitely recommend you go that way.

Alan.

3. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I have both and love them both - ditto LR4!

I'd say don't despair, Sigma prices appear to be heading downwards, there are some very good deals on the Rokinon/Samyang too and Lightroom prices suddenly drop whenever there's a new version on the way!

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    As one of the contributors to the Rokinon thread I would recommend that you first obtain LR4.
    This is an essential tool to any :43: user.
    Shot using RAW and learn the ins out of LR4 only after this stage i would recommend getting another lens.
    In term of what lens to get it depends on your shooting style and needs.

If you need an UWA then the Rokinon is your way but if you need to shot portraits or low light then head the Sigma way.
    Either way i am sure you will enjoy and in the end get both.

5. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Thank you guys for your quick responses. Could you point me to some good tutorials for LR4?

6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I know that there are also Release candidates for LR4 that seem to run almost continually. RC2 ended Oct. 31, RC3 started Nov. 5th.

7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Adobe got some on their site and there are a few good ones on Youtube.
    Just Google a bit:smile:

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    If you're speaking of books, Scott Kelby's "Lightroom4 Book For Digital Photographers" I've found helpful as a tutorial. Mr. Kelby's book is a "soup to nuts" book.

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter): Scott Kelby: 9780321819581: Amazon.com: Books

It is available in soft cover or Kindle versions.

Victoria Bampton's "Adobe Lightroom 4 – The Missing FAQ" is a terrific "How Do I...?" book, offering specific answers to specific questions. I've found it a valuable companion.

Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 - The Missing FAQ - Real Answers to Real Questions Asked by Lightroom Users (9780956003072): Victoria Bampton: Books

If you purchase Ms. Bampton's book in soft cover you also receive a key to download .PDF, E-Book, and Kindle versions at no additional cost.

HTH

Jim